Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solid Back Tall. Help Me Choose? :)

Solid Back Tall. Help Me Choose? :)

I'm in need of a tall solid back before I flip backwards in my seat.

At the moment, I'm using the ZRA S1 upholstery. It's maxed out in height adjustment and and it's sitting at least six inches below my scapula. Also, being 6'4" tall and C5, the lateral support it's providing isn't sufficient for my needs. It's difficult to push when I'm forced to focus on my stability.

I'm not concerned with looks, it has to function. I could care less if someone thinks it's ugly. Those types of opinions aren't important to me.

So, if any of you have experience with these backs or have a suggestion on another you know of, please help a brother out.

Oh, also, my chair is 18" wide and I'm looking for a back that is about 20" tall.

Here are a few I've found...

Varilite Icon Tall

Varilite Deep

Invacare Matrx Elite Deep

Most important to me is lateral support and 20" tall.

Thank you!

I'm going to be trying out the new Matrx Elite back that just came out. I hear it's pretty good and comes in various heights. I may be putting a lateral on the right side for better support and hear the back is very adjustable for that.

man wowsa. let me look around. have u thought about lowering frt/rr seat heights to get down in chair more? that would require alot less back.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Do you have the tension adjustable via strap upholstery? If so, consider loosening the straps some allowing yourself to sit between the posts a bit for stability.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I'm going to be trying out the new Matrx Elite back that just came out. I hear it's pretty good and comes in various heights. I may be putting a lateral on the right side for better support and hear the back is very adjustable for that.
    Let me know how you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    man wowsa. let me look around. have u thought about lowering frt/rr seat heights to get down in chair more? that would require alot less back.
    Yes, the way it sits now is decent. I could probably go one more inch lower in the back and that would equal about 5 1/2 inches of dump. I already have the casters on the lowest notch to bring the front end up for footplate clearance. But honestly, it's now just the back I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    Do you have the tension adjustable via strap upholstery? If so, consider loosening the straps some allowing yourself to sit between the posts a bit for stability.
    Yeah, I ordered the chair with adjustable by strap but it came with velcro. I have them loosened off completely and with my weight on it, the straps are basically just flopping around. The velcro straps do nothing. And the uphostery doesn't allow me to sink between the posts as it won't stretch any more.

Will do NQ

I have a low, non-adjustable Jetstream Pro mounted at 8-9" on my Crossfire. It's a 10" tall back. The top of it is around 16" from the seat upholstery.

It shouldn't be hard to hit 20" with a bigger shell, depending where the mounts are.

I had a Jetstream also Scott. One of the drawbacks is that you can't put a lateral like he wants on it. Course a person could probably mount it on the back post. I'm looking at the Matrx Elite also due to it's deeper configuration and endless adjustment for a lateral.

Of all the solid backs I've had thru the years, the Jetstream was the best and hope the new Matrx will be up to expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I had a Jetstream also Scott. One of the drawbacks is that you can't put a lateral like he wants on it. Course a person could probably mount it on the back post. I'm looking at the Matrx Elite also due to it's deeper configuration and endless adjustment for a lateral.

Of all the solid backs I've had thru the years, the Jetstream was the best and hope the new Matrx will be up to expectations.
    Hmm. You can on the adjustable ADI version:

http://accessibledesigns.com/lat.html