Thread: Surgical Implants to Regenerate Nerves

Surgical Implants to Regenerate Nerves

Not sure if this has any merit but I thought I would share an article I found this morning.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/prweb8269677.htm

Professor Mark Dallamore and his team have been licenced in Sri Lanka to surgically implant chips to regenerate nerves in patients with spinal cord injuries, enabling them to regain mobility and bodily functions.

Professor Mark Dallamore announced today that he and his team have been licenced in Sri Lanka to perform ground-breaking surgery on patients suffering paralysis due to spinal cord injury. This innovative procedure will insert medical implants to regenerate nerves and enable patients to regain mobility and bodily functions.

The implants have been developed in Japan, based on proven implant technology. The implant system uses the Peripheral Nervous System (PNS) to sense data normally directed to the Central Nervous System (CNS) and transmits it to the appropriate nerves below the damaged area – as the spinal cord injury interrupts the normal working of the CNS. Patents on the implants are pending.

Professor Dallamore said “This is the culmination of all the research undertaken since first achieving nerve regeneration on a paraplegic patient in 2003. We already have several patients in line for the procedure, the first of which is scheduled for the autumn of 2011.”
    http://www.neurosciencenerveregenera...s-Release.html

Will be interesting to see what happens.

Interesting; let's see what happens and if this trial is for real. More and more news comes out of nowhere. I'm still looking at wise's trials to bring on the dinger.

keeping on

The most important and troubling part is why they first achieved, what they call nerve regeneration in a paraplegic in 2003, and now it's 8 years later and they have gotten the go ahead.
    The problem with this article is that there are no details like what kind of nerve regeneration they achieved in 2003?
    I'll try to see if I can get a hold of this doc and ask.
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

Quote Originally Posted by StemCells&AtomBombs View Post
    The most important and troubling part is why they first achieved, what they call nerve regeneration in a paraplegic in 2003, and now it's 8 years later and they have gotten the go ahead.
    8 years to get approval, that doesn't surprise me, that's almost what it took Geron to bring there treatment to trial after they had the first lab animal results.

Yes, eight years, but where is the reporting of the research. The only information that is on the web about this is two press releasesm
    One on the company's own site and the other from PRweb.
    Don't you think that as the possible recipients of such 'therapies' we need a little more info than self promotion?
    People who order pizza these days have more information.
    Dennis Tesolat

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

On first glance it doesnt seem apt to call it "nerve regeneration". Rather, it seems to me like an implant to by-pass the lesion using the PNS. Anyone seen the scientific publication from Mark Dallamore?

The only publication that iKve been able to find is on their website. It's self published with a note that iut was 'as reported' to some World congress in 2009.
    Dennis Tesolat

Martin Luther King

Quote Originally Posted by alpentalic View Post
    http://www.neurosciencenerveregenera...s-Release.html

Will be interesting to see what happens.
    From your link: "During 1992 Professor Dallamore treated a patient at the Mount Sinai Hospital, California, who was paralysed from the waist down. His treatments led to the patient regaining full mobility and to the realisation that nerves can be regenerated."
    ---
    Highly doubtful don't you think? I'm pretty sure we'd all know about this already!

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama