Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seat dump: balance vs posture

Seat dump: balance vs posture

Interested to hear from other Para's (or quad's with decent core muscle control) how much dump (difference between fsh and rsh) you prefer in your chair.

I hear a lot of people say that you're supposed to sit 'in' your chair, not 'on' it, but the more dump I have the more slouched I am. I currently have 1.5" or 2" (can't remember and haven't measured). I definitely feel comfortable but want to find a way to sit up straighter without feeling like I'm going to fall out. Anyone have suggestions?

Ps. I have moderate core muscles (good at wheelies, going off curbs, general balancing) but definitely can't do sit-ups, wheelie down a flight of stairs or fly off curbs like Toto
    "What is the first business of one who studies... To part with self conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to begin to learn what he thinks he already knows." -Epictetus (55-135) Greek Philosopher

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    i run 2 1/2" dump, any more makes me uncomfortable and start to have spasms.

I like 3" of dump with a 12" backrest. 14" if it's an ADI rigid back. I don't need dump for stability, I'm an ASIA B (nearly a C) T12 para, with sacral sparing. But, it's what is most comfortable to me. 2.5" is OK, but 2" or less doesn't feel very good, at all. I have a fusion from T10 to L3 and my muscles around there aren't used like they would be if I had no Ti in my back so I like to lean back a bit to help my sitting endurance. With less dump, though stable, I get sore in the lower back much quicker.

Also, keep in mind backrest angle and seat to footrest usually need to be adjusted when you change dump.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Blog Entries
    You might try changing the back angle to make you sit up straighter. Be aware that you may feel really unstable when you first change, but a few hours will make a big difference.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    I just took part in a wheelchair seating study, where a seating "expert" adjusted my chair. Prior to this I would adjust my chair, for comfort. For some reason I was all about making my seat have the least amount of dump and I ended up with 3 degrees (1" with an 18" deep cushion) for dump. My back was set so that I could raise both my hands out in front of me without falling forward, add an empty glass to my hands and I'd topple forward.

After chatting with the "expert", their goal seemed to be to have the seat back at the vertical, 90 degrees to the floor. Then depending on the individual adjust the seat dump so that the spine is in the correct alignment.
    Then when I put my hands out in front of me I fall forward, to be honest this irritated me so I backed off the back a little so I can just about put my hands straight in front of me without toppling.

I ended up with 8 degrees of dump (2.5"s with an 18" deep cushion)

I was more comfortable before, but apparently my spine is correctly aligned now, and everyone says I've lost weight !!! it's made me look thinner.

So my 2 cents is get someone who knows how to check your spine is correctly aligned and figure your seat dump from there.

Like NW says, object is to have a 90 to 92o back angle. Dump depends on level of injury. Lower breaks use less dump, higher more dump. I'm T'6/7 and have a 4' dump with 92o back. My buddy is a strong T/12 and uses a 1" WITH 90o back.

I'll look up my specs and find my dump ok ? I know I Need to do wheelies to get over certain things in my area

I know mine is not 90 degrees on back plus my back is 18 inches high because of my neck surgery .
    I'll look into the tech stuff later today as I love this type of helpful ideas etc... I'd measure mine now but I left it in the back of the truck to do some food shopping I know I have 5 degrees camber .

See yaaa all
    Sincerely GL

This is why it's important to get an adjustable chair before going non-adjustable. A person must tweak a chair to get it just right. Some like different settings even though they may be the same level of injury.

Patrick Madsen
    Sooo true That is funny how you just mentioned about adjusting
    about a year ago I took my wheelchair all apart and adjusted it to my personal preference I build motorcycles and had my wheelchair in the shop one day so
    I tore it all apart lol now it is set to my liking
    Now it works like a breeze

Quote Originally Posted by Covathalis View Post
    I currently have 1.5" or 2" (can't remember and haven't measured). I definitely feel comfortable but want to find a way to sit up straighter without feeling like I'm going to fall out. Anyone have suggestions?

Ps. I have moderate core muscles (good at wheelies, going off curbs, general balancing) but definitely can't do sit-ups, wheelie down a flight of stairs or fly off curbs like Toto

the most efficient dump for paras with abs is somewhere between 2" and 3", a chair with less is not stable, you could be pitched out of it very easy downhills, but there are others factors that influence like the cog and backrest.

I`ve got 2.76" dump with 3.34" cog and 10.62" backrest at 90ยบ.

Of course i`m speaking about active chairs for active guys, you could be seating in your house with 0" dump without any problem.
    Last edited by totoL1; 04-10-2011 at 01:39 PM.