Thread: Drinking Water? Alkaline Or Acidic? Tap or Filtered?

Drinking Water? Alkaline Or Acidic? Tap or Filtered?

Since most of us either because of catheter needs or medication, drink copious amounts of water every day. I know for myself that I at least drink 3 or 4 L in order to flush the bladder with my super pubic catheter in as well as offset some of the medications.

Because sometimes I have way too much time on my hands, :-), I thought I would get your opinion on if you have read the debates about drinking filtered water versus tap water, and the debate over acidity affects versus those claimed by an alkaline diet?

Even though our tap water taste just fine to me, I was told to filter the water that I drank in order to prevent stones and have been doing so for quite a few years. I had stumbled upon an article about how filters such as Brita, Zero Water, Pur, etc. may be beneficial to remove chlorine and make the water taste better, but in doing so removes some vital nutrients and minerals that come from drinking water that is unfiltered. Specifically calcium and magnesium, and potentially potassium.

While we no longer get our water from the nearest spring outside our cave and gulp it with our hands, and many of us (especially Americans) don't eat the healthiest diets, some of the minerals that are filtered out may be necessary. I just think that these questions are somewhat important because we do drink probably more water on average than most people. In addition, many of us already take supplements like cranberry in order to prevent the dreaded UTIs which will also make our output of urine more acidic, but there is a debate as to whether or not this is healthy in terms of the acidity level since really urine is the only bodily fluid that changes its pH level. Food enters our stomach as an acid, like soda, and leaves the intestines alkaline with really the only thing changing is the pH level in our urine. Going to ask this question to my urologist as I'm genuinely interested as to how this affects organ tissue and may or may not lead to or prevent certain diseases such as bladder cancer or any other.

How do you all get your water? No, not through a bucket on your head down by the lake. But do you use any kind of water filtration system, deionized water, or tap water? Just curious.

I use only city water because it is tested weekly for a number of carcinogens and reported to the EPD, who monitors this very closely. Well water is not tested. It can develop bacteria which may or may not be harmful. Another consideration is the fluoride that is added to unfiltered tap water. I read where there is much more tooth decay in younger people that drink mostly bottled/filtered water that has the fluoride filtered out.

I hope this helps.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

We get our water from the cleanest lake in our province...not filtered other than running through a pump and 200 meters of pipe.... tastes delicious, we are healthy...the water is tested yearly.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

I live in the East Bay area of northern California. Our water company is highly rated for quality water, but we use an undersink water filter system by Dalton.
    Ours has one ceramic element and one carbon element for chemicals, microbiological and heavy metals (lead) reduction, taste, odor, particulate and turbidity removal, but does not remove minerals from the water, which are beneficial to health. There are other filter elements for various water conditions. No electricity is required.

http://doultonusa.com/HTML%20pages/r...k%20models.htm

All the best,
    GJ

I have a Brita filter on my sink that I use to fill a Brita pitcher.

Hi Lawdog14,

Last night (actually the morning of the 6th) I listened to a Dr. Robert O. Young being interviewed on my favorite radio show Coast to Coast AM with George Noory and the topic was in essence "alkalining" the body. The talkshow airs 1:00AM to 5:00AM ET 7 days/mornings a week. I listen to it online and if I tune in late I can always listen to it from Hawaii on KHVH. The show there is aired twice... back to back from 1:00AM ET to 9:00AM ET. Since Hawaii doesn't observe Daylight Savings Time (DST) the times may vary by an hour depending on where you're listening from. Here's a map/list of all the radio stations that stream the show on the internet. You may find this type of late night talkshow appealing. In a nutshell:

Quote Originally Posted by Coast to Coast AM

Coast to Coast AM airs on more than 560 stations in the U.S., as well as Canada, Mexico and Guam, and is heard by nearly three million weekly listeners. With hosts George Noory, John B. Wells (weekend), George Knapp (weekend) and Ian Punnett (weekend), it is the most listened to overnight radio program in North America.

A media phenomenon, Coast to Coast AM deals with UFO's, strange occurrences, life after death, and other unexplained (and often unexplicable) phenomena. Coast to Coast AM is overnight talk radio with daytime ratings.
    If you get the idea that I really enjoy this show and would recommend it to other insomniacs like myself, you would be right. I'm especially into UFOs.... they're my favorite themed shows.

In another nutshell and onto your topic, the doctor's theory to a healthy life and strong immune system is to get and keep your body alkaline. Specifically between 7.36 to 7.4. His Mission Statement is:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Robert O. Young
    Our mission is to do all we can to change lives and save lives with an alkaline lifestyle and diet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coast to CoastAM
    Body Chemistry & Health
    Tuesday 02-05-2013

Research scientist focusing on cellular nutrition, Dr. Robert O. Young discussed what he believes to be the true causes of disease. This led him to develop a new form of biology to help people balance their body chemistry using mostly dietary changes and eliminating inflammation.
    You test your urine and saliva with a pH test kit or test strips several times a day. The best times to test at are 2:00AM & 2:00PM. I forget the reason why.

The good doctor didn't push his website or products very much during the show (as many talkshow guests do... some to ad nauseum!) but while listening to him I visited his website and wow, a whole lotta selling going on there. Not to say that his theory or science is skewed or bad in any way because of it but if one were to buy all of his products, one would be spending a whole lotta money there. I was going to add up everything that he advises to take and divide it by 12 months of the year just to see how much per month it would cost to follow his diet to a tee but I didn't. A quick ballpark figure might be $500 - $1000 a month!???

His most expensive item is a water kit called "The Premium H2O Pack" and when I read that "FINANCING (was) AVAILABLE" I almost flipped outta my chair. His single "affordable" non-electric water ionizer & alkalizer model costs about $650. "Afordable alkaline water ionizers will improve your health more than anything else you can buy." Not to be picky but on his website the word "affordable" was misspelled. Maybe even his web designer was so taken aback by the prices that he or she forgot to proofread the webpage!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Robert O. Young's website
    The Premium H2O Pack includes: pH Miracle 7 Plate Ionizer • Chanson Nano Pre-Filter™ • Chanson Spa Shower Filter • Chanson G2 Faucet • Ionizer Armor Protector • Digital pH Meter by HM. All for the price of a single ionizer! Click Here For: FINANCING AVAILABLE

Price: $2,437.00
    Anyway, aside from his seemingly expensive products, there is a lot of potentially valuable information at his website. And books that can be purchased if you think his biological science is worth more pursuit.

And as you wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by Lawdog14
    I had stumbled upon an article about how filters such as Brita, Zero Water, Pur, etc. may be beneficial to remove chlorine and make the water taste better, but in doing so removes some vital nutrients and minerals that come from drinking water that is unfiltered. Specifically calcium and magnesium, and potentially potassium.
    You're correct. That's one reason why at the good doctor's website they sell replacement vital nutrients and minerals to go along with their water ionizers and filters etc. I get my water from the same aquifer that the Silver Springs attraction near Ocala Florida gets theirs from and it's practically pristine. 99.8 percent pure. The attraction is "famous" for its glass-bottomed boats. And the old B&W Tarzan movies/TV series were filmed there.

I have a neighbor who bought one of those $5000 water purifiers. She is filtering out the natural and healthy calcium carbonate (limestone-lined aquifer walls) and magnesium etc. and replacing it with the salt which is used to flush the filter out with. Too much salt is bad for ya and she'll need to replace the vital minerals by buying them in a bottle at the store! The natural calcium carbonate is good for you because it's what makes the water alkaline. I've tested it before but my test kit only went up to pH 8. I'm sure it's more alkaline than that because it shows up a dark deeper blue than the chart indicates using a pool test kit. Baking soda (calcium carbonate) isn't recommended for drinking because it contains aluminum.... I think aluminum is added to keep the baking soda from clumping. Anyway......

Here's the last quote I'll post from the website just in case you don't bother to go there and read up alkalining your body. It's kind of an expansion of his mission statement and explains in a few paragraphs the importance he puts on his theory/science.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Robert O. Young
    When the toxins and acids are not properly eliminated, they take up residence in the body. When the fluids of the body are not healthy enough and/or plentiful enough to rid the body of waste products and toxins.. these products literally poison healthy cells.. and then serious health challenges of one kind or another are the result.

There are only four natural ways the body rids itself of waste products and toxins. They are Urination, Defecation, Respiration, and Perspiration. AND...their proper functioning is all dependent on the right kind of healthy electron rich water / and fluids in the body...and enough of them.

By the time you are 20 years old, your body is probably down from 90% water to about 70% water. By 50, most of us may be down to 50% water or less. You do not want to continue this ongoing decline. If you are drinking the right kind of water.... water that a good quality ionizer provides, then your body can hold more fluid in the cells and between the cells. When your body is properly and adequately hydrated, the body's cells, tissues, and organs are actually more "plump" and hold more alkaline fluids.

The bottom line is.... in order to establish and maintain healthy cells, tissues, and organs in your body, you must be drinking the right kind of alkaline, electron rich, water.

Alkalized water has a healthy pH of 9.5 or better. Ionized water has an ORP (Oxidative Reduction Potential) of about -200 to -400 mV. Purified water has all or most of the toxins and impurities removed. Instead of all the molecules being stuck together, structured water is broken into smaller molecular clusters for easier assimilation, which also provides more surface area of the water molecules to promote important chemical interactions.

In my 25+ years of studying nutrition and blood microscopy, I have found NOTHING that a person can do that is more important to his or her health than changing the kind of water that they drink.
    His flagship book "The pH Miracle" has been revised and updated. If you're interested in reading more about the subject and only want to buy one book, it's probably the one to get.

Take care of yourself Lawdog14.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

*Disclaimer* - Sorry for the temporary hijack Lawdog !

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark View Post
    If you get the idea that I really enjoy this show and would recommend it to other insomniacs like myself, you would be right. I'm especially into UFOs.... they're my favorite themed shows.
    ..... Bob.
    Hi Bob

Hey me too - I've been a fan since the Art Bell days !

But back to topic - I heard that same show and wondered what would be the harm in simply adding baking soda to a liter of water and drinking that everyday to balance the ph in our body electric ! I think I caught something about aluminum in the soda but I missed some of the show - kept nodding off - funny thing about that !

Take care
    Obie
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

In the winter out here on the Oregon coast, we use rain water. Its PH is very acidic so we do not drink it. We get gallons of bottled water, which is about 7.9 PH and tastes great. Have tried to make the rain water more alkaline, but it always tastes kind of strange, and since I also have Gastropareisi, I have to be very careful with my gut.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

We use spring water from the mountain above the house. It's not filtered but is tested every year and have not had any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Obieone View Post
    *Disclaimer* - Sorry for the temporary hijack Lawdog !

Hi Bob

Hey me too - I've been a fan since the Art Bell days !

But back to topic - I heard that same show and wondered what would be the harm in simply adding baking soda to a liter of water and drinking that everyday to balance the ph in our body electric ! I think I caught something about aluminum in the soda but I missed some of the show - kept nodding off - funny thing about that!

Take care
    Obie
    Hi Obie,

As I guess you know George plays that "theme song" at the end of every Friday's show. They really got the lyrics fine tuned to the subject matter when they wrote it.

I always enjoy Linda Moulton Howe from earthfiles.com as a guest, usually once a month on a Thursday. Like you, I don't want to overly hijack Lawdog's thread so I'll try to keep this short but there's about a dozen or so UFO regulars that I really enjoy as guests. For brevity's sake I won't name them now!

I think it was pre-internet, while thumbing through the radio dial I caught Art Bell on the air a few times. I really enjoyed the show but didn't know what it was all about. I just knew that I was interested in UFOs (no doubt in my mind they're here!) and the few times that I was able to hear him it was on topic. I live in an area that can't receive a C2C signal on the radio, AM or FM. At least not very well. If the atmospheric conditions are just right and I keep tweakin' the dial, I can listen to it along with a lot of static on some channel down in Orlando. Do you listen to the show on the radio or on the Internet?

Art is now living in the Phillipines and married to a beautiful woman. They have at least 2 young cutey pies together.

If you keep nodding off I'll do George's job and recommend you join "The Coast Insider's Club". Hey, it's only 15 cents a day and you can listen to Art Bell's archived shows! Or tune in later to the Hawaiian station KHVH that I linked to above.

I better stop now.

You take care too Obie.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria