Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Member

showing

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    This is something I worry about quite a bit. My daughter was 4 when I got injured and now is almost 6. I worry about the other kids making fun of her because I am in a wheelchair, worry that I can't teach her sports like I would have if I was AB (I did play with her on a T-ball setup this weekend and it went pretty well), worry about pretty much everything. Any advice for a para parent?
    T8, in reading your post you have already shown the compassion of love you feel for your daughter. Do you know how many AB Dad just show up for activities or drop there kids off and do not participate. I think the fact that you in a chair does not have to mean you can't do this with her, with a little imagination you can do alot. Get a laundry basket and teach her to throw the ball in there I did that will my little league girls and it teaches them how hard or soft they need to throw, get her a little outside childrens BB hoop and u can show her how to play and chase her around in your chair. Heck, just throwing a rubber ball to each other can be fun, and she can chase the ball for you. A loving Father speaks volumes to her and others and she will be so proud her Daddy does things with her. I think once her friends see the fun loving Dad they won't notice the wheel chair for long, when people stare at me I smile back they don't know me, but I will take the time to share if they have it. I am taking my little 3 year old grandaughter to the movies Sat to see UP it is all about her and I can bring joy to both of us.

I have 12 grandkids so if you need any more ideas just ask me. It's te joy of what you give her, the smiles, the hugs, and the time you spend with her she will remember.

You have already begun, don't let the worry get you down, you are a bright star in her future..Make every day count even reading a book is nice or hey how are you at Barbies?? LOL
    JeAnNE L1Burst Fracture inc. 11/5/10

Live Well--Laugh often

welcome.

This is something I worry about quite a bit. My daughter was 4 when I got injured and now is almost 6. I worry about the other kids making fun of her because I am in a wheelchair, worry that I can't teach her sports like I would have if I was AB (I did play with her on a T-ball setup this weekend and it went pretty well), worry about pretty much everything. Any advice for a para parent?
    My daughter was 6 months old when I was injured. She is now 23. I can tell you that we practiced fast pitch in her early years. It was darn near suicidal to practice when she got really good. LOL We swam. We picnic(ed). We did everything inspite of the disability.

My daughter remembers my master of science (kidding of course) in ingenuity most of all. We could rig just about anything and make it work for us.

Your worries are justified but your daughter will remember what a great dad you are not the chair.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Welcome to the forum Ken

If you can't find an answer to a question...just ask.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Welcome!!!

Welcome. Sorry your dad has been so ill. SCI is such a taker but never really a giver.

T8 - Chad is a C4/5 but a "complete" (ASIA A) injury so he can only shoulder shrug and turn his head. My son ("medium boy") had just turned 3 when I met Chad, and he is now 10. Medium Boy, to my knowledge, hasn't been teased about Chad being in a wheelchair. Chad participates in his school functions and such, and having gone to the same school with the same classmates since kindergarten, all the other kids are totally used to Chad and barely give him a second glance now.

Chad worries alot about not being able to coach him in sports, but Medium Boy totally ignores his disability and regularly gets coached by Chad in football, soccer and basketball. Chad just verbally tells him what to do, or improvements and Medium Boy takes it 100% in stride. It has made Medium Boy a better listener and a better learner because he can't just mimic, he really has to *learn*. It was HILARIOUS watching Chad try to teach him to throw a football for the first time though .... "ummm, wellll, put your hand around the ball ... no, not that way, on the strings, no, your fingers not thumb, no the other way, now try to twist it ... no, WHILE you throw it, no ... ummmm" LMAO!

Medium Boy adapts to Chad much more easily than all the rest of us. He even wrote with a marker on the checkers pieces and the board so that Chad can say "move #4 to square 17". That was totally his idea and he just did it! They play legos together too, Chad just verbally tells him what to build and he does it for him.

I'm sure in the future that Medium Boy will catch some hell for having a stepdad who is disabled, and esp to the extent that he is. But for 7 years it's been a remarkably easy ride.

T8, just read a newspaper piece regarding a soldier SCI injured (non combat) who has two boys ages 6 and 8 years. He acknowledges he cannnot do athletics with them, but has concentrated on their academics. Both boys are straight A students, and play sports as well.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now