Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Real-World

Real-World

Last Monday I demoed Invacare model TDX 3. This power chair looked significantly bigger compared to my Quickie P200. Also, I don't think I like the mid-wheel drive (6 tires) even though this chair can turn on a dime. The PT is highly recommending this chair. This Friday I will be demoing the Rhythm and Groove according to the PT. I do not need a chair that has a power source for tilting back. I like the way the Quickie P222 SE looks along with the rear wheel drive. Reminds me of my current chair. Looking at the Sunrise website, I see the Groove power chair. Is the Groove power chair similar to the Quickie P200 line of chairs?

Real-world experience is needed because I have had this chair for over 10 years.

Invacare TDX

Quickie Rhythm

Quickie Groove

Quickie P-222 SE

Last edited by PN; 10-24-2007 at 10:04 PM.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

The Rhythm is midwheel drive, the Groove can be either front or rear wheel drive. They talk about the Rhythm and Groove together because these are the powerchairs with Delphi electronics. The rearwheel Groove R4 is very long and difficult to maneuver. I have not been impressed with either. The P22SE is much closer to your P200 and should feel pretty familiar. They killed the P200 this week and the P220/P222SE may not be available for too much longer. So try to expedite the process if you decide to get one.

SCI OTR,

Thanks for the prompt reply because I am demoing two more chairs tomorrow. I did not like the way Invacare TDX 3 looked or handled when I was driving it up my street. It seemed a little over-responsive or sensitive, but I think adjustments could be made to rectify this issue. Also I did not think this chair was very comfortable. My guess, from viewing my Quickie P 200, is that it may be 50 to 100 pounds lighter. I just want a power chair that doesn't look like a large wheel chair, if that makes sense. According to your comments, it doesn't sound like the rear wheel Groove R4 is going to be my cup of tea because it is difficult to maneuver. I was trying to stay away from the mid-wheel drive wheel chair. The PT never mentioned the Quickie P222SE, perhaps because, as you point out, this chair will be off the market shortly. Therefore, I am thinking that getting replacement parts for the P222SE may be difficult in a few years or sooner. As I stated before, I have had my current chair for over 10 years.

Some additional information: I live in a hilly area of southern California and, at times, my chair has bottomed out when going up or down a curb. For the most part, this has not been a big deal and the chair has been very stable with regards to the tipping issue.

Another issue is the 6 wheels because I do have a hallway with new carpeting and this will leave permanent tire tracks over time.

While spending time talking with my PT, he seems to think that the mid-wheel power chairs are more revolutionary because of the maneuverability than the rear wheel drive chairs.

I have a feeling that I am not going to like the two power chairs that I will be demoing tomorrow.

What is your take on these mid-wheel drive power chairs? Which chairs do you recommend? Would I be better off getting the Quickie P222SE even though it will be discontinued? Is there a problem with the Quickie P222SE?

I am not at the point of no return yet. I do not want to be stuck with a chair for the next 5 or 10 years that I loathe.

TIA!
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Addendum:

I think I need to remove the Frog Legs and put on the original front casters that came with the chair. I did a Google search but I am not coming up with any hits on how to correctly remove the Frog Legs.
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    What is your take on these mid-wheel drive power chairs? Which chairs do you recommend?
    The majority of powerchairs I recommend are either midwheel drive (Invacare TDX or Quantum 600/6000) or front wheel drive (i.e. Permobil C300, C400, C500). The primary reason is improved close quarters maneuverability.

The standard turning speed/turning acceleration settings on the TDX series tend to be a little excessive and they will indeed handle much better after those parameters are reprogrammed.

The Invacare TDX SP has a better suspension for a midwheel platform than the TDX3. Invacare redesigned the suspension so the front casters not only have 3" of upward travel (as does the TDX3), they also have 3" of downward travel.

Rearwheel drive chairs are somewhat better on more irregular terrain and most will negotiate higher curbs without bottoming. Becuase their axis of rotation is toward the back of the chair, they require more space to turn. If you have been able to live with the turning radius of your P200, however, you would be at home in a P220 or P222 SE.

I frequently go with Permobils when I need the positioning capabilities of their Corpus seating. Permobil displayed it's new rearwheel drive C350 at Medtrade. I happened to get some more seat time in one yesterday, and am impressed with this chair. It is slightly less maneuverable than a frontwheel drive C300, but would be nice for someone who does not like the characteristics of frontwheel drive or wants better handling outdoors.

There is the C350 Corpus.

and the C350 PS...

I imagine I will be spec'ing out a number of C350 Corpus powerchairs (Note the center mount legrests). They will be scarce through the end of the year, however.

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    Would I be better off getting the Quickie P222SE even though it will be discontinued? Is there a problem with the Quickie P222SE?
    We recently discussed the pro's & con's of the P222 SE and parts in leschinsky's post. These chairs have been around for awhile and they are based on P&G Pilot+ series electronics (although Quickie repackages them under the Qtronix name). I believe Quickie is in the process of phasing out their older models because their production costs are relatively high and they don't fit well into Medicare's reimbursement scheme.

Good luck tomorrrow.

I have a Quantum 6000 and it took a little while to get use to the center drive, but now that I have it is quite amazing to see what little space I can turn around in. The difficulty I had was getting use to going backward up my Entervan's ramp without the back end "fish tailing" because it swivels. Now I can do it with my eyes practically closed, but the first couple of weeks I had to do a lot of practicing because it was a little scary to think of going up and over the raised lip of the ramp.

According to the Sunrise Rep and the PT today, the probability of getting Medicare to pay for the P220 or P222 SE is very low. Also, they were concerned that if the chair got denied from Medicare, I would be stuck with the bill. What is also interesting is that both chairs cost about the same amount of money.

I demoed the Rhythm inside my home and outside without any problems. The process took a little over two hours. At this point in time it looks like I will be getting the Rhythm power chair but I think I would have preferred the Quickie.

SCI OTR, thanks for your help!
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR
    The Rhythm is midwheel drive, the Groove can be either front or rear wheel drive. They talk about the Rhythm and Groove together because these are the powerchairs with Delphi electronics. The rearwheel Groove R4 is very long and difficult to maneuver. I have not been impressed with either. The P22SE is much closer to your P200 and should feel pretty familiar. They killed the P200 this week and the P220/P222SE may not be available for too much longer. So try to expedite the process if you decide to get one.
    Hello, SCI OTR.

As you state, I am not able to get the Quickie P220 or P222SE because I am told that it may not be covered by Medicare. I am not sure why Nicole may still be able to get the Quickie wheelchair.

I have demoed and selected the Rhythm. I am not at the point of no return, but you clearly have a negative impression of these two chairs. Can you elaborate more about why you are not impressed with either? If I select this chair and the paperwork goes through, I may be stuck for the next five to ten years.

I have selected the center mount footrests but I did not try them. The Sunrise rep said that the center mount is very similar to what I'm already using, which is the Quickie P200. I am told that the center mounts are permanent and cannot be replaced by chair legs. I have an incomplete injury so I'm constantly in and out of the chair during the day. I do have a real comfort issue with the Quickie P200 and after two hours of sitting I am in a lot of pain. I will be getting a short backrest for the chair, whereas with the Quickie P200 I used the sling. I have selected a cushion from the Comfort Company that worked for me in the past. Currently, I am sitting on a Jay2 with the gel. I do not want a high back for my wheelchair. Also I don't think I need a chair that reclines.

I am concerned that I may make a bad decision on this chair. I would also like to know what are your top three or four picks in power chairs.

Thanks.

PN
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR
    The majority of powerchairs I recommend are either midwheel drive (Invacare TDX or Quantum 600/6000) or front wheel drive (i.e. Permobil C300, C400, C500). The primary reason is improved close quarters maneuverability.
    Unfortunately the medical supply company I am going through does not have a contract with Permobil. The PT does like their chairs and I do too I think.

Thanks
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

PN, my brothers chair is >7 years old and starting to have issues and it is scarey pick one and hope it works well. I hope you get satisfaction. The permabil looks great for Jim and will definitely try for a demo from them. He is used to the rear wheel and they look pretty nice. If you called Permobil directly maybe they could arrange a demo and arrange with your dealer to facilitate your needs. I think Pride motors are also coming out with a new rear-wheel in 2008, almost like the Blast.

OT guy, it is sooo helpful to have your input and expertise, thank you. Deb