Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Handicapped?

physically challenged

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliegirl2010 View Post
    I consider myself physically challenged . I hate the word handicapped but, I know I am not completely physically able.
    i was thinking the same thing while reading this post.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

I agree only we know how we feel. I am not the same in my heart so I feel challened at times, and then when I try and walk I know in my heart I am disabled. When I see others in wheel chair my opinion has totally changed, I no longer stare and wonder what is wrong, I now say hi and see if they might want to enter into a conversation.amd I find it is very theraputic for me as well .

When I push myself with exercise I just feel pain, which most people can relate to. Alot of my situation is my mindset that I might need some more time to heal yet.

The wonderful thing for me is on this site we get to hear others opinion's and that is very valuable. Everyone needs unconditional love no matter how we look, if we are in a chair, or may not be able to get a pair of shoes on. We are all different.
    JeAnNE L1Burst Fracture inc. 11/5/10

Live Well--Laugh often

I feel pain constantly either in my legs, shoulders, back, neck or somewhere else and i am not on medication for any of it. I hate the way medicine makes me feel. I like being in control and meds take that away from me. Yes exercise makes the pain worse but the outcome makes it worth it. Maybe its just me but i can't imagine just sitting in the house refusing to live life because im in a chair. I look at the positive points of having a wheelchair not the negative.

Quote Originally Posted by dispatchjen View Post
    Maybe its just me but i can't imagine just sitting in the house refusing to live life because im in a chair. I look at the positive points of having a wheelchair not the negative.
    Wait, I think we might be talking about apples and oranges here.

In your original post, you asked whether people here consider themselves handicapped or not; I was the first to respond, and I thought it was important to answer the question in terms of a dictionary definition of the word, since it is a term which has become emotionally loaded in recent years.

Now, though, you seem to be suggesting that there is a moral dimension to the issue, as if to say that those who see themselves as having handicaps are psychologically or spiritually deficient, and that to accept the reality of physical limitation is equivalent to "sitting in the house refusing to live life..." I have observed very few examples of that kind of outlook at CareCare; most of us are here to learn how to live more fully in spite of difficulties attendant to being in chairs, on crutches, confined to bedrest, or in any other situation. To see oneself as handicapped is not synonymous with giving up on life or having a victim mentality, it is only a way to describe conditions involving physical limitation - one's attitude toward life is a different issue, surely.

It almost seems to me as if you would really like to talk about something else, since the way the original question was framed wouldn't seem to warrant the categorical judgements that follow. Perhaps your intention was to ask whether or not people here see themselves as victims, and if so, that would certainly raise an interesting question; but I don't think it is what I, and several others, understood to be the purpose of the thread.

In any case, my hat is off to everyone here, for we all grapple with our circumstances in ways that have been forged through trial and error, pain and discovery, joy and sadness...whatever we consider a handicap to be, we meet life in fundamentally unique ways as we adapt to a world that can be very difficult. My wish for us all is that we find the best ways forward, giving and receiving support as we go.

Flupped duck.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

I dont think that someone being in a chair should make them handicapped. Everyone has some sort of flaw mine is just one that can be seen. I think that if someone is in a chair and if they let being in that chair stop them from doing something that they want to do then they are handicapped in the mind. to me being handicapped has nothing to do with my chair why should it. Honestly people that are in a chair and dont go out, dont travel, or have fun make me mad. Maybe I am this way because my family and friends have never treated my like i am handicapped. i have only known one other handicapped person in my life and he didn't stop living because he used a chair. People that sit back and whine and feel sorry for themselves becuase they are handicapped get on my nerves. I also think I could be alot of other things besides in a chair for one i could be dead, i could not be able to move at all. and above all i could be stupied as hell
    maybe rename the post- if your handicapped, do you feel sorry for yourself?

I agree with offroaderwife and i am glad others see it the way i do. It is a state of mind. I may be in a chair but my family and friends all have learned never tell me that i can't do something because i will do it just to prove them wrong not matter what it is. And Crypticgimp I think i was raised like you my family and friends never have considered me handicapped. why should they it may take me a little longer to do things but i can still do it.
    Word games. For example I can't drive an unmodified car because I can't move my legs, I am handicapped. Its not that I don't have the will, its just the way it is.

I stick with my orginal post....or question....i am not looking for a dictionary defin. of what handicapped is. if you go by the definiation then everyone is some sort of way fits it. My sister is algeric to bees so is she handicapped????? no. I am am a example of that handicapped does not mean giving up on life. I think that some people in a wheelchair refuse to be all they can and instead decide to just be the person in the chair. to those that know me don't see me as a person in a chair they see a stong willed person that has accomplished alot in my life than most AB people. i have driven my fathers ford f250 without handcontrols and with no use of my legs. When i was 16 i learned to drive a stardard shift vehicle with only a tad bit of use in my left leg. I hate the term handicapped with a passion also the word cripple. Why should I have a special term for what I am I am me and im proud of it. I am proud of what i do, what i have done, and what i will do in the future. I am a person and i am just like everyone else in the world.

I think that some people in a wheelchair refuse to be all they can and instead decide to just be the person in the chair.
    I don't think this attitude is something that is brought on by disability. In fact, I don't believe that our attitude is changed in any way because of a handicap. We are either glass half full, or glass half empty type people from infancy.

My least favorite label is invalid.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

yea flicka invalid gets under my skin but not like the other two ive mentioned.