Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which one TiLite ZRA,ZR or TR

SCI-OTR has a great post on measuring for a chair. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=144310&page=4

If you are looking for a new cushion, I suggest you get pressure mapped. B. is so right about getting a proper cushion forst then order the chair. YOur GPV can be adjusted a lot. I suggest you try to maximize it first to see where you are and then order the new chair.

Remember if you add a 4" caster to the front to make sure your acaster housings are at 90o. Bring that back forward just a touch. Like B. sa,ys not everyone like it at 90o.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    SCI-OTR has a great post on measuring for a chair. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=144310&page=4

If you are looking for a new cushion, I suggest you get pressure mapped. B. is so right about getting a proper cushion forst then order the chair. YOur GPV can be adjusted a lot. I suggest you try to maximize it first to see where you are and then order the new chair.

Remember if you add a 4" caster to the front to make sure your acaster housings are at 90o. Bring that back forward just a touch. Like B. sa,ys not everyone like it at 90o.
    Here is a link to the article I said was going to appear in Rehab Management. They didn't use any of the images I submitted. I think these two convey key concepts...

Oh, and they also omitted the title "Did Your First Chair Suck?" from the CC poll I referenced.

Steve, any thoughts you can add to this guys situation and/or differences you see in what is suggested?
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    Steve, any thoughts you can add to this guys situation and/or differences you see in what is suggested?
    The GPV Competition was the first rigid frame I ever used on a regular basis, so I am pretty familiar with it. rolling01au, there are several things to keep in mind when trying to translate your specs to any TiLite model with the exception of the Aero R.

I'll post some of these later on today.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    The GPV Competition was the first rigid frame I ever used on a regular basis, so I am pretty familiar with it. rolling01au, there are several things to keep in mind when trying to translate your specs to any TiLite model with the exception of the Aero R.

I'll post some of these later on today.

Cheers mate,appreciated
    Looking at prices on sportaid (including options i would want) its seems as tho a TR will only be $100 more so still undecided.Have put the 4" castors on this evening so will try them out tomorrow being a bigger wheel it will also give alittle more dump.
    Last edited by rolling01au; 04-14-2011 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rolling01au View Post
    Cheers mate,appreciated
    Looking at prices on sportaid (including options i would want) its seems as tho a TR will only be $100 more so still undecided.Have put the 4" castors on this evening so will try them out tomorrow being a bigger wheel it will also give alittle more dump.
    If I was spec'ing your new chair, I would not be very confident in the accuracy of my specs without addressing a few issues on the GPV Competition first. The most important things seat depth and seat slope...

I would agree with Patrick's comment that the cushion is too long for you. In addition to making your feet pop off of the footrest over minor pavement irregularities, it may actually be pulling you into posterior pelvic tilt. I would definitely recommend lowering the rear STF and bringing the backrest angle more upright. If you lower your rear STF 1", bring your back angle up to ~95 degrees, and switch to 4" front casters, you may not only find you will be able to sit more-upright, you may be able to self-propel more-efficiently.

Even if you are able to get the GPV Competition really dialed in, it is likely you will still need an adjustable model. Going from a GPV Comp to any contemporary ultralight rigid frame is like going from a Humvee to a sports car. I'd wouldn't be very confident in specs for a TR, Terminator, or any other fixed STF height model unless you can obtain a representative demo of a particular model. Brianm successfully made a similar transition, but he had access to an adjustable ZRa demo. He also posted on this forum for months before he felt sufficiently confident to pull the trigger on a TR.

Given your particular situation, I would strongly recommend the ZRA Series 2, AeroZ Series 2, or possibly the new modular frame Crossfire T7A. (Have you ruled out Melrose or any other models made in Australia?).

The weight and how it is distributed is substantially different on the newer models. The lower frame rail, axle plate assembly, bolt on caster barrels, and all associated hardware make the GPV Competition considerably heavier and give it a low center of mass. Because a fair amount of this weight is below the axle plate, the GPV Comp probably crashes into sidewalk cracks and other pavement discrepancies, but still gets over them due to momentum. Though jarring, I doubt it poses a significant endo risk. On the other hand, cantilevered models lack a lower frame rail and have a camber tube which is clamped on from above. As a result, they are not only much lighter than a GPV Competition, they have a higher center of mass. A cantilevered frame will be much easier to self-propel, but is also a greater risk of endos. Instead of crashing over pavement discrepancies like the GPV, there is a good possibility that 3" casters will plant and bring the chair to an abrupt stop--causing the entire chair to tip forward.

For impact absorption, I would suggest 5x1.5 poly casters with the standard bearing fork. This would give you the option of switching to 4x1.5's. TiLite CAD draws each chair to ensure there is sufficient footrest/caster clearance for whatever caster size is specified. (If spec'd with 4" casters, there may be clearance issues if you decided to switch to 5" casters). The base frame of the T7A has simply been designed from then outset to accommodate either size.

Cantilevered frame models also have less static rearward stability than a big old box frame like the GPV. It looks like you have more-ground clearance than necessary, a fairly thick cushion, and an excessively reclined back angle. I'd be concerned that duplicating that setup on a cantilevered model would create a fairly top heavy chair that could easily flip backward. Lowering both front and rear STF heights 1-2" would reduce the top-heaviness, while bringing the back angle more upright would increase rearward stability. If you don't feel adding some seat dump is an option, the T7A's modular design has a lower center of mass and would be more-stable.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 04-15-2011 at 10:15 AM.

rolling, all this information may be a lot to take in, but I highly recommend you read and reread everything. Don't take lightly the information from SCI_OTR, not only is he a chair user himself, he also does this for a living and you would be hard pressed to find someone more knowledgeable, not to mention willing to give their thoughts and opinions. SCI_OTR rightly points out that I asked many questions over many months before ordering a new chair; I highly recommend you continue to ask questions to the point you have a confident grasp on things, being you are doing this on your own, as it appears, which is fine as long as you do your homework.

I don't know how long you have been in a chair and you may be comfortable how you are, but I think we all agree that there can be improvements that are beneficial to you.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Thanks SCI and Brian for your informative posts and has given me a few more things to think about.I tried out the chair with 4" on it yesterday and didnt really notice much differance so im now leaning towards 4" soft rolls.And you have convinced me im better off with the zra2 than tr.I guess my main concern with dump is will i be able to slide board over the wheel when transfering.

thanks again im sure i'll be back with some more annoying questions.
    btw Brian i've been in a chair since 94

rolling, both SCI_OTR and Brianm (+others) were a huge help to me last fall when I needed my first chair. They gave me great advice, and I am superbly happy with my chair.

I did my research here for several months, decided on a chair, very carefully filled out the order form, and took it with me to the US Veterans Administration fitting. They confirmed all my specs, and ordered what I asked for.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Wow SUCH a helpful post. I am looking to go from a GPV (as shown in avatar) to a ZRa - This discussion has given me much more than think about but very worthwhile. - I hope everything worked out for you Rolling