Thread: endurance

endurance

how i can increase my endurance in standing and walking. i am wearing kafo in my left legs. i can not stand more 8 minutes.

....u gotta push past your limits...if at 8 minutes. u feel like thats all you got..go more, 30 seconds, 1 minute whatever...but you have to push past ..dont give up....if everyday u fight to get to 9 minutes standing, u will find that 9th min easier...then go for 10 and so on......ive been through it...it takes mental strength!
    - Rolling Thru Life -

When my leg fracture had healed and I was able to finally stand this past December, I could only manage 30 seconds. I kept pushing the time, 5 seconds more, then 10. Within a few weeks I could stand for 5 minutes. I kept at it. Now, I cook in my kitchen, standing for an hour or more and don't think twice about it.

Same goes for walking. I've gone from chair to walker to crutches and to canes in the past three months. Maybe you can only do a hundred feet at first. Keep pushing that number a bit every day. Every time you have a new walking aid to deal with you start at ground zero again. It can be frustrating, but work your stamina up each time.

Don't give up! My best wishes go with you.

stand with good form. knees not locked, straight back, tucked bum, shoulders back and down and head up

good form is key

stand as long as you can with good form and then do it again... you'll get there bud
    c5/c6 brown sequard asia d

Im trying to build strength again with my trike. but fatigue starts. im not used to the fatigue starting so soon. the more I push the more fatigued I get. Im gearing up for my 14 days at fest in august as a volunteer.

so yes, adding a minute, or in my efforts, trying to get up that hill, just keep at it.
    Its great that you are trying.

It's frustrating for sure. I've employed most of the conventional means of PT, exercise, nutrition, "healing arts", etc. 5 years later, on a good day, I can manipulate my body and stand up out my chair for a few minutes using one hand and a solid surface for stability. Notable improvements have accompanied long droughts of plateau. That said, they do happen and make life easier on the marginal level. Another vote for staying vigilant and trying to add a second or two to your time every day. Who's to say how your nerves are wired or what progress is around the corner?

I wish I had more endurance too. Me walking 50 yards is equivalent to me running wide open 100 yards pre-injury.

I am trying to do more exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    Im trying to build strength again with my trike. but fatigue starts. im not used to the fatigue starting so soon. the more I push the more fatigued I get. Im gearing up for my 14 days at fest in august as a volunteer.

so yes, adding a minute, or in my efforts, trying to get up that hill, just keep at it.
    Its great that you are trying.
    -----
    Last edited by marycsm77; 04-08-2011 at 10:49 AM.