Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another new lumbar injury

Another new lumbar injury

I have L1 and L5 incomplete injuries and am 8 months post my injury date. I also had expectations that I'd set for myself at the beginning, not knowing what I'd encounter. After being in a wheel chair for four-and-a-half months, I've now progressed to two canes and am working on walking with a single cane.

Balance has been a hard road for me. I have good feeling in my legs and some in the soles of my feet, but it took awhile for that to return. Still, although I'm told that my balance is good, I really can't maintain it on my own without some sort of aid. There are balance sensors throughout our hips and legs that can be compromised with our sort of injury. The good thing is that you can be taught to compensate for what's not there. It's not an easy thing to do, but certainly possible.

It's good to have goals for yourself, but I've found that the body heals on it's own time and the goals that I set had to be rethought as I learned how long recovery might take. If you keep this in mind and continue to keep positive, there's nothing wrong with stretching towards a goal.

Just in case, is there some other arrangement that you can make with your employer? ...another type of job you might do until you have your strength and nerve recovery understood?

With an incomplete injury, you have hope of regaining some or maybe most of what you lost. It will take work and time, though.

My best to you!

Welcome Truly, I also posted to you on your princess toes. I think you are doing well, at 4 1/2 mo post for me I thought I would be walking by now and still use the walker around the house I walk alone knowing where things are to balance on, that too is a big issue. Just standing is difficult and you said you were using a cane, that is great.

I think we both can agree this is the hardest thing to endure, but we have to keep going and get out strength back.

I to am L1 so if you have any questions please ask. I even had a blood clot hit my lung and had another surgery for that, I believe I still have a purpose so if I keep telling my story maybe I can help someone. I believe I can survive and you will to.

Keep up the good work, my Dr said it coud take at least a year or maybe a little longer for me and you are ahead of me yeahhh for you sister take care.
    JeAnNE L1Burst Fracture inc. 11/5/10

Live Well--Laugh often

Awesome stuff Truly - I`m an L1 incomplete myself - injured on the 4 July 2008! I`m down to 1 crutch but use 2 crutches for long distances - Balance is also a problem for me but I can feel I have improved 0ver the last year or so. I have just had a stem cell infusion of adult stem cells into my spine so will le you know how that works out. Keep working out and believe - stay frosty Carl

Dear Carl Barnardo plz keep us updated about ur progress after stem cell therapy.

Can you tell when and how much adult stem cells you got and from where?

Did you get stem cells through surgery or injections only?

Have you feelings of bladder bowel and sexual function before stem cell therapy or not?

I am 30 and L1 too so will be glad if u recover.

Jawaid

Yeah, Jeapow, I thought I'd be walking within two weeks of leaving the chair. What a surprise I had! Once I understood the reality it was easier to accept and move on.

Keep working your stamina with the walker. Are you going to physical therapy? They can help tremendously in the progression to other walking aids. I don't really know how I'd have made the switches without their advice.

So much of what us lumbar folks deal with is loss of strengh because of being laid up so long, in addition to the nerve problems. You may not have control over how your nerves heal, but you can certainly make progress with increasing your strength. That's a big chunk of the battle.

Keep at it and you'll succeed!

Quote Originally Posted by truly View Post
    Yeah, Jeapow, I thought I'd be walking within two weeks of leaving the chair. What a surprise I had! Once I understood the reality it was easier to accept and move on.

Keep working your stamina with the walker. Are you going to physical therapy? They can help tremendously in the progression to other walking aids. I don't really know how I'd have made the switches without their advice.

So much of what us lumbar folks deal with is loss of strengh because of being laid up so long, in addition to the nerve problems. You may not have control over how your nerves heal, but you can certainly make progress with increasing your strength. That's a big chunk of the battle.

Keep at it and you'll succeed!
    I kept asking the nurses in rehab when I could walk and they said soon, right soon to them and soon to me was different!! I was in a brace that looked just like a turtle shell for 3 mo's so I thought as soon as I can get that off I can walk . Now I do not have to wear any brace (happy). I did not have much strength at all, no I am not in phs therapy now, I go to the pool and work out there. I also have bike here to exercise on. I do not have walking aids just my walker. I tried to use a cane, but I am to unsteady, I do not have good balance. I am on gabapentin for nerve pain, coumaden for blood clot, sleeping aid, anti depressant, and stuff for bowel routine uggg. I am very thankful to be alive though and will keep on fighting to walk and be as pain free as I can.

It is interesting to know about L1 injuries from all who post on here.
    I did not know they were doing any stem cell implants that is encouraging news.
    You also keep up the hard work I will be thinking of you.
    JeAnNE L1Burst Fracture inc. 11/5/10

Live Well--Laugh often

Just waiting ur reply Bernardo.

Plz give some details about ur stem cell therapy which u have gone through dear.

Hi Jawaid - my apologies,
    I had the stem cell infusion on the 14th March so exactly 1 month - You question re. bowel and bladder - I did have the use of both but with many problems - what has happened since the procedure is that I have had bowel movements almost every day unlike before where it was every 4 days. I have`nt stopped taking my fibre supplements - bladder was never really a problem for me. I have been documenting everything in a diary that I will edit and post after 3 months. Sorry for the delay. Stay frosty

Its ok Carl so it means u have no changes after month.

Which stem cells you were injected and where did u get this therapy? What doctors say about ur recovery? Do they say you will recover bladder bowel and sexual function?

Best of luck dear

I had adult stem cells injected - It can take up to 6 months so 1 month is maybe early to start expecting results although it is not impossible. Stem cells therapy is still very new and differs from person to person so doctors are very reluctant to promise anything. I had this therapy done in South Africa by my neuro-surgen and paid a fraction of what is being charged by Xcell for the exact same procedure - I had this therapy done with the knowledge that it may not work at all - Thats just how it is - if it does, wonderful and if not so be it but you never know........I believe I will see some good results.