Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does being on SSDI automatically put you into Medicare?

from medicare.gov

http://www.medicare.gov/publications/pubs/pdf/02179.pdf

This says pretty much the same thing, but explains it slightly differently. Same answer tho. COvers a lot more specifics.

eta ..... damn, this post looks like it is spam, lol
    Last edited by sjean423; 04-12-2011 at 12:29 AM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post
    Chad was approved for SSDI awhile back and we just got a letter today "welcoming" him to Medicare. He has in the past, and hopefully still can have, health insurance through his employer?

So anyone know what this means? Can he still have his health insurance through his job? He's on LTD from it and SSDI kicked in after 3 years on LTD, but he's still technically on LTD and gets some income from his employer.

Speaking of which, does that affect me? I am on his benefits from work, so would that force me onto Medicare? (I am not currently employed, we pay his work for my benefits under his group benefits totally out of pocket)
    Have you and your husband been paying Insurance premiums through COBRA provisions?

Amy, you won't have insurance when Chad's coverage ends through his employer.

How long does his LTD benefits last? It depends on what his policy says and how long the policy pays out. It also depends on how long his employer will allow you to continue buying your insurance coverage out of pocket (cobra).

I would call the HR department and ask questions to get answers to the above.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Ches and others: I do not work (currently) so I am covered under Chad's insurance through his employer. He is on LTD from his employer. All the answers above help, thank you! (and DD, we are not using COBRA, this is his insurance and I'm covered as a dependent)

One day, his medical coverage through the group plan will end for both of you. This should be spelled out in the plan documents. Your coverage eligibility will also end at that time. Often this is when the participant becomes eligible for medicare. You will have a COBRA eligibility at that time. Check you plan documents. If they are allowing you to continue on the plan contrary to the plan documents, they can terminate you at any time and say they made a mistake in allowing you to remain on the plan.

Employers do not offer medicare supplements as part of their plans. They may have info on what their carrier offers. I would suggest that you look into these supplements because once the group coverage terminates, you may not be able to get it for him. This is his one window for coverage that cannot be denied. He will have the opportunity to change it every year during the equivalent of open enrollment. You also need to shop for medical coverage for yourself.

I do not mean to scare you but you need to be informed. There are many places here where you can fall through the cracks and not know until it is too late.--eak

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post
    (and DD, we are not using COBRA, this is his insurance and I'm covered as a dependent)
    I always get COBRA confused...sorry.... Insurance in general makes me

I had hoped Ms Kephart would see this as she is a smarty in that area..

Good Luck

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post
    From ssa.gov

Altho it it titled for working beneficiaries, my situation, and I think offroaderswife's is included in the part I bolded. It makes more sense in the example, the initial explanation is poorly worded. Because Chad still gets some income from his employer, I think this rule applies to him as well. So it depends on the size of the company. Over 100 employees, private in surance in primary, under 100 employees, medicare is primary.

For me, with the private insurance being primary, I don't worry about whether or not a doctor accepts medicare patients. Any care is billed to my primary (private) insurance. Any co-pays, or part of that 80/20 stuff gets billed to medicare. Once my deductible is met, the two usually mesh to cover the entire bill.

If medicare is secondary, since Chad's docs don't accept medicare, you could just decline part B and not pay the premiums, since you won;t be benefiting from them. You can change that under certain circumstances, (which I didn;t realize at the time) but can't see a situation where Chad would be losing his primary insurance.

If it is primary (his company having under 100 employees) I don't know if you can decline it, I think it would be the same as I said above about the primary possibly requiring you to take what is available.

(Hope this makes sense, I keep editing this , but it keeps getting worse.)
    calling bullshit on the medicare info. i am well under 65 and disabled. they refused to be my primary for almost a yr now. have yet to see them pay. keep watching, i'm paying medicare, work ins secondary. i'm fed up.\\

they admitted to be primary. medicare i mean. waiting to see payment.
    Last edited by cass; 04-13-2011 at 12:24 AM.

Borrow money online

I need cash quick today need money fast, borrow money fast need money fast need loan now.

OK, now I'm really freaked out because we weren't planning on me working for quite awhile and since I *thought* I had group coverage through his employer (which is >>> 100 employees) that I would be fine. For a variety of reasons, I am essentially uninsurable, so I think the only option is to get a job with benefits.... which if I leave the workforce for a number of years I'll be screwed.

Pass me the wine!!!

Thanks everyone, esp ekephart.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    calling bullshit on the medicare info. i am well under 65 and disabled. they refused to be my primary for almost a yr now. have yet to see them pay. keep watching, i'm paying medicare, work ins secondary. i'm fed up.\\

they admitted to be primary. medicare i mean. waiting to see payment.
    Cass not really sure on what information you are calling bullshit on.

Medicare rules are spelled out on their website.

Now it gets screwed up because you have to call Coordination of Benefits and explain to them that you have stopped working. This is different than just going on Medicare and calling Medicare on the back of your card. 1-800-999-1118 is the Coordination of Benefits number.

Mine was screwed up too and they weren't paying since 2007. Until I called in January 2011...they would not pay a claim.

What Sjean posted is correct... I would call the coordination of benefits number and talk to them and your problems should be cleared up.