Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Photos: Icon prototype. Feedback requested.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    i think you meant Pete
    Right - sorry, I was answering using my iphone.

We're just in the process of jumping through some regulatory hurdles right now so that we can start to sell the chair without getting in any troubles from the regulatory authoritaaayyyes.

It's looking lieke we should be ok to sell in Canada this month, and in the US by next, but we're taking the regulatory requirements really seriously, and haven't even started talking to dealers yet.

Our setup will be fairly traditional - we'll have three regional reps - one for the west, and two for the east, divided into North and South who will manage our DME dealer network - we will not have any "exclusive" dealer arrangements, so people will always have a choice of who to deal with.

We (that is Icon as a company) won't do any direct sales, but the in-house regional reps will have some lattitude to sell direct if there's no dealer (or no good dealer) in the area.

We'll also be on the SportAid site for folks who want to go that route.

Chair is looking nice, I hope that the dealer issue that occurred with the Marvel doesn't happen again. As an example there was only 1 DME(several locations) in all of Texas that you could go to for a Marvel. After talking for them for 2 weeks about coming by to see it in person I showed up and they couldn't find the transfer bars, the tires were all flat and they hadn't' change it to my measurements and didn't know how, but they did show me and try to get me in a fucking Quickie Q7!

Speaking of transfer bars, what's the icon going to offer here?

Also what's this?
    Most everything I say is

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWheelz View Post
    Chair is looking nice, I hope that the dealer issue that occurred with the Marvel doesn't happen again.

Speaking of transfer bars, what's the icon going to offer here?

Also what's this?
    That is a Topeak saddle bag that we modified to act as an underseat storage compartment - it clips in and out - for folks with manual dexterity, it's a great option, for those who don't, they have a few other models that will be more appropriate, and rear-mounting zip-up top loading bags. The Icon will also be friendly for carrying backpack style bags.

Attachment 39837

For transfers, we're looking at coming up off the front wing with pommel-style handles, similar to this:

Attachment 39838

The Icon won't have front suspension, which will help a lot with transfer stability.

On the dealer issue, we intend to have a radically different strategy with Icon - last time around, we were following the advice of an MBA-toting marketing director that seems misguided in retrospect.

On his advice, we signed a number of exclusive dealer contracts, and didn't sell through online retailers - this time around, we will not sign any exclusivity agreements (I personally think that people buying wheelchairs have a right to choose who to buy from), and Sportaid will be key to our online strategy - I'm a big fan of the customer service they provide, and the people they have working with them, particularly Jimbo who is a bit of a legend for helping with the "fit" of a chair.

I hope that those two differences alone will be enormous improvements, and we're also looking at having regional sales directors to make sure that the dealers get the attention and service they need to keep our stuff in the front of the showroom, and in a good state of repair.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAdams View Post
    That is a Topeak saddle bag that we modified to act as an underseat storage compartment - it clips in and out - for folks with manual dexterity, it's a great option, for those who don't, they have a few other models that will be more appropriate, and rear-mounting zip-up top loading bags. The Icon will also be friendly for carrying backpack style bags.

Attachment 39837

For transfers, we're looking at coming up off the front wing with pommel-style handles, similar to this:

Attachment 39838

The Icon won't have front suspension, which will help a lot with transfer stability.

On the dealer issue, we intend to have a radically different strategy with Icon - last time around, we were following the advice of an MBA-toting marketing director that seems misguided in retrospect.

On his advice, we signed a number of exclusive dealer contracts, and didn't sell through online retailers - this time around, we will not sign any exclusivity agreements (I personally think that people buying wheelchairs have a right to choose who to buy from), and Sportaid will be key to our online strategy - I'm a big fan of the customer service they provide, and the people they have working with them, particularly Jimbo who is a bit of a legend for helping with the "fit" of a chair.

I hope that those two differences alone will be enormous improvements, and we're also looking at having regional sales directors to make sure that the dealers get the attention and service they need to keep our stuff in the front of the showroom, and in a good state of repair.
    Glad to see things moving along.

How tall with the pommel-style handles be? If they're to be even with the seat pan, they'd be quite tall, no?

Like many of the regulars here I've purchased lots of stuff from Sportaid over the years and agree that their customer service is top flight. I have also begun giving my business (the good kind) to bike-on.com, who I recommend frequently because I find their pricing to often be even better than Sportaid, and Scott Pellett is as informed and customer service-driven as anyone. So, as far as online retailing is concerned, is Icon exclusive to Sportaid or will customers have a range of choices here as well?

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Glad to see things moving along.

How tall with the pommel-style handles be? If they're to be even with the seat pan, they'd be quite tall, no?

Like many of the regulars here I've purchased lots of stuff from Sportaid over the years and agree that their customer service is top flight. I have also begun giving my business (the good kind) to bike-on.com, who I recommend frequently because I find their pricing to often be even better than Sportaid, and Scott Pellett is as informed and customer service-driven as anyone. So, as far as online retailing is concerned, is Icon exclusive to Sportaid or will customers have a range of choices here as well?
    We're doing some biomechanical studies right now to figure out how and where to put the handles - we don't think they have to come up all the way to the seat, but even if they do, they won't be all that tall - the front wing in the production model will sweep up a bit, so it will already be somewhere between 14-16" above the ground (depending on whether the frame is in the short or tall orientation), so the handles won't really need to come up more than a couple or a few inches at most.

We're shooting to make them adjustable for both height and orientation - meaning that they'll adjust up and down, and in and out - this will address both the transfer issues, and will help out the leg splaying issue.

On dealers, like I said, we're not interested in any exclusive deals.

It's always hard to judge a picture, even more so since it's a prototype, but I really don't like the look as seen here. Sorry.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)