Thread: HELP! Front tire came off!

HELP! Front tire came off!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get the rubber tire back onto one of my front casters? It is a 5" soft roll that caught in crappy sidewalk around my condo building and peeled it off the metal rim...

A bike shop has tools for stretching a tire back onto a rim, or if you are desperate you can carefully try using some ends of spoons that you don't care too much about ever being able to use again (they will bend).

Take the caster off the axle first. Then once you get the hub off, you will notice Allen heads on the one side of the hub. Loosen and remove these and the hub splits. Put either have back on the rubber, reinstall the bolts and all is good.
    Real surprised this happened. Did you get hurt?

4 minutes later... fixed!!!!! Guessing I should have used LocTite on the bolts? Oh well, hopefully they will hold. Thank you so much Keith!!!!!! Now can you bring some nicer weather to southern Ontario?

Cheers!

Buy some UniTines and get some 5x1.5" FLASR's.

Sorry to see. I've seen that happen on the old 5x1 billet soft rolls was hoping the new "Performance Casters" would eliminate the problem.

They actually require those casters with Power Adaptable frames or HD options (2GX/AeroX ZR/ZRA S2's).

Such peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Buy some UniTines and get some 5x1.5" FLASR's.

Sorry to see. I've seen that happen on the old 5x1 billet soft rolls was hoping the new "Performance Casters" would eliminate the problem.
    Softroll casters by froglegs are the best, i gave them a sharp blow and look who they was after, even i was rolling monthes with them like that without any problems, i still have them in my storage for if someday i need them.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Buy some UniTines .
    What about change the casters axles of the tilite fork?

Just making an axle with the same diameter where have to fit to the tilite fork and with a reduction to 8mm for can fit sotroll by froglegs.

Two axles done by a turner will be cheaper than new forks, do the inside threads and use the same bolts.
    It`s an easy and quick job for a turner.
    Have you got any pic of the axles? maybe even you could use the same axle, just doing a reduction where casters fit.
    Last edited by totoL1; 04-22-2011 at 06:34 AM.

When my chair was new, I tried to remove the allen screws that hold the caster halves together. They were in so tight, two allen wrenches broke. I was able to remove only one allen. It looked like it had been super glued in place. I even tried immersing the wheels in boiling water to remove the screws. Anyone know a trick to getting them out?
    Last edited by chasmengr; 04-22-2011 at 03:35 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by jackson233 View Post
    4 minutes later... fixed!!!!! Guessing I should have used LocTite on the bolts? Oh well, hopefully they will hold. Thank you so much Keith!!!!!! Now can you bring some nicer weather to southern Ontario?

Cheers!
    I'm glad it helped. I just got back from California, and it looks like the weather did not come with me.