Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone out there live by themselves?

21 years on my own, i cross my feet and just twist, roll right over.......i use a waterbed and never had a red spot......

Hi invacare has decent gell cell pressure relief matress toppers that I like and use .
    good luck
    Sincerely ; GL

Quote Originally Posted by Jonna View Post
    Thanks W-f-E, this info helps - will begin my search for an affordable pressure relief/tempurpedic. Do you know if a mattress topper or eggshell (could be called egg-crate) mattress (a topper of sorts I think) will reliably do the same as the tempurpedic you have?
    No, it wouldn't. I have tried the eggshell overlay and it didn't work the same way. But you can get a good memory foam mattress that are cheaper than the tempuric and works the same. The reason I don't turn is because I don't turn in my sleep and I never wake up in the night because I take all my medication at night time. It is heavy to turn on a tempuric, I have a low complete injury, I can do it, but very seldom do. I lay on the side and sometimes I am turning over to the back in my sleep. My tempuric is a mattress topper, I have a cheap foam mattress under. I think IKEA has a cheap memory foam mattress or mattress topper, I have the pillow from there and it work fine. I don't have an idea about the prizes in other countries. We don't buy a lot of the equipment, we get it for free.
    Last edited by woman from Europe; 04-23-2011 at 04:12 AM.
    TH 12, 43 years post

I live alone for the most part. I have a caregiver come in the morning who helps get me fed, give me out of bed and run whatever errands I have to run inside of 3 1/2 hours, then later in the night I have someone else come in around 8 PM to get me in bed, give me fed and get a shower a few days a week. As far as turning, I do what I can to would around on my mattress and keep my head as low as possible and sleep on a low air loss mattress. During the day, if I'm up in my chair, I have someone set a half a sandwich on the door in the refrigerator before they leave, but I always eat lunch before someone goes. I keep one of those life alert necklaces on me which is really saved me a couple of times when I lost my balance and fallen over to the side or fallen straightforward. It's just a matter of getting set up for the day and night and keeping what you might need around you.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonna View Post
    Thanks W-f-E, this info helps - will begin my search for an affordable pressure relief/tempurpedic. Do you know if a mattress topper or eggshell (could be called egg-crate) mattress (a topper of sorts I think) will reliably do the same as the tempurpedic you have?
    Everyone is different, but i've used an egg crate foam pad over my mattress for 15 plus years now and never get any pressure sores.

I have a pressure relief mattress but I still roll at night (my shoulders get sore if I sleep on one side all night). I use leg straps to maneuver my legs and hook my wrist through my bed rails.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." -Adam/Mythbusters

I roll over or turn to my side by grabbing my triangle trapeze bar on my bed
    I bought one used for $40 and it saves me from straining my weak abdomen
    Definitely it works for me ...
    Everyone has their own styles/ preferences
    This is a good tread very helpfull
    Sincerely ; GL

Sarah also has a temperpedic bed. Works great for her. She too, no longer turns at night. She shifts enough that she has not had any pressure sores. Sarah is also looking to live independently in the near future. What 21 year old wants to live with her mom? I know that I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    No, it wouldn't. I have tried the eggshell overlay and it didn't work the same way. But you can get a good memory foam mattress that are cheaper than the tempuric and works the same. The reason I don't turn is because I don't turn in my sleep and I never wake up in the night because I take all my medication at night time. It is heavy to turn on a tempuric, I have a low complete injury, I can do it, but very seldom do. I lay on the side and sometimes I am turning over to the back in my sleep. My tempuric is a mattress topper, I have a cheap foam mattress under. I think IKEA has a cheap memory foam mattress or mattress topper, I have the pillow from there and it work fine. I don't have an idea about the prizes in other countries. We don't buy a lot of the equipment, we get it for free.
    Thanks again W-f-E. Will check out IKEA (which happily has a location not too far from where I live). Research field trip!
    Do not confuse silence with consent or fatigue for indifference.

I invested i a memory foam mattress (Seally True form Posturpedic) and was a god send. Not only no sores, sleeps great.