Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: My wheelchair emergency has happened!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Aw shit. Got into my iGlide this morning. When I started to pull away from my bed, it went bonkers. It appears that the computer is gone so the chair is history. My shoulders are not happy with my 15 year old Quickie Triumuph so I am in desperate straits.

I am agonizing over e-motions, xtender, or going right to a power chair. If I go to one of the other power assists, it will mean a new chair as well because my 15 year old won't work. If I could get pattherat's ZX1 I would do that in a minute, or if Burgerman's chair was available, I would go that way. However, because my need is immediate, I cannot wait. Until then, my mobility is going to be limited to nurse my shoulders along. Compactness is an issue. My home is fine for a manual chair, but most powerchairs are a tight fit. Your suggestions are welcomed.

This is the predicament I have been dreading.
    I was dreading this happening to me so I found a Pride 1103 Ultra. It has a small footprint and an elevating seat. Now when I come home from wherever and shower, I just switch chairs and use this one (1103) as my house chair. If needed, I could use it daily but it is just slower than my Invacare.

Good luck Bill.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Timaru View Post
    If you take the pc route treat yourself to a seat lift, it really is a game changer.
    I am suffering from sticker shock. The Permobil robbers are wanting to install 2 lead acid gel batteries in their chairs for $775. I am getting so pissed off that I am about to close the door on wheelchair manufacturers and start walking again. It's much less costly!
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I am suffering from sticker shock. The Permobil robbers are wanting to install 2 lead acid gel batteries in their chairs for $775. I am getting so pissed off that I am about to close the door on wheelchair manufacturers and start walking again. It's much less costly!
    I don't know how Permobil get away with charging twice or even three times the price of comparable kit from the opposition.

How much was the walking option?

I hear ya 55. I went looking on Tuesday and was shocked by the crap that is out there and the prices they charge. It seems they all had a drawback or something faulty. The rep from Permobil was at the dme when I tried out the M300 and kept saying "it's not Permobil that cause the delay its the vendors. Vendors say it's the manufacturers.

I've decide to go ahead and sella couple of my guitars and buy one of Pat's ZX-1's. I think it will be a good trade-off. We have a Lions club here who has over 80 power chairs, some likew brand new, that I'll eventually go look at.

One thing I notced in a PC is the inability to open doors and do a lot of the stuffr I normally take for granted. Going up and down my ramp in the van was scarier than doing a 60 foot high fall. And forget about tranferring into my drivers seat, no room in a mini van. Arrrgh I hate this stuff.

Blog Entries
    There are a number of battery manufacturers that will be glad to sell you a comparable or better battery for MUCH less than the dealers.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Sears sells Die Hard gel cells for powerchairs.

batteries are salty. I just paid almost $500/delivered for a pair of MK group 24, 73 amp hour batteries. I searched the Internet kingdom and that was the cheapest I could come up for that particular brand and strength.

that being said, I heartily agree that power wheelchair pricing is a frigging racket.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Right Wesley. These are the type of batteries that a Permobile requires.
    Sci 55., you do need to watch closely what batteries the chair needs. One DME put the cheapest ones in my Omegatrac and I could hardly go around the corner. They are hard to tell apart.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

My Permobil C300 uses group 34 batteries. A dealer in Roseburg, Or. sells the MK brand for $400/pr. with free shipping and no exchange on your old batteries. Also found group 34 at Battery Factory(?) for that price.

The struggle continues. Yesterday I had a wheelchair/seating evaluation done by a very knowledgeable and understanding P.T. A tech from my local DME was there and brought along a chair with the xtender and one with e-motions. They are not impressive, and in fact, I have definitely ruled out e-motions. They make the chair too heavy and too tough to wheel when not operating. Also, they do not appear to restrain the chair going down grades and that is downright dangerous for me.

However, an abundance of info gained from the eval point to the need for a power chair. As the P.T. put it, I should be doing a minimum of wheeling if I want to have enough arms and hands left to be able to dress, transfer some and feed myself for a few more years. I have not complained much about the pain I get from carpal tunnel and ulnar nerve compression. It is always there but not as pronounced as the shoulder pain.

As Patrick has stated, a power chair will make a radical change in the way I do things and make some serious trade-offs. To me, it seems as agonizing a change as it was going from walking to using a manual chair. The difficulties are amplified by the fact there is not a good power chair choice largely stemming from the bulk and weight of those lead-acid batteries. I had been looking at the Permobil line but the weight may max out my Uni Lite van lift. Others are too wide to work well in my bathroom. There always seems to be some major limitation. For me, the situation is made worse by the urgent need and the inability to move quickly in the “system.” Patrick, you are fortunate to have at least a little time to figure out things. That is an important message for all you manual chair users who are approaching the “golden years.” Start planning and preparing before it is too late.

The tech is going to bring out a couple chairs to my house on Monday to see how they fit.

In sum, I am a pretty discouraged guy right now. Diminishing independence is tough to take.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/