Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photos: Icon prototype. Feedback requested.

If you take a close look at the pictures of the prototype, the axle is offset inthe vertical plane to let us get the lowest possible rear seat to floor height. At 14.5 " rear seat to floor height there will be limitations with regard to the suspension because of "bottoming out" on the axle issues.

Nice. First thing I'll do is take off those bars holding the back and bend a new bar made from one tube that bends out a little further at the bottom then turning up closer to the center so at the top they can bend again coming together in a single loop. Like the top of some dollies. Then I'll switch those brackets on the back left for right so they connect closer to center to the new bar. The loop part of the bar at the top will be for pulling me up stairs.
    Looks great! I'll take two.
    Please offer a variety of back tubes.

What I mean is that I'd like the back tubes to come up a little further back and tighter together right where the bracket attaches to the back. Re-design a simpler, lighter, smaller bracket.
    That way the tube tops and brackets are out of the way of the latissimus dorsi if you bend around back to the side to reach while picking something up.
    And then put handles on top or carry the tube around to loop at the back up top.
    I'll try to annotate the pic but I don't know how yet.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    like a high rigidizer bar across the back? sounds like maybe just folding push handles would work just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAdams View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    what will be the lowest rear seat to floor height available with the icon? will it be available with 14 1/2 RSTF and 17 FSTF?
    I've bugged these guys about low rear STF heights on the Icon, as the Marvel didn't get quite low enough without ramming the shock into the frame.

From everything I've heard/seen, it'll hit those specs easily. The frame has some trick design characteristics.
    If you take a close look at the pictures of the prototype, the axle is offset inthe vertical plane to let us get the lowest possible rear seat to floor height. At 14.5 " rear seat to floor height there will be limitations with regard to the suspension because of "bottoming out" on the axle issues.
    The Icon will have suspension as an option, from what I understand. For those of us who use low rear STFs, suspension may not be realistic due to the lack of available travel when the seat is set close to the frame.

Jeff - correct?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteShick View Post
    What I mean is that I'd like the back tubes to come up a little further back and tighter together right where the bracket attaches to the back. Re-design a simpler, lighter, smaller bracket.
    That way the tube tops and brackets are out of the way of the latissimus dorsi if you bend around back to the side to reach while picking something up.
    I think the idea is to make this chair compatible with most aftermarket backrest options.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    The Icon will have suspension as an option, from what I understand. For those of us who use low rear STFs, suspension may not be realistic due to the lack of available travel when the seat is set close to the frame.

Jeff - correct?
    that would be cool, i don't really want suspension

The ADI back in the photo is the adjustable version - the fixed in space version has smaller hardware/bracketry.

@jschism - if you can hit that backrest hardware with your latissimus dorsi, you should be in bodybuilding competitions...and I'm officially jealous....

The idea is to make the Icon as compatible as possible with as many aftermarket pieces and parts as possible - backs are probably our highest priority, but wheels (front and back), cushions (making sure that the RIDE cushions have enough side support etc), bolt-on pushandles....

Our suspension will have a lock out, but we'll also be offering a "hardtail" verson for those of you who refuse to see the light of the benefits of suspension (kidding - we're working hard to keep our "who the hell are we to decide what you want/need" alive - eg. we want you to tell us what you want and need, not the other way around).

@-scott-: the suspension travel is exactly the issue - so if you sit 1" above the axle, you have to either have just under an inch of travel (which to be honest is probably more than enough to help reduce fatigue and will be enough for most daily activities except going off curbs), or a "hardtail".

The problem with bottoming out is damage to the seat adjustment parts or to the axle, so you're right, there will just be limited or no suspension option.

Thanks Jeff. I've not seen brackets like those. And it's the ROHO back bracket on my ZR tube that cut into my Lats when I reached to the floor bending to the side and back a bit pressing into the cushion. The fact that those on the Icon are adjustable explains a lot. Looking closer at the 360 of the Icon I see how easily I'll be able to adjust the back tubes where they attach at the bottom for width. Cool.
    So when and how can we order chairs? I'm psyched. Autumn delivery? And will you allow for purchasing direct so an owner can set it up and adjust it for themselves if they needn't help? The Marvel dealer in my region was worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAdams View Post
    @jschism - if you can hit that backrest hardware with your latissimus dorsi, you should be in bodybuilding competitions...and I'm officially jealous....
    i think you meant Pete