Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Disabled Parking Placard

Quote Originally Posted by leahcaprice View Post
    I think it would benefit you to politely ask if these people could park elsewhere as you need the space to get your wheelchair out. Getting worked up about it is negative for you and isn't solving anything.
    I'm sure my tone made it seem like I was worked up, but really I'm not, it just frustrates the h$ll out of me. I'm able to park in one of the spots but a couple of times they've been all filled up. Comes with the territory I suppose. I just wish Americans weren't such glutons and then have to resort to needing medical services when in reality, you did it to yourself. That's what bothers me the most. Doctors seem to approve these placard like handing out candy to kids after checkup.

Oh and I'll get me self started on the whole handicapped stall issue. I love it when I need to use the bathroom but the stall with the handicapped picture on it is in use by someone that's not handicapped and all other stalls are open.

Here is one that I cannot figure out. I go skiing in a sitski. I walk short distances with crutches and definitely need the disabled parking at the mountain. Where I park, there are only two disabled spots. I show up early because they are often taken and it makes the entire process of skiing much more logistically difficult for me.

Anyway, a guy pulls in next to me in the other parking spot a few days ago. He hangs the placard on the mirror, gets out and heads to the lift in ski boots and skis in hand. No obvious limp or anything. He might have walked a bit creeky but hard to tell since everyone in ski boots walks funny.

This is at the bottom of an intermediate ski run and he had to climb a snow ramp to get to the lift. There were non disabled parking spots just 100-200 feet away.

What possible disability did this person have that would allow them to walk through snow in ski boots and then head up a lift to go skiing, but could not walk a short distance across the parking lot?

His parking placard was for a permanent disability.
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Quote Originally Posted by My395 View Post
    Here is one that I cannot figure out. I go skiing in a sitski. I walk short distances with crutches and definitely need the disabled parking at the mountain. Where I park, there are only two disabled spots. I show up early because they are often taken and it makes the entire process of skiing much more logistically difficult for me.

Anyway, a guy pulls in next to me in the other parking spot a few days ago. He hangs the placard on the mirror, gets out and heads to the lift in ski boots and skis in hand. No obvious limp or anything. He might have walked a bit creeky but hard to tell since everyone in ski boots walks funny.

This is at the bottom of an intermediate ski run and he had to climb a snow ramp to get to the lift. There were non disabled parking spots just 100-200 feet away.

What possible disability did this person have that would allow them to walk through snow in ski boots and then head up a lift to go skiing, but could not walk a short distance across the parking lot?

His parking placard was for a permanent disability.
    My issue perfectly vindicated. I pull into work every morning and usually witness people pulling into the parking lot and parking right next to me. They pull our their little placard hang it with pride and walk right into work, without even a slight limp.

Unbelievable.

To compund it further, I see one them get up from their desks for lunch, come back 20 minutes later with a Mcdonalds bag. I love Big Macks as much as the next person, but I eat them once a year, not once a week.

I guess I'm a hater.

To all: My younger brother had a handicapped parking tag. He could "apparently" walk perfectly fine for a few minutes or so; enough to walk into a store without looking like a disabled person (except he was gasping for breath!). No wheelchair, no limp, just a three chambered heart and deformed major aortic and pulmonary vessels. He had a very hard time walking further than from a close parking spot. He died at age 19 from a massive heart attack and associated aneurysm. People don't need to limp, use a chair, or hobble to need a placard STFU! Wheelchairs and limps don't define a disability! Yes, there are those who abuse the system. But PLEASE be cautious before you pass judgement on someone who doesn't happen to be in a chair.

I am not in a chair. To the casual observer, I don't appear to have a disability. I have a C-5 incomplete spinal cord injury which mainly affects my biceps and deltoids. I also have severe balance issues which make walking in a parking lot, especially one with ice and snow (it snows about five months a year where I live), hazardous. If I begin to trip or fall, I cannot catch myself. I have stitches and three scars on my forehead from falling face down on different occasions since my SCI. A few months ago I fell on my back and could not get up without help because the surface was icy.

I do not have a placard although I could probably qualify for one. I do not drive so what I usually do is have my driver drop me off at the store entrance; I then get a shopping cart and use it for balance.

Using a regular stall in a restroom is very difficult. At the minimum, I need the grab bars to latch my thumbs onto so I can do a knee bend and pull up my pants.

Often I have to wait for someone who doesn't appear to be disabled to leave a handicapped stall. Of course, that is me too. A few times I have exited a handicapped stall only to find someone in a chair waiting for the stall. Once the person gave me angry looks and so I stopped and explained.

I get the finger for parking in handicap parking all the time. Honestly, I can walk fine. I just pee my pants if I walk more than 100 feet. At work I always park in handicap parking… I don’t want to pee my pants every time I go to and from my car at work. Walking only short distance helps me stay dry and clean.
    Maybe the rant should be that we need more handicap parking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue132 View Post
    To all: My younger brother had a handicapped parking tag. He could "apparently" walk perfectly fine for a few minutes or so; enough to walk into a store without looking like a disabled person (except he was gasping for breath!). No wheelchair, no limp, just a three chambered heart and deformed major aortic and pulmonary vessels. He had a very hard time walking further than from a close parking spot. He died at age 19 from a massive heart attack and associated aneurysm. People don't need to limp, use a chair, or hobble to need a placard STFU! Wheelchairs and limps don't define a disability! Yes, there are those who abuse the system. But PLEASE be cautious before you pass judgement on someone who doesn't happen to be in a chair.
    I think we all know about the hidden disabilities. It is the ones that go beyond logic that gets to people.

I can't figure out the skier who hits the slopes. Or those that take a reserved spot with others nearby, but walk lond distances no problem.

Very sorry about the loss of your brother.
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

re:Disabled Parking Placard

OMG YES!!!! I post images of them on my Facebook regularly. I have had people who were VERY offended I'd post such things tell me you can't always see the disability. One lady was pregnant and didn't even have a card, I posted it on FB. Then a lady sees it, tells me she had this and that wrong with her and needed that card. I told her if she can walk around a store with no consequence, she does NOT need a handicapped card. It really really infuriates me!!!!

Rachelle

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    I have no idea where this post/rant should go so the moderators can feel free to move it.

Does anyone else in here get totally p$ssed off when they see someone get out of their vehicle that parked in a handicapped spot and walk to where they need to go, even if they have a disabled placard/sign in their mirror?

I work in a building that has roughly 400 employees. There are 6-7 handicapped spots and I'm the only one in a wheelchair deserving of such a spot. Everyone else works the system, gets a placard and is allowed to park there. It's such BS!! And it's not just at work, I see it everywhere.

Why do DMVs, doctors, etc. give permission to anyone and everyone for these parking passes? Is it because they were so lazy in their life that now their overweight, have high blood pressure, high cholesterol and they can't walk more than 10 feet without collapsing? It's complete crap!

I can understand if someone is elderly, but people that are still in the work force who are fat and lazy and on 10 medications just to keep them alive are allowed to park in a handicapped spot. It's not right.

I work out twice a day, without the use of my legs. Why can't these people? Their prescriptions should be for a gym membership, not Lipitor!

Park in the disabled spot, put your placard in the window, then get out of your car and walk to where you need to go. It should be against the law!

You are a good person!!!

its only needed for the extra room to get in/ out of car with chair....someone who might look fine from a distance maybe has a breathing problem, after all, its easier for me to roll a little further than for them to walk it
    - Rolling Thru Life -