Thread: Deserate to learn more .. C6/C7 injury

Deserate to learn more .. C6/C7 injury

Hi, I have recently met a wonderful man who has been paralyzed 10+ years he is quickly becoming my best friend and while I know alot about him and his injuries I would love to learn more so I can help him more but I hate asking 1,000,000,000 questions ... so I was hoping to gain knowledge here about EVERYTHING I can

Here is what I know ...
    He wears a catheter and leg bag
    He drives,feeds himself,uses computer ,phone etc.
    He works with me and is away from home 8+ hours a day I empty his bag and open food and hand it to him but other than that he does it all ...

I am positive he doesn't stay up to date and I desperately want to help him learn how to be more independent and enjoy life a bit more

Last edited by blmjmrbff; 04-19-2011 at 01:02 PM.

Does he use a foley cath of a condom cath? This will make a difference in his ability to have a sexual encounter.

Does he have any sensation below his point of injury? This will also impact sex though sex does not have to mean sex as you know it. Creativity is a bonus for both partners.

Does he live alone? I am assuming he has some sort of assistance for his bowel program. Why is he doing it on his side in the bed? Rolling shower chairs are available (we have one) that double as a commode chair. While I cannot get it over the toilet and Ryan has to do his program in his lair (should be a formal dining room but we never used it as such-playroom when boys were little, computer room when they got bigger, and office before his injury-entrance doors from living room and kitchen with no turn to room from LR.) it sure beats using the bed. I also roll that chair to the hall bathroom that we had modified for a roll in shower. These chairs come with chest straps for those without good trunk control. Our chair is on casters (little wheels) so someone has to push him to the shower. This works for us because he does not have good shoulder strength and our house is older with a narrow hallway and narrow doors.

Sounds to me as though he is fairly independent but there are things that could greatly improve his quality of life (a shower would be so great). Ryan went months without a shower (bed baths only) because of other issues and I cannot fathom going years without one.--eak

He uses a foley cath ..

He has no sensations from his chest (above nipple) ...

He has his parents help him and his mom is a older nurse and they learned when he was hurt to do it in bed and he has never tried to learn how to do it out of bed but is quite humilated by the whole process and I want to help him learn to be more modest and independent ..

Thank you so so much !!! He was so unbelievably embarrased when he had to ask me to empty his bag the first time (and I was quite embarrased the other day when I didn't get it closed good and we had a leak on the office floor ... )

I am going to let him read this tomorrow I know it will be embarrasing for him but I really want to help him !!!

Also I know for the first 3 years he used condom cath but he would move wrong or something and it would pop off and he would have wet pants so he decided the foley was better ...

Hi Bim, What a wonderful friend you must be. I trust it won't be embarrasing for him. You/he are among those who truly understand and are learning much like you are.

A C6/7 can be 100% independent, but it takes some work to get to that stage. I'm sure some of the quads and their S/O can answer better than I can. z'

Your post was refreshing and your positive, caring self came thru so I just wanted to welcome you.

I am concerned about the long term foley usage. There is a huge infection risk there. Obviously he is unable or unwilling to do IC's on a regular basis. This should be possible given his hand function (computer, feeding, etc.).

I am surprised that he did not get over his inhibitions in rehab (even though it was years ago). Ryan is much younger (19) and has a different level of injury (incomplete C-2 with TBI), has bladder and bowel control, but cannot lift his arms to wash his own head-such is the way of incomplete injuries. However, he has no problem using his urinal in any parking lot (prefers that to most "accessable" restrooms that really are not for a power chair user. He does not care who sees him through the windows of the van (they should not be looking) and haves my dump it wherever (I choose gassy areas that people should not be walking on). When he was in rehab, he would actually be happy to turn his back and do his thing. I had to work on regaining modesty because you tend to loose it in a hospital environment and Ryan was in one for 5 months post injury.

Bodily functions are something that everyone does and no one likes to talk about. Introduce him to this site and he will find many people here that have similar experiences and are more than willing to share in a non threatening non embarrassing manner.--eak

he can easily get out of bed and do his BP in the bathroom w/ a shower chair. PM me if u want more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Hi Bim, What a wonderful friend you must be. I trust it won't be embarrasing for him. You/he are among those who truly understand and are learning much like you are.

A C6/7 can be 100% independent, but it takes some work to get to that stage. I'm sure some of the quads and their S/O can answer better than I can. z'

Your post was refreshing and your positive, caring self came thru so I just wanted to welcome you.

Thank you !!! It is nice to have found a spot I can ask questions from the ones that really will know

You should definitely get him on here, the information is wonderful. Beyond that just continue being the great friend you are. It can be embarrassing but that will fade.

there is a bag with a thumb flip switch has he tried that?
    cwo