Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a parent as a para

a parent as a para

how many para parents are out there? How tough was or is it? We were thinking baby when we got married, started baby sitting our new niece and it is hard for me to do much now wife not sure she want to go through having a baby and having to do most of the work....is it really like that when being a para it is hard to help do all aspects of taking care of a baby??

As a fellow para and the father of a 5 year old I think your wife's assumption she "would do most of the work" (post birth) is going to depend more on how much you want to do not how much you can do. You can change diapers, make and feed a bottle to your kid, pretty much anything a walker can do. Don't judge your experience baby sitting as a good predictor of having your own crotch fruit. If its your kid that you have to carry from the living room to the bedroom and put in the crib, you will find a way.

If you start out handling your baby you will adapt as he/she grows. I think you are probably a bit fearful of doing something wrong with another person's baby and hesitant to do as much as you actually can.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by flicka View Post
    If you start out handling your baby you will adapt as he/she grows. I think you are probably a bit fearful of doing something wrong with another person's baby and hesitant to do as much as you actually can.
    Yup, totally. I'm a quad and can do it all alone if I try.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

i'm not a parent but i am an older sister. i fed, diaper changed, bathed, clothed, burped, etc all three of my lil bros and i am an incomplete quad. it can be done!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

I have three children but was walking when the children were small. The big trouble was I couldn't lift them or run after them or carry them. But I think everybody find their way. I was changing diapers on the floor and they had to learn quickly not to run away from me. I was living on the fourth floor and it was a mess every time I had been in the shop and had to get up two children and my groceries. Happily I had a lift when my small one was baby, I could take the wagon with me.
    TH 12, 43 years post

T-9 complete single father to a 5 and 9 year old. I do fine with no assistance from anyone...

L5-S1 ces 3yr. old daughter i do worry, i cant catch her. i dont want her to see the pain. she seems to be adapting well to the new situation. we are learning together. she makes me feel young and has me cracking up all day. i'm tired at the end of the day, but who's not. well worth it.

T4 complete, raising my two daughters. Four months and five years old they are. No real issues!
    Andrew