Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Member

Hey everyone... just joined. Found this website almost by accident, however became engrossed in reading it. Reason for joining - father has a spinal cord injury (th9 - ish) back in 1986. I was 13 going on 14 when it happened. He has since spent most of the past 25 years in and out of hospitals with other health issues. He has round the clock care and I live only a few blocks away... however, now that he's in his early 80's and health is naturally declining I end up worrying a lot more about him. He's tough as nails (my fiance and I joke around that he'll out live all of us), but getting frail... so I thought this might be a great resource for me to read up more on his health issues. Keep an eye out for information that might help... and who knows maybe get some advice if a problem should arise (or I think one may be pending...).

From all that as an intro, that's why I decided to post here in the family section.

Thanks,

Ken

Hi Ken, and welcome to the forum. I agree that CareCure could be quite helpful in your family situation, and I hope that your father will continue to do well overall.

Hi Ken,
    It's a great resource. I am T-10 since 94 and have learned more here than from any DR I've seen in 17 years. Welcome to the forum.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Welcome, Ken. Feel free to ask/read away. This site has several folks who are ''old-timers'' and have great advice and wisdom about ageing with a spinal cord injury.

Welcome Ken, I trust any question you ask, someone here has gone thru the same challenge and will be of benefit.

Thanks For The Welcome...

Thanks to all the well wishers... already learning quite a bit just by reading through...

I did notice there are some people in this forum with some form of SCI and thinking of having family... If you ever want my two cents for what it's worth I'm a child who's grown up in a house with just such a situation, so you're welcome to post or email me with any questions you may have...

Ever wondered what the eventual outcome of growing up in an SCI household was... we were very patient with our father but also always encouraged him to do for himself... likewise that rubbed of on us... my sister and I are both stubbornly independent...

So maybe I can also help by encouraging those who are thinking of having their own family...

Thanks,

Ken

Yeah welcome Ken, glad you are taking more time to try to understand your father's injury.
    Last edited by quadvet; 04-13-2011 at 08:42 AM.

Hello Ken,
    Welcome to the Care Cure Community.
    You may be interested in this thread:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=134950 (in search of the oldest quad/para)
    I hope your father continues to be well.

All the best,
    GJ

Welcome Ken, you sound like a caring son. On this site there are wonderful care givers here and plenty of us with disabilities.

Your Dad must be proud of you, just love on him, that means alot.
    JeAnNE L1Burst Fracture inc. 11/5/10

Live Well--Laugh often

Quote Originally Posted by kenfie View Post
    Ever wondered what the eventual outcome of growing up in an SCI household was... we were very patient with our father but also always encouraged him to do for himself... likewise that rubbed of on us... my sister and I are both stubbornly independent...
    This is something I worry about quite a bit. My daughter was 4 when I got injured and now is almost 6. I worry about the other kids making fun of her because I am in a wheelchair, worry that I can't teach her sports like I would have if I was AB (I did play with her on a T-ball setup this weekend and it went pretty well), worry about pretty much everything. Any advice for a para parent?