Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aesthetically pleasing Wheelchair ramps to the front door

Quote Originally Posted by BJH View Post
    This is my parents house in Auburn Wa. They were redoing the whole front and wanted to have the ramp built in but not be the only thing you see. I love it! It is so easy to use when I come to visit and I think it looks great.

that looks great, my house in on a slab, so i've never had to worry, but always thought if I did build one, i don't like the look of the railing coming down at a angle, think i would somehow have the edge come stright across and put a angled railing inside it out of sight.
    i love what your folks did
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    i love this one also, because it's built into the design from the beginning, not a add-on later

thanks all for the pics
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Beautiful home, BJH. The ramp entrance was designed and executed exquisitely, prettiest I've seen, actually the first aesthetically pleasing ramp entrance I've seen.
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

Our solution at the lake was to add a few feet to the front deck, use a roll a ramp and put bricks on the end. The chair would just spin in the wet grass and dig up mud on the end of the ramp.
    It was a lot of money for our budget, but the best solution. I wanted the rails for myself when I push him up if he is tried and not puffing well on sip n puff or if he makes a crazy veer.
    The small ramp is from our garage into the house. We also have a small roll a ramp for things like the teeny step at the barber.
    Not sure why these don't come out as pictures....
    Last edited by LindaT; 04-10-2011 at 12:50 PM. Reason: tried to fix

Once passed a Catholic church with a stone ramp that had a carved design matching the rest of the church. It was a nice touch, but I didn't think to get pictures.

Thanks everyone for the compliments on the ramp. It is so much nicer than the old wood ramp they used to put out when I would come home. lol

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    ... i don't like the look of the railing coming down at a angle, think i would somehow have the edge come stright across and put a angled railing inside it out of sight.
    that's what i did. the railing starts at 42" high at the bottom and is 17" at the top. the ramp goes around two sides of a deck, with a 17" bench acting as a rail between the deck and ramp. from the street the whole deck and ramp are behind what appears to be a 42" fence.

i'll see if i can post some pics

here's what my ramp/deck looks like

That is an efficient and nice looking entrance Beecee.

^ thank you ^
    masters in architecture FTW