Thread: 10k in regular wheelchair

10k in regular wheelchair

Can't find a handcycle to use for a 10k I signed up for, but I have a spare chair I am going to try to set up for it. Is there a certain amount of dump, how far back are the rear wheels, grips on hand rims, gloves or no gloves...ETC. Any info would be appreciated. The run is on May 7th and I have never done one. Its for a good cause for SCI therapy at a Jim Thorpe rehab. If your in Oklahoma and can make it. Its called the Courage Run at Lake Hefner.

Sooner,
    You will be fine. I use a manual in a park and wheel 5.1 miles. I am not the fastest in a manual but consistent. Hopefully the road/terrain is pretty smooth. Just watch out for those pot holes. I would practice a little to build your endurance and see how far you can go. I was a runner prior to my SCI four years ago. I ran all kinds of races. I will never forget what a veteran runner told me during my first marathon. I asked him for the best advice. His comment was never use a marathon as your longest training run. He was right. That is why people hit the wall. If you train 18 miles , your body is not ready for the 26.2. miles. The lactic acids start building up and your body crashes. So my advice to you is go out and train. You will then be ready for anything. I wish you well.

Thanks Joe,
    I was thinking it might be little easier to push 6 miles if you set things up a bit other then the way you normally have your chair. I will get out and start pushing my arms to the limit. The fiance runs 10k's almost every weekend so I want to try to join in with her instead of waiting for her lol. Guess we will see.

Sooner,
    I wish you well. Go out and have a great time. It doesn't matter how long it takes you, the point is you made the effort to get out there. That is an accomplishment in itself. SCI is a challenge for all of us, so go out there and make us all look good. Good luck to both of you in the race.
    Best Regards,,
    Joe

Tighten the caster stems. Takes flutter out down hill. Lower your seat if you can so you get more use of the hand rim. Add camber. Tie in your feet and butt. Get rid of stuff you don't need. Brakes, anti tips, arm rests. Make sure the toe is straight. Highest pressure tires you can find.
    Find a way to carry water.
    If you normally wear gloves you might use them. Otherwise don't. The seams will trash your hands when you sweat.
    Figure stuff out ahead of time and don't change anything on race day. Just do what you've practiced.

Many of my customers are doing 5k, 10k, + events simply with their FreeWheels attached to their everyday chairs. The longer wheelbase and larger front tire eliminates the disadvantage of the short wheelbase and allows you to focus on your stroke instead of what you're about to hit!

Pat

Thanks for the info. I will have to play with settings on the chair to see what works best. Never would of thought about camber or caster's. Makes since though.
    I would like to try one of the "free wheel" things you have. I have read some good things about them on here. I work in the yard a bit and go off roading in the chair lol... Is there a place to demo the free wheel in Oklahoma?
    I will try my best not to crash or fall over. I am going to take the old spare wheelchair and play around with it to see what I can get.
    Thanks again!

Good luck in the race. You will do fine. I did a 15k in my everyday this year. The only problem I had was my casters got caught in the bridge gratings. I just rode a wheelie over them, and the rest of the race was fine.

Good Luck to you.
    I have to do a 5k this month as I now raised over the target amount for the Back Up trust as in my signature link.
    I've done a couple of shorter training runs and the two comments I would have are -
    Tightening the caster stems may be great as the camber on the path/road you are on will pull you to one side a great deal especially is you have your chair set very neutral/light and it can really hurt and be annoying to be using only 1 arm a lot.
    Take some fluids, a water bladder like the runners use that you can suck on from a tube, slung under your chair will keep COG low.
    I would say yes use gloves as if you face some hills then it can allow you to use the tires going up without damaging your palms and also break going down hill without burning your hands!
    Sorry that was 3.

Anyway good luck!