Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seat dump: balance vs posture

Thanks guys.
    "What is the first business of one who studies... To part with self conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to begin to learn what he thinks he already knows." -Epictetus (55-135) Greek Philosopher

I'm a t-4 complete about 6'3" and I use the carbon-fiber jetstream. I have it set pretty low on my TiLite ZRA. I wanted to switch to the upholstery backrest, but when I tried it I slouched a good bit and didn't feel like it would be good for my posture long-term.
    Donnie: Dr. Xiao, What are your thoughts on a cure/combination therapy for SCI's??
    CG Xiao: Donnie, I don't want to disappoint you, but I think it is impossible to restore the continuity of the cord or "bridge the gap" in the near future, let's say: 50 years. Dr Wise Young has been my most respected scientist in SCI. He has dedicated and contributed to SCI no other can match.

Oh, and I ride about 1.5" of DuMp.. Sometimes i'll leave a dump back there...
    Donnie: Dr. Xiao, What are your thoughts on a cure/combination therapy for SCI's??
    CG Xiao: Donnie, I don't want to disappoint you, but I think it is impossible to restore the continuity of the cord or "bridge the gap" in the near future, let's say: 50 years. Dr Wise Young has been my most respected scientist in SCI. He has dedicated and contributed to SCI no other can match.

This issue is really confusing for me.
    to explain.... I have been having shoulder problems, a rotator cuff, tear in one of the tendons, and my physiotherapist says that I slouch in my chair and my posture is contributing to my shoulder problem.
    i am getting a new back for my chair, a J3. I currently have a soft upholstered /velcro back.
    Anyway, I wonder about the dump on my chair, I actually don't know what degree it is. I have a rigid titanium frame. How do I measure it?

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Quote Originally Posted by partygirl View Post
    Anyway, I wonder about the dump on my chair, I actually don't know what degree it is. I have a rigid titanium frame. How do I measure it?

Measure from the floor to the underside of your cushion at the front and then from the floor to the underside of your cushion at the back of your cushion.

You should have two measurements.

Subtract the measurement you took from the back of the cushion from the measurement you took from the front of the cushion, this is your dump.

For the angle you need the length of your cushion

Then your angle = sin−1 (dump/length of your cushion)

Divide the dump by the cushion length. for example I have an 18" long cushion and have 2" of dump, so that gives me 0.111111

Then take that number and put it in here
    http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/math...Calculator.htm

Hit the equals (=) sign and it'll give you your angle.

For my example I put in 0.11111 and get 6.3787296225541.
    So I have 6 degrees of dump.

Dang NW, that made me dizzy trying to figure out the equation.lol
    I just thought about it in inches. Measure the front floor to seat and back f to s subtract the front from the rear and you have it. I have 20 in the front, 16 in the rear = a 4" dump.

Party, what's your level and what's the dump of the chair in inches. Is your back around a 90o angle? A photo with your hands hanging down in a natural position would help a lot.

Thanks Patrick, I thought it was just because I failed miserably at Maths in school!
    NW, you startled me!
    I will have to do the measuring tonight. My sitting position puts my middle fingers over the quick release buttons on my wheels,ie: the centre of the wheels.

What's your level Girl? Is there a two finger distance between the back of your knees and seat sling? If the seat is too long, it makes us move forward so we tend to slouch.

How much higher are your fingers from the middle of the button. Sounds like you are forward enough.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Dang NW, that made me dizzy trying to figure out the equation.lol
    I just thought about it in inches. Measure the front floor to seat and back f to s subtract the front from the rear and you have it. I have 20 in the front, 16 in the rear = a 4" dump.

Party, what's your level and what's the dump of the chair in inches. Is your back around a 90o angle? A photo with your hands hanging down in a natural position would help a lot.
    Just trying to cover all the bases.
    Where's your angle?

My back angle? 92o. Seat angle, according to the formula you posted= 12o.

4 inch dump divided by 18 inch seat length = .22222

Interesting, thanks.