Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I use Microcyn?

How do I use Microcyn?

Hello All,

This is my first post to this forum. I came across it when researching the use of Microcyn to treat reoccurring UTI. I have been a Quad for just over 20 years now. Everything else about being in a wheelchair is something that is hard but manageable. The UTI's are the only thing that really scare me. They are constant and after repeated antibiotic use are now becoming very resistant. I am desperate to find another way to deal with them. I am very intrigued about what I am reading about Microcyn. Can someone give me a bit of a tutorial on how to use this? Where do I get it? Do I need a prescription? When I get it, how do I use it? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thnk you.

Kyle

Hi Kyle,
    Welcome the the Care Cure Community. Sorry you are having such a difficult time with urinary tract infections (UTI).
    I would suggest that you take the time to pour through the thread that Suzanne started:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=133414
    Yes, the thread is long, but you will learn a lot about the experiences of others with Microcyn/Vetericyn/Puracyn (M/V/P). Many of us use Vetericyn Wound & Infection for UTIs instead of Microcyn. It is the a bit less expensive, but it is the same formulation as either Microcyn or Puracyn. Vetericyn comes in two strengths, the original comes in a clear blue trigger spray bottle, the stronger formulation (Vetericyn VF) comes in an opaque white trigger spray bottle. To date, one of the most popular vendors of Vetericyn is Pets Truly. Although there are several others that members have mentioned.
    http://www.petstruly.com/ (I don't think they sell the original formulation, just the VF)
    http://www.vetericyn.com/ (I don't think they sell the VF formulation, just the original)
    http://www.valleyvet.com/
    For further reading about the technology:
    http://www.oculusis.com/
    http://www.puracyn.com/
    http://www.innovacyn.com/

You do not need a prescriptions, although Microcyn is prescribed by some physicians for skin conditions. Work is being done to get Microcyn approved for prescription reimbursement for the treatment of UTIs.
    Do you intermittent cath, have an indwelling urethra or supra pubic catheter?
    The Vetericyn (amount is determined by what your body tolerates) is instilled into the bladder using a syringe through a catheter and held in the bladder (time determined by what your body tolerates). Some people experience autonomic symptoms either because of the amount they instill or the length of time they hold the Vetericyn in the bladder. I have found it is best to start slowly, i.e., instill 20 cc for 5 minutes and work from there given the results you get and your body's tolerance.
    Try searching the site for other posts and threads (there are several) and read as much as you can about the experiences members have had. Most of all don't expect miracles, it may take some time to get your UTIs under control, especially if you have been struggling with them for a long time. Once the UTIs are under control, you may be able to use less M/V/P on a maintenance or prophylactic basis.

Good luck.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 04-20-2011 at 04:14 PM.

GJ,

Thank you very much for your input! I will indeed read up on that thread. Hopefully, this will work for me. Thanks!

Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by kconsidder View Post
    GJ,

Thank you very much for your input! I will indeed read up on that thread. Hopefully, this will work for me. Thanks!

Kyle

Hi Kyle,

I have several experiences with Vetericyn VF and all of them good. If you can't find enough information, let me know and I'll help you out all I can.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Yep...that's great advice from gjnl and millard.It's the number one "supplement" to my my bladder and skin care.

I have read a good bit about this but one thing I dont understand is when people say they leave the vetericyn in as long as they can stand it. What does that mean? I havnt tried this before but am very excited about trying it! When some people puts it in there bladder what happens to them that makes them not able to stand it? How do you guys get it out? Do you pull the syringe back and draw the fluid out..or let yourself void it out so it cleans out the urethra? Or do you just cath it out? Thanks for posting all this. I am so happy to hear there is hope out there for UTI's.

For intermittent catheter users, many instill Vetericyn into the bladder after they have cathed and leave it in the bladder until the next cath. Some people instill Vetericyn into a cathed bladder and leave the syringe in the bladder to act as a plug. Then they retain Vetericyn for a period of time and either drain it through the catheter or withdraw the fluid with the syringe.

On the subject of sensitivity...some people get bladder spasms after retaining Vetericyn for just a short time. In that case, Vetericyn can be diluted a little and that seems to be an acceptable and yet effective method. It is best to retain Vetericyn for at least 5 minutes. I have a suprapubic catheter and I retain Vetericyn for about 20-30 minutes or until my small bladder capacity signals(spasms) me that I need to empty the bladder.

There are two Vetericyn Wound and Infection Care/Treatment formulas. One is called Vetericyn, the other Vetericyn VF (VVF) VVF is about twice the strength of original formula Vetericyn. A reasonable dilution might be 2 parts
    Vetericyn, 1 part saline.

The best way to start is to instill 30cc Vetericyn, retain it for 5 minutes and drain. The next day, retain for 10 minutes. Continue this pattern until you retain for 20 minutes and that should be sufficient. Everyone seems to react just a little differently to this treatment and we each have had to work out our routine. I think it is safe to say you won't have any extreme reactions.

All the best,
    GJ

Do you do the instillation a set number of times a day, or every time you cath?
    C7 ASIA C from Transverse Myelitis. Diagnosed on 12/19/09.

Quote Originally Posted by GGabrielle View Post
    Do you do the instillation a set number of times a day, or every time you cath?
    I have a suprapubic catheter and I instill and retain Vetericyn once a day at night as maintenance regime. If you bladder is colonized or any time you feel the urine is becoming cloudy and/or has an odor, you may need to instill and retain Vetericyn twice a day, morning and night and then return to a maintenance schedule.

All the best,
    GJ

I'm colonized. I just started instilling vetericyn to de-colonize and get rid of sediment and odor. I think I've read retaining 60 ccs for thirty minutes twice a day is what others have done in this situation. I might try this, but I should start slow, correct?
    C7 ASIA C from Transverse Myelitis. Diagnosed on 12/19/09.