Thread: Three Days to Cure Paralysis: Give Me Part of Your Weekend!

Three Days to Cure Paralysis: Give Me Part of Your Weekend!

This man is very serious for the cure.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 at 06:05 PM EDT

Three Days to Cure Paralysis: Give Me Part of Your Weekend!
    by diverdonreed

What we do in the next 60 hours will very likely determine if we cure paralysis in our lifetimes, or not.

AB 190, California's bill to fund the Roman Reed Spinal Cord Injury Research Act, needs one-- just one-- crucial Assemblymember's vote.

Seventeen years work to cure paralysis may come down to one man's vote-- and what we do in the few remaining hours before Tuesday, April 5th....

THREE DAYS TO PARALYSIS CURE: this weekend and Monday for AB 190

By Don C. Reed

For 17 years, I have worked to find a cure for paralysis—and it is all coming down to three days—today, Sunday, and Monday. What we do in these next three days will determine the success or failure of paralysis cure in your lifetime and mine.

Tuesday, April 5th, is the vote. If Assembly Bill 190 (Wieckowski, D-Fremont) passes the public safety committee, (we need 4 of 7 votes to pass) the Roman Reed Spinal Cord Injury Research Act will be funded-- and I believe I will see my son walk again.
    If the vote fails, I will still keep fighting, as will Roman—but it will most likely be for the next generation.

Here’s why.

AB 190 will fund the Roman Reed program, $3 per traffic ticket to curing spinal cord injury (SCI) research for cure. That targeted money-- $11 million year—will attract matching funds and add-on grants from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and other sources, as it has always done.

The California stem cell program will of course follow the research closely. Any portion of the cure which may have to do with stem cells will get their full attention; that is what they do.

The RR Act funds primarily the non-stem cell stuff. (Only 3% of our funding has gone to stem cells, see below for more info.)

RR Act plus national funding plus California stem cell program plus private investment when cure becomes a product—that is the perfect storm of cure.

more....

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/0...Your-Weekend!-

Did this pass?

Thnx Man. - Done.
    "It's not the despair, I can handle the despair! It's the hope!" - John Cleese

Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials. (Ox)
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Is this correct?

This is a paragraph from the linked article:

Another major research focus is on regeneration of the long connections of the spinal cord. Damage to these connections causes loss of bowel, bladder, and sexual function, the ability to breathe (for people like Christopher Reeve) as well as loss of the capacity to feel touch. Regeneration of connections is NOT addressed by stem cell therapies.

Is this last sentence correct?