Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I crazy......

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Am I crazy......

Found out that I'm losing my job, its being outsourced. I going to go and get my CNA certification and work in the Home Health Care field. After caring for my parents until they passed, and helping my son out until he got his wheels under him. I found I enjoyed this kind of work. At my age I don't know that I want to go back to school for any extended amount of time.
    I realize that I'm going to be taking a significant hit in the pay but I'm excited about feeling like I actually impacted someones life at the end of the day.
    Have any of you ever considered doing this if you were in a position where the level of care you provided you loved one was such that you could go back to work?
    Just curious

Dmom

If it is something you enjoy and are good at go for it. There sure is a need for good reliable home help.
    You may do better not working for an agency and setting your own wage which is more than the agency would pay you, but less than the person needing care would pay an agency.

Thanks for advice LindaT.
    I may strike out on own, depends on if I can find enough clients. I know from my own experience with my parents, talking with people while son was in rehab, and what I have read on here there does seem to be a need for people who take the job seriously and get how important it is for the clients not just the physical aspect but emotional as well.

Dmom

With your experience I'd employ you in a wink, go for it and good luck!

good care givers are never unemployed.
    good luck!

yes you are crazy, you have to be in this world, now go do what you like
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

We used to have a sign at work that said "You don't have to be crazy to work here, but it helps."

hey, that would look good on your grill......
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    hey, that would look good on your grill......
    Well, I do sort of look the the village idiot with my jagged bangs.

Sorry dmom.......back to topic.

I agree with the others. There is always a need for affordable conscientious PCA's. I see you are in MN but not sure if you are near the Twin Cities metro area. My husband works at Courage Center as a Resource Coordinator. I just asked him and he said they had a bulletin board and you could put a flyer up there if you wanted.