Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Disabled Parking Placard

Disabled Parking Placard

I have no idea where this post/rant should go so the moderators can feel free to move it.

Does anyone else in here get totally p$ssed off when they see someone get out of their vehicle that parked in a handicapped spot and walk to where they need to go, even if they have a disabled placard/sign in their mirror?

I work in a building that has roughly 400 employees. There are 6-7 handicapped spots and I'm the only one in a wheelchair deserving of such a spot. Everyone else works the system, gets a placard and is allowed to park there. It's such BS!! And it's not just at work, I see it everywhere.

Why do DMVs, doctors, etc. give permission to anyone and everyone for these parking passes? Is it because they were so lazy in their life that now their overweight, have high blood pressure, high cholesterol and they can't walk more than 10 feet without collapsing? It's complete crap!

I can understand if someone is elderly, but people that are still in the work force who are fat and lazy and on 10 medications just to keep them alive are allowed to park in a handicapped spot. It's not right.

I work out twice a day, without the use of my legs. Why can't these people? Their prescriptions should be for a gym membership, not Lipitor!

Park in the disabled spot, put your placard in the window, then get out of your car and walk to where you need to go. It should be against the law!

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    Does anyone else in here get totally p$ssed off when they see someone get out of their vehicle that parked in a handicapped spot and walk to where they need to go, even if they have a disabled placard/sign in their mirror?
    Well as long as they're legally parked there it doesn't bother me at all. You need to know that not every ones disability can actually be seen and just because someone can still walk it's doesn't mean they are not disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinationUnknown View Post
    Well as long as they're legally parked there it doesn't bother me at all. You need to know that not every ones disability can actually be seen and just because someone can still walk it's doesn't mean they are not disabled.
    Thanks for the comment, but I don't agree. Seeing someone get out of their car, without using a walker, a cane, a wheelchair, any assistive device or even having a slight limp, and walk just like a normal person would, is wrong. My uncle has had 2 quadruple bypass surgeries, and obviously has heart disease, yet he doesn't have placard.

There's a lady who lives in my building, mid 60's probably. Every morning she walks with a friend to Dunkin Doughnuts for a coffee. Yet, she parks in the handicapped spot. It's these people who work the system. People that lived their lives eating whatever they want, killing themselves, being lazy, and now they need a disabled sign to hang in their mirror.

Like I said, it’s BS!

That is frustrating at times but as stated above, we can't always see someones disability.
    I parked as far away as I could at my work and let others just like those you described above park in the handicapped parking. When they would see me rolling from the other side of the parking garage they would say there is ample handicapped parking, why don't you park over here? I told them because I wasn't handicapped. I roll, they walk, it doesn't mean that I need a special parking spot. Their faces changed because, I can only assume that they thought, just because you have a card means that you need to park there. I don't need to park there but it sure is nice to have one for times when I need to. 2 of the people took the point and stopped parking there as well because they didn't have a good enough reason and one of them felt a little bad for playing on the company ball team but parking in handicapped parking at work. People made pretty ugly statements to those that parked there after they learned that I didn't park there and actually parked further away than anyone (so no one would park next to me).
    I do park in handicapped at Wal-mart, when I can find one. It's a lot closer to carry bags out to my car and our wal-mart has a slopped parking lot.
    Other than that I try to avoid it. I like the exercise I get from rolling as often as I can.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

so true.
    my disability is obvious in the summer but winter long pants cover my braces. my walk is a mess too, but Ive been harassed in the past by wheelers.
    when I use a chair, my crutches or styx are on the back. its much less painful to be in a chair, and I dont get tired so fast, but its much more dangerous to go through a parking lot in a chair. people cant see you when the back up.

my sister is a large lady with lupus, asthma, diabetes and survived an aggressive cancer. she does not have a placard. she would benefit from one more than I.
    I park where I can and do not use my placard unless in the city, or with friends who need it also. then there is my friends with Ms. they have a lot of trouble walking very far, and also have been yelled at by people over the years, but their disability is as obvoius as mine.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinationUnknown View Post
    These spaces are not for every "disabled" person. They are for disabled people that have their mobility impaired. Meaning that they use something like a cane, walker, wheelchair, etc.. or they cannot walk 250 feet without stopping to rest. These spaces are not consolation prizes because you have "something" wrong with you. Doctors could do a lot to help but I think a lot of them do hand them out like consolation prizes... In NC here is a list of eligibility requirements
    Qualifying Disabilities
    When it comes to eligibility for disabled placards and license plates, "disabled" is defined as a person who is experiencing at least one of the following conditions:

Unable to walk 200 feet without stopping to rest
    Requires a brace, cane, crutch, another person, wheelchair, prosthetic device, or other assistance to walk
    Has restrictions from lung disease
    Requires portable oxygen
    Has a debilitating cardiac condition
    Unable to walk due to arthritis or a neurological or orthopedic condition
    Is totally or legally blind
    Last edited by djrolling; 04-12-2011 at 04:18 PM.

I think it would benefit you to politely ask if these people could park elsewhere as you need the space to get your wheelchair out. Getting worked up about it is negative for you and isn't solving anything.

Agree with Leah......talk to the building manager, someone, about getting a designated spot for you. Yes, you could park further away but I can't believe it is the safest thing to roll thru the parking lot/garage once people are off work and racing around to get out of there.....you're going to be hard to see. Using the handicapped parking is for your safety as well as the convenience in getting in and out of your vehicle.

The ones I hate the most are the veterans with a PTSD or other mental diagnosis of disability. Try to find a spot at any VA facility that is not taken by someone with a mental disability. These guys qualify for the placard and I have been involved in online arguments with many who gloat about getting a handicapped placard for a mental disability. Save it, I'm not listening.

I got stuck in a spot that gave plenty of room to get the chair out of the car because it was next to a pillar in the parking garage. Trouble is the spot was so narrow that I couldn't get my chair through the space between my car and the pillar.

Why do companies let their handicapped workers cars sit all day in the handicapped spaces leaving nowhere for the visitors and customers to park. Walmart is famous for this.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    These spaces are not for every "disabled" person. They are for disabled people that have their mobility impaired. Meaning that they use something like a cane, walker, wheelchair, etc.. or they cannot walk 250 feet without stopping to rest. These spaces are not consolation prizes because you have "something" wrong with you. Doctors could do a lot to help but I think a lot of them do hand them out like consolation prizes...
    Well if the person was issued the placard, then I would certainly hope they had met those actual requirements. Yes I do understand that there are people who probably don't meet all those requirements and are using someone elses placard, but there's really nothing I could do about it. I have no control over it, so I don't worry about it. Also unless you're following a person around measuring the distance they've traveled from their parking spot to wherever they are going, then how do you even know if and when they have to stop to rest. Some people have disabilities which they have good days/bad days and on those bad days they may feel it absolutely necessary for them to park in a handicapped spot.