Thread: How can I copy A DVD using a Mac

How can I copy A DVD using a Mac

How can I copy A DVD using a Mac?
    I have two superdrives in my tower Mac, is there and software I need to download? So I can copy a DVD?

If you just want to copy in order to watch on the computer or on an iPod or something, I recommend HandBrake (it's free). I use it, and it's pretty easy to figure but. You can adjust the quality settings, and it has presets for different devices. Then there's RipIt for archiving full-quality DVDs, but it's recently been updated to convert for the iPad, etc.

If you're looking to just duplicate to another DVD, I'm not sure how to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by HR View Post
    How can I copy A DVD using a Mac?
    I have two superdrives in my tower Mac, is there and software I need to download? So I can copy a DVD?
    Take a look at alternative to for free burning software.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

i use burn. it's free and easy to use
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Wondershare.com makes a few different products that will archive and transcode for different devices. They cost $50(ish) but offer lots of solutions. If that's overkill, I would go with Handbrake as was already suggested.
    -------------------------
    "...the most reliable and useful courage was that which arises from the fair estimation of the encountered peril..." Herman Melville: Moby Dick

Angry Copying a DVD

I want to copy a DVD with Handbreak but just can,t understand how to.

Do the make copying a DVD for dummies?

Once installed open the HandBrake application. The application should default to a simple interface like the screenshot below.

Once you've selected the DVD you want to copy or back up insert it into your Mac. Now click on the icon that says "Source" and click your DVD drive. This should gather some information about the DVD you want to copy.
    Once this is done you'll need to decide what type of format you should export the DVD to. To do this easily there are some presets which can be found on the "Presets Toggle" bar as shown in the screenshot below.

These presets should be for most beginners wanting to backup their DVDs. If you're not sure which preset to use then the rule of thumb is the larger the screen size intended the larger the file format will be and the longer it will take to copy your DVD. As an example, copying a DVD to Television output will take up more room on your hard drive than copying a DVD to iPod quality output.

Once you've decided which preset you'd like to use then simply click on the start button. The program will take care of the rest. The program might take a while depending on how long the DVD you want to copy is and the output quality.

Once finished you can check the file by opening it on your Mac to where the file was saved. By default the program saves files to the Desktop. Once saved you can move the file to wherever you want to play the content.
    http://www.applesource.com.au/softwa...9287531,00.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by HR View Post
    I want to copy a DVD with Handbreak but just can,t understand how to.

Do the make copying a DVD for dummies?
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!