Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comments on kitchen design

Room with a view

Here's a picture of my sink layout so far. Next is the counter tops, sink, faucet and the wall tiled. I'll post a finished picture when everything is complete.

Moving along ...

Ti

Addendum: My wife took the picture. Until I got to the house modifications were done to the front sink frame. It is two frames joined together which makes it weak for the counter top. You can see a black strip of angle iron on the top. There is also one on the bottom. From the floor to the bottom of the frame is 25". I can't get underneath the sink frame. The contractor is going to cut 3/4" off the bottom so I can clear it and get underneath it. They will keep the angle iron there with the front cabinet faces folding outwards for storage. I'll post another photo of the back side and the modifications showing how the angle iron is attached and strengthening it. Then I'll follow up with the final kitchen setup.

Ti
    Last edited by titanium4motion; 05-03-2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Addendum
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Nice Ti
    _____oOo_____
    Phil C6
    "If you can't explain it to me in less than 10 seconds, it's probably not worth knowing anyway..." - Calvin

Hi, AO

Take a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERvQPTTWugE this was done back in 2007 when I modified a home I purchased. You might be able to get some ideas from the kitchen in it.

I got some of my ideas from Scavolini Kitchens out of Italy one of the few kitchen manufactures in the world that has a line of products dedicated to wheelchair users. http://www.scavolini.com/cucine.asp?cu_id=50&lang=EN
    you will see where I got some of my ideas from them.

They will tailor any of their kitchens for the wheelchair user. I was going to have one of theirs in my home but the shipping time didn't work out. Or at least the guys doing my house said it wouldn't. As it happened I could have ordered one and had it with four months to spare.

I have photo's of any parts of the kitchen if you want them. Just email me.

Geoffrey

Quote Originally Posted by AO View Post
    Do you guys think it's better to have a microwave directly on a counter top (closer to your lap) or will it work as well for quads to have a drawer underneath it (a bit higher than your lap).
    The microwave in your model is flush to the end or edge, which I think can be potentially dangerous, especially with hot foods and cookware. A pull-out drawer for extra counter space may provide the extra surface to work with but I'd be concerned about the additional drop - there is a drop from the microwave onto the counter itself, then the additional drop onto the pull-out surface. If the drop goes directly from the microwave onto the pull-out, that would mean a double drop in one instance. UAm I understanding what you are planning or wanting?

I prefer the microwave on the counter, recessed from the edge of the counter to allow me to pull items from the microwave onto the counter to cool off a bit. Also, if there is fluid in the dish, I can more carefully pull the dish out without spilling it, and the counter gives me room to get a good hold of it before moving it. The counter space with its height allows me room to lean on it and gather my balance if necessary. Anything lower, like at my lap level, would be too low and inhibit function.

Anyway, can explain a bit more about what you have in mind for yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey View Post
    Hi, AO

I got some of my ideas from Scavolini Kitchens out of Italy one of the few kitchen manufactures in the world that has a line of products dedicated to wheelchair users. http://www.scavolini.com/cucine.asp?cu_id=50&lang=EN
    you will see where I got some of my ideas from them.

They will tailor any of their kitchens for the wheelchair user. I was going to have one of theirs in my home but the shipping time didn't work out. Or at least the guys doing my house said it wouldn't. As it happened I could have ordered one and had it with four months to spare.
    Wow! And they use their designs in an Italian rehab hospital? I wish my rehab had had this kind of stuff. Just the major front unit of sink and range would make many smaller homes much more accessible. One thought here though. Almost all gas ranges and most electric seem to have the controls at the back of the stove. We paid more and went with a Jenn Air on this place after I first got out of rehab because it was the only range/oven we could find with controls at the front of an electric stove.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Great home design Geoffrey. I'm glad you kept the jacuzzi too. I'm a C6/7 incomplete. The woman who owned the condo before us actually removed the soaking tub because the room also has a huge walk in shower. In its place she put a make up vanity. Thankfully the plumbing was just capped before the retiling. So, out comes her custom make up vanity (I hope I can salvage it for the walk in closet/dressing room) and in will go a soaking tub with a lift. As we age a good jacuzzi can do wonders for both comfort and circulation. And may I share this youtube video to my Facebook page?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Update

Well, here's an update of my kitchen sink area. That's a Kohler kitchen faucet.

The crew are still working on it and should be completed very shortly. Cabinet hardware and door hardware still need to be added and the shower room and bathrooms are still being worked on.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."