Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Ramon Cueto -- Primate Studies Have Begun

Dr. Ramon Cueto -- Primate Studies Have Begun

I've got the goods everybody. I sent Dr. Ramon Cueto an e-mail and here's the response I got. It's pretty self-explanatory. This is so exciting.

Dear Allen:

We have already started with primate experiments. So far we have obtained some very exciting results that were presented in the last Neuroscience meeting and some news that will be presented soon. We will continue these experiments in primates because our aim is to test if OEG is a suitable technique for humans. If we succeed in our goal we will start clinical trials.

Sincerely,

Almudena

Al

Next time you email her it would be great to find out what injury model they're using. The transection model used in their rat studies is not comparable to the contusion injuries most of us have. This is the last remaining cloud hanging over OEG research, IMO. It looks hopeful for even chronic injury but I have yet to hear about effectiveness with contusion injuries. Dr. Raisman says it will work but I'm not aware of animal data with contusion injuries.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Somebody Should Ask Her Which Models She Is Studying

It's not like I know her personally. Somebody else should send her e-mail and ask her which models she is studying. You know, it's only a matter of time before they get to a contusion model because very few people have severed spinal cords. Although, obviously, they're going to start with acute models.

Would anybody like to contact Dr Almudena Ramón-Cueto or her lab? Here's her e-mail: aramon@ibv.csic.es You can also try: aramon@cbm.csic.es

Somebody should also contact Dr. Raisman and get his input.

Allen
    baudi73@yahoo.com

Thanks Al

I will e-mail her as well.

Keep up the good work.

OEG Primate Studies

Thanks for this great bit of information. Sounds promising, especially since the work is with primates. Where is this research being done? I did a search and found some information about the research. Are they in Canada? They must be further along than the research findings on OEG'S that Dr. Young just posted, or is it totally different work? Seems like alot of good research here and abroad lately, thank God !

My Birthday

What a great birthday present - thanks for the great news.

Deb

I've Got a Big Mouth -- But Here Goes

There is also another primates study being conducted at the University of California San Diego. The principal researcher is Dr. Mark Tuszynski. He's experimenting with neurotrophins in a primate model. I sent him e-mail as well. Hopefully we'll get a response. I'm sure that at a certain point the researchers are going to become secretive about their work once it comes time to apply for patents. Dr. Tuszynski is also studying proteoglycans. He has a paper coming out in April in the Journal of Neuroscience.

NG2 is a Major Chondroitin Sulfate Proteoglycan Produced After Spinal Cord Injury and Is Expressed by Macrophages and Oligodendrocyte Progenitors

Leonard L. Jones, Yu Yamaguchi, William B. Stallcup, and Mark H. Tuszynski

Is Nogo a proteoglycan? What does NG2 stand for? I also have word from Dr. Jerry Silver's lab. They are experimenting with his microtransplant technique using olfactory ensheathing glia and other candidates for transplantation in spinal cord injury. I forgot to mention the last time I brought up Dr. Jerry Silver that there is an important study going to be published in Nature very soon. It involves the digestion of proteoglycans, I think, in the lesioned spinal cord. If somebody gets to it before me please post it. The research was conducted by Elizabeth Bradbury et. al.

Allen
    baudi73@yahoo.com

I shouldn't get too excited because she told me 3 months ago that they have only started some preliminary studies with primates and that they will start primate trials this spring.They will also last 2 years and if they are succesfull the next step will be human trials so they are still far away from human trials.Also she obtains the cells from the olfactory bulb which method hopefully will be history soon.I am very surprised that she said that "We have already started with primate experiments. So far we have obtained some very exciting results that were presented in the last Neuroscience meeting" because as far as I know she only achieved results in rat experiments and never has implanted OEG in primates.She has succesfully removed the olfactory bulb from primates and extracted OEG cells from it.Maybe she is referring to that what she has presentated in the last meeting.But if she has indeed presented exciting results with primate experiments Dr.Young could correct me, but that would highly surprise me.

LJ W; The primate trials will be carried out in Madrid

But of course it is interesting and I am curious which news she will present soon.

press release from 27-10-2001

They apply monkeys the experiment that allowed to walk to paraplegic rats.

It is the indispensable previous step for the transfer of the technique to human.

Agencies Valladolid

The Meeting of Castile and León will finance, with 50 million pesetas, the transfer to monkeys of the experiment that got, for the first time in the world that paraplegic rats with the totally cut spinal marrow walk again. If the tests in monkeys are successful, the hospitals castellanoleoneses will be the first ones in practicing this therapy type.
    The investigation, guided by the Superior Council of Scientific Investigations (CSIC), he/she will be carried out in the Ability of Medicine of the Autonomous University of Madrid. The director of the project, the scientific Almudena Ramón Cueto, explained yesterday that the technique consists on the autotrasplante of cells located in the encircling glÃ*a of the bulb olfatorio from the animal to the damaged spinal marrow, so that this last one is regenerated. If the experiment has in the primates the same success that in the rats, it will be repaired and the injured axones and the paraplegic monkeys will recover the voluntary movement of the paws and the sensibility, that is to say, they will be able to walk again.
    The results obtained in rats, the investigator explained, they have allowed the total recovery of the rodents and they constitute the best functional recovery and repair histológica described up to now in mature mammals with complete medullary lesion". On the planning of this new experimental phase whose duration and foreseen financing is of two years its director he/she said that until final of 2.001 they will be carried out the preparations and in spring, if everything goes well they will be carried out the transplants.

Injure chronic

The experimentation with monkeys is indispensable, like previous step to the application of this technique in human, because the nervous system of the rodents is not as complete as that of the non human primates that have it similar to us". Although this type of you only implant had been successful when they are carried out nothing else to happen the lesion, the expert trust in that the investigations even can to treat the chronic lesions and to discover pharmacological treatments that don't necessarily bear the marrow transplant.

NG2 is a high molecular weight proteoglycan of the chondroitin-sulfate family. It is expressed by oligodendroglial cells. Neurons will not grow on culture dishes coated with NG2. When NG2 is mixed with other cell adhesion molecules that are known to promote axonal growth, the axons will not grow as well as on the cell adhesion molecules alone. NG2 is a particular type of transmembrane proteoglycan that is expressed on the surface of cells, particularly glial cells where it may even serve as a promoter of growth under certain circumstances http://www.glycoforum.gr.jp/science/...an/PGA07E.html

Levine, J.M. (1994) Increased expression of the NG2 proteoglycan after brain injury. J. Neurosci., 14:4716-4730. Dou, C. and J.M. Levine (1995) Differential effects of glycosaminoglycans on neurite growth on laminin and L1 substrates. J. Neurosci., 15:8053-8066.

You can find details about proteoglycans at the following web site http://www.uku.fi/laitokset/anat/PG/ng2_pg.htm