Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New here 22yo male, t10 incomplete since dec 26th 2010

The therapy time/number of visits limit on your insurance may very well be subject to appeal for medical necessity. Please discuss this with your physician (physiatrist). Where in AZ by the way?

(KLD)

Josh -
    I would like to second what Nurse KLD has told you. No one can predict accurately what return you will get. There is a natural tendency to become focused on trying to predict what will return but there is really only one thing you have to do. And that is to do as much rehab and strengthening you can so that you can maximize the return that you will be fortunate to get. It is not that the rehab and the strengthening will cause the return, that is a function of just how injured the nerves are and that is not up to you at this point. It is a common misconception that if you rehab hard enough, you can make yourself get more recovery. If only that were true.... But what hard rehab will do is to make you able to exploit the return that you get. If some muscle works a little, squeezing them a lot will make them stronger. So I am an advocate of working out with rehab as much as possible.
    Try not to worry about your future return. What will happen will happen. Just concentrate on staying as healthy and fit as possible to utilize what return you get. I know it is an impossible task not to wonder what return you will get. I will tell you this, your functional ability will improve big time with the amount of return you already demonstrate. Keep working on standing and walking with the walker.

GOod luck....
    arndog

Josh, what others have posted is so true everyone is diferent and you have your age going for you.

I was in MVA in Nov, broke my back, I won't go into all the details, but I was told by th ER Dr. I probably would not walk again, I was transfered the same day to a large trauma hospital had my surgery and right before Christmas I came home. I worked hard at rehab, and now i do most of my rehab myself (no ins.) I have a bike here and I am swimming at a pool with equipment there. I would say exercise your strength will come back. I am walking around the house with out the walker, but when I go out I use the walker. I have neuropothy in my feet so my balance is not the best. Everyday I try and walk a little farther. I too have B&B issues, but it is better than before.

Just keep up the hard work, this is probably the hardest job you will ever do, mental attidude is alot of it.

You have found a wonderful site, sorry you got injured and had to find us here, welcome Josh, keep up the faith you can do it, and your story may be encouragement to others.
    JeAnNE L1Burst Fracture inc. 11/5/10

Live Well--Laugh often

Hi, I am a T10 complete since June 2010. You can look forward to improvement in your bowel/bladder program, you are incomplete so you may have more hope. Search online for as much info as you can. If I were you I would practice walking as much as I could.

Josh, as the mom and caregiver of an incomplete C-2, I can tell you that there are no hard and fast rules for incomplete injuries. Three months is too soon to make any predictions. When I think back to what Ryan could to at three months and what he can do now, 2 years later, I am amazed with the progress he has made. Rehab is part strengthening, part learning new ways of doing things, and part learning about taking care of yourself as you do now have medical needs you never did before.--eak

Welcome Josh,

You are still in the early phase of your recovery. Keep up with the rehab.
    Sorry you were injured.
    My son was shot when he was 17, 22cal. He is T4 complete.
    My mouth is like a magician's hat, never know what might come out of it.

Welcome Josh,

Im sorry to hear of your injury but WOW you have so much potential. Keep working hard, you will have success and inspire others!

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate all your feedback!

Welcome, Josh! Every injury is unique, you must know that. Someone with your level of injuy may not be able to walk @ all, while doing the same training & exercises you're doing. It is possible to get more function w/ therapy & determination, but ultimately it depends on what nerve fibers your body is left with. You are inc., and return(sensory & motor) can happen for years after the initial trauma. My best advice is to try like hell, hope for the best & be able to accept the worst. Best of luck to you.