Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ablation to stop menstruation

Question Ablation to stop menstruation

Ok, this forum is officially the best thing I have discovered on the internet.

Just discovered a procedure here called ablation that stops periods once and for all. Can I get more information about it please? I can hardly cope with myself, so having kids is out of question. So I dont have any problem with that.

I was told that a hysteractomy is a huge operation, on par with having a C-section. That's why I have been putting it off for so many years.

I had the ablation done on 1/5/11. I LOVE IT! I went in and the whole thing took about an hour. They put you under (not all the way but you don't remember anything). Then they burn the lining of your uterus out which will either prevent you from having periods or it might make them lighter. Everyone is different. My sister had the ablation done about 2 weeks ago and she has alreayd started her period but it is a lot lighter than normal. I haven't had a period yet so I'm thankful for that. The procedure was no big deal at all. There are several websites that I googled and found horror stories of women who started their period aftewards and it went on for months. Most of them had a lot of female problems before hand. I did not have any problems before and I'm very happy with the ablation so far. I got mine so that I wouldn't have to deal with my period while I was on 100% bed rest for a few months. Talk to your OBGYN and make sure you tell them you have HEAVY periods...That's the key word to get their buy in.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Must be something in the air. I discussed ablation with my doctor just this month, but am trying birth control pills (with no pauses for withdrawal bleeding) instead.

There seem to be a lot of differing numbers floating around about how many women actually stop bleeding after ablation.

My Dr told me that there was a 50-70% chance of me not having a period at all. He said I would know for sure with in the first 3 months after the ablation. I'm going on 4 months with no period so hopefully I'm in the clear. It certainly does differ from woman to woman though.

A doubt.

Thanks for the info. I thought it was a sure short way of stopping periods. Isn't it? As you can see from my pic, I am wheelchair and periods just add to the problems of an already inconvenient life.

Plz keep the information coming.

No, it's not a sure way of stopping periods. It will reduce, perhaps eliminate, the amount of bleeding. More info: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/end...lation/MY01113

Ok got that. But does he success rate has anything to do with the amount of bleeding you get normally? I normally get 2-3 days of moderate to low bleeding & minimal cramping.

Does this increase my chance of completely stopping the periods after this procedure?

Boy, this is the first time I have ever talked about these things to anybody. Never discussed such things with anyone.

I have read some forums that say that they uterus can grow back or that it is not shaped appropriately so that the instruments used can get to the far corners and burn all of it out. I think it depens on your body and the dr. I've been lucky after 4 months but my sister started her the same month as she had the ablation. It's just different for every person but if usually improves from what you currently have. My sisters uterus is tilted abnormally so hers was a little more difficult than mine but her periods went from 7 days of heavy bleeding to 3 days of barely bleeding (all she needed was a panty liner).

Quote Originally Posted by Megha View Post
    Ok got that. But does he success rate has anything to do with the amount of bleeding you get normally? I normally get 2-3 days of moderate to low bleeding & minimal cramping.

Does this increase my chance of completely stopping the periods after this procedure?
    Sorry, don't know the answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Megha View Post
    Boy, this is the first time I have ever talked about these things to anybody. Never discussed such things with anyone.
    Good job! I suggest that as a next step you talk to your doctor about it. She will probably refer you to a gynecologist.

Quote Originally Posted by offroaderswife View Post
    I have read some forums that say that they uterus can grow back
    By which you actually mean the endometrium, the lining of the uterus. The uterus itself is not removed in endometrial ablation.

By which you actually mean the endometrium, the lining of the uterus. The uterus itself is not removed in endometrial ablation.[/QUOTE]

Lol...yes. That is what I mean. You keep your uterus.