Thread: Walking with lumbar injury

Walking with lumbar injury

I burst my L1 vertebrae 11/29/08. I was diagnosed with an incomplete SCI. At about 2 months post injury I slowly began to walk with the assistance of a walker. At 8 months post injury I started walking using 2 canes. Currently, I can walk short distances without assistance. For more prolonged walking I use a cane. I have partial feelings in my legs. However, there are portions of both legs that are completely numb. Some friends of mine get a "kick" from pulling my leg hairs even though I do not feel it. I have absolutely no bladder or bowel control. The latter has almost made me a recluse. It is extremely difficult to be in public. However, I do go to gym several times a week to work on my leg and body strength.

Hi David,
    I am also a L1 incomplete compresssion fracture. We are pretty similar with the recovery but I have been very fortunate to have bowel and bladder (although bowel has been a struggle) - I was injured on the 2008-04-01 - all the best my friend - stay frosty

Your story is very similar to mine. My injury happened last July. After five surgeries I'm now walking pretty well with canes, can do stairs, etc, although nothing feels normal. I have very little sensation in my feet and have to guess at where they are. I wish you the best as you continue to work at your recovery. Keep at it. Nerves are weird things and tend to recovery when they're good and ready.

Quote Originally Posted by truly View Post
    Keep at it. Nerves are weird things and tend to recovery when they're good and ready.
    That is so true! Sounds like you're doing well, David...it's frustrating, but you've made steady progress and no one can predict what's possible in each individual situation. Hats off to you, and welcome to the forum.

Welcome David, our injuries are similar I am 5 mo post op L1Burst fracture inc. The B&B isssues are a challenge also I have had a couple off accidents and it is embarrasing to say the least. Have you tried getting in the pool? That is my best therapy. I do also have recumbent bike here. Walking is very difficult and I do better with walker, but I know it is important to try and stand up straight.

Keep working at it, I know it is not easy. I also have numbness issues so I hear you.

The best to you, you will be happy you found this site, many good people on here. There are quite a few on this site with similar injury.
    JeAnNE L1Burst Fracture inc. 11/5/10

Live Well--Laugh often

Central California/ (the Republican side :)
    Hi David, glad u found the site. I am not a para I am a quad but I am a walking quad, I have b/b so I am fortunate from that stand point as well. Welcome to the site, keep up the good work n keep walking

Evonne
    I have a spinal cord injury...a spinal cord injury DOES NOT have me!

walking quad-Central Cord Syndrome

David = I am similar as well, burst L1 fracture, incomplete para , walking with crutches and canes but prefer crutches. Exercise as much as possible. Colostomy and total neurogenic bladder, cath. AFO, no sensation from the waist down. Fused from T11 to pelvis so I am very stiff and can't reach the floor. Greatest challenge is chronic neuropathic burning pain. I can hike with crutches and do.