Thread: Avocado Boats

Avocado Boats

Another new recipe I tried last night- perfect hot weather food. The hot salsa with the avocado to cool it off- it was amazingly good.

Avocado Boats
    Prep Time- fifteen minutes or less
    Cook Time- none
    Feeds- 1-2

Ingredients:
    1 ripe avocado
    1/2 tomato, diced
    1/4c thinly sliced onion
    2tbsp salsa (your choice)
    1/4 c petit diced romaine lettuce.
    1tsp Braggs Liquid Aminos (or 1tbsp soy sauce in a pinch)
    pinch of pepper
    hot sauce to taste

Mix tomato, onion, Bragg's and pepper in a bowl. Mix and let sit for 10 minutes.

Cut avocado in half, remove pit. In the hollow left by the pit- place the tomato/onion mixture. Spoon salsa on top along with lettuce. Drip some hot sauce on if you like.

Serve immediately.

Sounds yummy! I would also experiment with adding some small salad shrimp for additional protein.

(KLD)

Sounds really good BlueRing! Love avocados. I would love to see some more vegetable/vegetarian recipes here! Would love to share some but alas i am not particularly a good cook. I eat pretty well but also pretty plain.
    Last edited by marycsm77; 04-19-2011 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marycsm77 View Post
    Sounds really good BlueRing! Love avocados. I would love to see some more vegetable/vegetarian recipes here! Would love to share some but alas i am not particularly a good cook. I eat pretty well but also pretty plain.
    Hubbs is a vegan and I love veggies so we have tons of recipes for veggie stuff. I like very basic food- nothing too fancy so I collect VERY easy recipes. Especially with this raw food- not even any cooking so it's real hard to mess up; perfect for a bumbling cook like me

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRing View Post
    Hubbs is a vegan and I love veggies so we have tons of recipes for veggie stuff. I like very basic food- nothing too fancy so I collect VERY easy recipes. Especially with this raw food- not even any cooking so it's real hard to mess up; perfect for a bumbling cook like me
    OMG BlueRing, Congrats on quiting smoking! How do you feel?

Keep the recipes coming when you can! I need some

We have got to start eating better.

Quote Originally Posted by marycsm77 View Post
    OMG BlueRing, Congrats on quiting smoking! How do you feel?

Keep the recipes coming when you can! I need some
    Thanks! I feel good. I'm using Nicorette gum so I feel kindof like I'm cheating but heck, at least I'm not smoking and putting those chemicals in me. I am starting to breathe better, which is nice. Really like not smelling like smoke all the time.

I'll keep the recipes coming

Yum! This sounds great! I need to keep a list of recipes I want to try posted on my fridge, then when I'm meal planning or ready to go shopping I can remember I want to buy stuff for that.

Anyone else ever buy ingredients and then forget what you planned to make?

Quote Originally Posted by jgrant27 View Post
    Yum! This sounds great! I need to keep a list of recipes I want to try posted on my fridge, then when I'm meal planning or ready to go shopping I can remember I want to buy stuff for that.

Anyone else ever buy ingredients and then forget what you planned to make?

I make a weekly menu so no....but something I do is post the recipes on my email scheduler calender....sometimes near the day I'd like to try them. Fun to see a surprise recipe pop up!
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

I forget all the time but then again, I'm a horrible planner! I just go to the store and buy any produce I see that catches my eye. I just bought a dehydrator and I think I'm in love with it. Trying to lose weight (still..sigh) so instead of thinking 'I can't have this, that or those', I think 'I can have ANYTHING in the produce section I want'. Really opens up my choices- and I've found TONS of food I never knew I liked. Like butternut squash, chinese cabbage and those tiny bananas. Yum!