Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want To Buy a Scooter. Any for Sale?

Want To Buy a Scooter. Any for Sale?

I have a friend that needs a scooter. He's a young guy, about 18 years of age. I've known him since he was a little kid, small enough that when I was able bodied, I could hold him with one arm. He was born with his disability. I'm not sure what his disability is called but he's unable to straighten his legs and when he sits down, his legs spasm much like mine do.

The only way he can get around is with a walker or chair. This kid suffers from other disabilities and sometimes these methods of mobility are difficult for him. So he needs a scooter sometimes but he doesn't own one. So I'd like to buy him one.

I've researched and looked around and I've nailed it down to a good choice... The Pride Go-Go Elite Traveller (4-wheel model)

Thing is, these are expensive, even in this category, which are some of the least expensive. So I'm looking for a pre-owned.

Anyone here selling? Or know of someone selling? Or know of a place that sells them brand new at ridiculously low prices?

Thank you!

I BOUGHT ONE 2 MONTHS AGO used <but brand new> at a local pawn shop here in florida for $400 ... but i know craigslist are littered with them .....

Quote Originally Posted by GJ2 View Post
    I BOUGHT ONE 2 MONTHS AGO used <but brand new> at a local pawn shop here in florida for $400 ... but i know craigslist are littered with them .....
    Yeah, I've been hittin' Kijiji, Craigslist, ebay and searching for used or lowest prices brand new on online stores. The stores up here in Canada charge double compared to U.S. store prices.

If you're looking for a real cheap one then yeah, I agree that Craigslist would be a good place to start looking. I bought mine new but it's kindof a special type of scooter- folding portable so it fits in my trunk and can come upstairs if needed.

There are places you can rent scooters and I'd recommend doing that before buying him one. Have him test it out- which controls does he like? How big is too big for him to use? How far does he need it to go? All the reasons we test drive chairs, basically. But... that's not quite what you asked is it?

eBay (classifieds too), Craigslist, The Scooter Store (payment plans) and I'd also contact your local senior supply center (not quite like a DME but close) and tell them what you're planning to buy it for- they may have leads. Also check your local Center For Independent Living- they may have one he can be loaned. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRing View Post
    There are places you can rent scooters and I'd recommend doing that before buying him one. Have him test it out- which controls does he like? How big is too big for him to use? How far does he need it to go? All the reasons we test drive chairs, basically. But... that's not quite what you asked is it?
    You bet. He's rented before. The travel/portable Go-Go Elite was perfect for him. It could easily be taken apart and put together by his mom. And fits in any vehicle. He likes the four wheel model as well, for outdoor use.

I'll keep scouring the internet. Thanks guys!

I FOUND 1 here there asking 600 hardly used 4 wheel gogo if you could find out shipping and import fees id help ya pack an ship it .... and talk the person down on cost if thats a option for ya ..... also ship without battery makes it lighter and buy a brand new one ...if the cost is that much more reasonable buying it here ...............

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/for/2280651480.html

Quote Originally Posted by GJ2 View Post
    I FOUND 1 here there asking 600 hardly used 4 wheel gogo if you could find out shipping and import fees id help ya pack an ship it .... and talk the person down on cost if thats a option for ya ..... also ship without battery makes it lighter and buy a brand new one ...if the cost is that much more reasonable buying it here ...............

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/for/2280651480.html
    Damn. That thing is in awesome shape. And thanks for offering to help. That is classy. I just found an Elite about a forty minute drive away and I think they'll let it go cheap. I'm just messaging with them now. It isn't in the shape this one is but it isn't too far off. If this one is a No-Go rather, I may just have to take you up on your kind offer. Thank you.

The people said that they would take $600 if it was going to help someone. It's being picked up now. Pics to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad View Post
    The people said that they would take $600 if it was going to help someone. It's being picked up now. Pics to follow.
    Hell Yeah- that's awesome. Great of you to do this for him. Kudos.

Here it is!

It was only used once, basically just tested out only to find that it wasn't what the lady could use, as she had suffered a stroke.

Other than a bit of dust from being in storage, it's brand new.