Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bloating

Bloating

Ok I am C4-5 injury and I am very thin but looks like I have a pot belly. Is it from to much sodium in my diet? I take a stool softener Docusate Sodium 300mg at nights and do eat food with sodium so should I decrease the sodium?

No, it is not diet, and it is not "bloating" (gas). It is also unlikely to be fat unless you have put on a lot of weight since your injury.

This is commonly referred to as "quad belly". It occurs often in those who have paralysis of their abdominal muscles. The weight of your abdominal organs, esp. in a seated position, gradually can stretch out the abdominal wall. Prevention is best, with the use of an abdominal binder whenever out of bed to support the abdominal wall and prevent the overstetching. An abdominal binder will not fix this once it has occurred, but can be used to control it a bit so you look nicer if that is a concern.

(KLD)

Can stimming your abs or muscle return reduce the quad gut in incomp injuries or is the ab wall permanently stretched out? What I'm wondering is, even w/ toned abs is the wall made of skin etc that can't be shrunk down again.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Thanks SCI nurse for the info.

bumping my question...
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Charmed..I have the same problem..but it really changes dramatically based on "gas" or swelling..since it is harder for us to get gas out--ie. not walking, exercising, (though swimming will help!! ) or no muscle tone to hold it in..I just found I need to use a "crutch" mine is gas x..every meal..and no dairy or wheat. for me as I am sensitive..just that change made big diff.

and far as stimming I read one of the guys said it doesnt get to the deeper muscles and therefore didn't help really??
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    Can stimming your abs or muscle return reduce the quad gut in incomp injuries or is the ab wall permanently stretched out? What I'm wondering is, even w/ toned abs is the wall made of skin etc that can't be shrunk down again.
    Some people here have tried this (check out posts on the Exercise & Recovery forum), with mixed results. Keep in mind that you are unlikely to get E-stim to work if you have a lower motor neuron injury for your abdominal muscles (T7-T12). It may help if your injury is higher, but of course it is critical that both electrode placement and settings on the e-stim unit are proper to both produce the muscle contractions needed and avoid burns or stimulation of the internal organs.

(KLD)

This stuff is what scares me to ever have kids......Won't the skin be stretched out from the baby that afterwards you would still look preggo??
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Quote Originally Posted by gurly2356 View Post
    This stuff is what scares me to ever have kids......Won't the skin be stretched out from the baby that afterwards you would still look preggo??
    Yes, that is a risk for women with abdominal muscle paralysis having children. If you have a lot of abdominal muscle spasticity though, this may actually help tighten things up a bit after delivery.

(KLD)

no gurly..I mean yes you will look bigger-but if you keep weight same.you shuld be still hot! -but if you wear a binder-(not during pregnancy lol)-it really helps to keep it from getting too streched out..I had two and eventually I had the diastatis repaired--Ie the muscles which had pulled part by the pregnancy--and time ) pulled back together..) but I do believe a binder is key for us..cant let that thing get out of control
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda