Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Does being on SSDI automatically put you into Medicare?

Send them a letter requesting a copy of the "Plan Document". If this is a group plan, they are required by the Department of Labor to provide you with this. That document will tell you what the provisions are for LTD and medical coverage. You should also request the document for the LTD plan to make sure there are no conflicts (one document says one thing and the other says something else).

The plan must be a small group where medicare is primary. It really should make any difference to you since between the two, expenses should be mostly covered. I would not spend much energy worrying about who is primary, the feds know if it is a small or large group and will go after the group themselves for anything they spent. I know this because I complete the paperwork for our group every year. I understand that meds are not an issue at this point but I would still look into the cheapest supplement you can get so that in the future, you can change it to one that provides coverage for meds, especially if group coverage is lost. Ask the carrier for the supplement if you get to make a change if group coverage ends or if you have to wait until the end of the year.

So are there more than one "The Plan" documents? One for LTD and one for medical coverage?

Yes, each policy is a different plan to the DOL. Each has its own plan document and is required to file tax returns each year. They may try to satisfy you with a "Summary Plan Description". While that is nice, you need the full "Plan Document" which goes into much more detail. You are entitled to these documents as well as the form 5500 (tax return). A written request protects your rights and gives you a recourse in the event that they are uncooperative and you have to write to the DOL. --eak