Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I crazy......

If you want to work for a home health agency, then check with your state about which course you should take. For example, in CA, there is a certified nursing assistant (CNA) course but it prepares you to work in hospitals and nursing homes only. There is a separate home health aide (HHA) course that prepares you to work for home health agencies.

Keep in mind that if you want to work as a PCA (personal care attendant) through private hire situations (not an agency) you are not really required to have either in most states. It can be a plus for some employers, but not necessarily. We know that CNA/HHA programs for the most part do NOT teach the things that we need most from a PCA...dependability and reliability. We can easily teach the willing learner to do the care that we need done (bowel care, caths, dressing, transfers, etc.) but if the person is not reliable, trustworthy, and dependable, all of that is just a waste of time.

(KLD)

Thanks for the advice on posting a flyer at the Courage Center Kelpa. I'm not far from there so thats very doable.
    Timaru, a wink and a glass of wine I may just be tempted to cross the pond and work over there.
    KLD, I think the course I'm taking will certify me for both CNA and HHA. Am also looking at some volunteer opportunities. Question though, if I was to take a position with someone who required more care/help than my son would the institution offer that training.
    I have found with both my son, parents and human services work I have done that along with dependibility, discretion a sense of humor goes a long way.
    Thank you all for posts. Its given me things to think about

Dmom

I have thought about this often. As many bad days as we have I actually like it and think I am good at it as well. I have said many a times that if anything ever happened to my job thats the first thing I would do. I too took care of my dad, my mother in law and now David. I would actually like to go back to be a physical therapist but really would never be able to take that much time to go back to school. So the CNA would be the next best thing. I look at it like actually living it gives us a whole different outlook that people just employed as a CNA. I have even tried to get my CNA now while working but the class schedule does not line up with my work hours and they won't let me use my "working" at home with David as my clinicals so...I will have to wait for retirement or for my job to fold.
    Good luck with your classes and please keep us informed as to your progress.
    Lisa

Good for you dmom, go for it!

MSWIFE, I know what you mean about schedules lining up. I never would have walked away from my current job but getting outsourced has kindve been a blessing. Its given me an opportunity to start looking at other options. I know one of the biggest things for me is feeling like what I did that day had purpose and not just for a paycheck.
    I also agree that coming from the our side of it gives us a very differen't perspective. People are surprised that when I talk of taking care of my parents or assisting my son when he needed it that I felt it was an honor and a priviledge. I know others that are taking care of have taken care loved ones feel the same. Just the fact that they trusted me is humbling.

Dmom

Definitely go for it if you can take the drop in pay.

I'd much rather have assistance from someone who is doing the job because they genuinely want to make a difference.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

If it's what you want, do it.

I have a somewhat different opinion, but my opinion depends on what level your loved one is.... if he is high(ish) level and requires alot of hands on care, trust me, you will burn out of doing his care sooner or later. Then to be faced with doing the same work as your job ... well, its a bit of a recipe for a not good situation.

Maybe I'm jaded, but I've been doing this gig for 7.5 years and I would never want to have my job be caregiving when I do it at home.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dmom View Post
    Found out that I'm losing my job, its being outsourced. I going to go and get my CNA certification and work in the Home Health Care field. After caring for my parents until they passed, and helping my son out until he got his wheels under him. I found I enjoyed this kind of work. At my age I don't know that I want to go back to school for any extended amount of time.
    I realize that I'm going to be taking a significant hit in the pay but I'm excited about feeling like I actually impacted someones life at the end of the day.
    Have any of you ever considered doing this if you were in a position where the level of care you provided you loved one was such that you could go back to work?
    Just curious

Dmom
    Care giving is sometimes a thankless job but people like you....who finds happiness and fulfillment in this line of work is indeed a blessing. I wish you all the luck. I am sure your future patients are lucky to have someone like you!

I for one know I have complained about caregiver burnout but then I run into someone else and they are having some sort of issue and I feel like I can help, and for the most part do. I think that is part of the spouse part of it Amy. I mean I know others get burnout too but caring for a spouse is extremely hard in a different kinda way. Does that make sense?