Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Armrest?

Armrest?

Hello everyone. Which are rest does everyone prefer. I am getting a new chair and I'm trying to decide on regular desk arms or tubular. I've never had tubular so I'm interested in others opinions

Quote Originally Posted by dispatchjen View Post
    Hello everyone. Which are rest does everyone prefer. I am getting a new chair and I'm trying to decide on regular desk arms or tubular. I've never had tubular so I'm interested in others opinions
    I prefer none at all. Why do you feel the need for them?

Back when I was in rehab a thousand years ago all of the demo chairs (first generation Quickies and Quadras) had armrests and I got used to them. When it came time to order my first chair -- a Quickie 2 -- a para who lived near the rehab facility and who volunteered to teach wheelchair skills put the kibosh on my ordering armrests, for which I am forever grateful. As a T4 complete with no trunk control my balance isn't the greatest, but I've never missed not having armrests (or anti-tippers) -- less is more!

Hey Jen,

My answer would depend on what you use the arm rest for. I've had both and the tublars are nice for pressure relief and balancing. They are also very minimal. However, if you want to use them for resting your arms for long periods of time, I suggest the desk arms as they are much more comfortable. I no longer use arm rests at all, though.

WG

I really need the for balance especially when I have muscle spasms

It's just as easy to grab the frame or the wheels when you spasm. Again, it comes down to what you're used to. Chances are if your chair didn't have armrests, you'd adapt to it and probably pretty quickly. And lo and behold you have a chair that suddenly weighs less and is less bulky.

I'd suggest tubular then.

Hello "dispatchjen,"
    I checked your profile, but I didn't find a disclosure of your level of injury. Rather than make a guess about your particular situation, I will just mention my experience and offer some thoughts. Many paras prefer not to have armrests. Most quads need them and prefer them to help with balance and weight shifts. I am a quad and when I used a manual wheelchair, I had the tubular armrests (at the time there were no options on the chairs I had). I used armrests to help with weight shifts, but I found the tubular ones difficult because even with non slip foam the tube did not offer enough of a surface area and my forearm would slip off of the armrest easily, especially in the case of a spasm, while weight shifting. Waterfall, desk type armrests give you a broader surface for more support.
    Another consideration for armrests is how they attach to the chair. There are Fixed (bolted or welded to the frame), Dual Post (two vertical tubes that insert into the side frame), Single Post/T-arm (one vertical tube that inserts into the side frame), and Flip down/Cantilever (armrest attaches to the back upright canes and can be flipped upward to allow clearance). Of course, your choices are limited by the offerings of the specific wheelchair you are considering. On my manual chairs, I always preferred armrests that I could easily get out of the way to allow me the ability to get closer to a table or desk if necessary and give me the greatest clearance for transfers.

At the end of the day, it all depends on what works for you and makes you comfortable; not what others do or think you should do.
    All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 04-20-2011 at 07:53 PM.

You stated (in another topic) that you don't need to use a wider accessible bathroom stall, and that if you fall out of your chair or if the chair is tipped over with you in it, that you can just hop right back up by yourself. So given what you say about your physical abilities, high degree of function, and the great physical control of your body, it's strange that you'd need armrests for balance?

I don't know anybody under sixty, paras or quads who have armrests on a manuell chair.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Armrest

Chick u r correct I did say that and u stick by it. I can get back u if I fall and no I don't need the use if a larger stall. I have alot of upper body strength so much that I can pick my self up but when I have muscle spasms and my body tenses up I don't want to fall out of my chair. It's better to not to fall than to fall risk hurting myself and then pick myself up