Thread: Shoulder Pain

Shoulder Pain

As many of you know, I have a bad shoulder, but have yet to recieve a diagnosis. I will be seeing my Orthopedic Surgeon tomorrow and my OT will be there as well to assist with assesment/ demonstrate his concerns. He has also been trying to arrange for me to see a Physiatirst (sp?) and will be asking him to do an EMG as I am having nerve and muscle pain. Anyways, I'm just super frustrated/upset.

These last few weeks have been bad. Really bad. The good days are becoming fewer and fewer and really far between. You see, I tried for a long time to hide how bad the pain was, I tried really hard and I just can't anymore. I need people to understand how bad the pain is so they can understand how badly I need something done about it, but people can't understand and think I am just complaining. They don't understand that I am as tired of talking about it as they are of hearing about it.

I have become extremely tired due to not sleeping at night and just the plain and simple fact that being in pain all the time is exhausting. I can't function at school because I'm so tired, I run on coffee just to stay awake and then come home and crash and end up not doing my homework. I'm snappy at people because of the pain and exhaustion and little things that I would let roll of my back make me lose my head.

I can handle whatever it is, but I need answers. If it's more PT, fine. If it's more OT, fine. If it's Botox, fine. If it's powe chair, fine. If it's anti-inflammitories, fine. If it's surgery, fine. The only thing I will not be fine with is her giving me some pain medication and saying "see you later." because pain medication is a mask, a bandaid.

Thoughts?

p.s. Thank you to every single one of you who reads when I need to vent.

WG

Wheeliegirl, sorry about your shoulder problems, i understand as I am currently having excruciating pain of my left shoulder. I just wrote about it yesterday, i think it was or the day before, i'm so tired from not sleeping due to the pain. I cant remember. Some nice folks commented on it. Just to give you an idea of mine and other people's shoulder problems. I know this forum is loaded with threads about shoulders. Anyway here is it. It is in care:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=152102

Quote Originally Posted by marycsm77 View Post
    Wheeliegirl, sorry about your shoulder problems, i understand as I am currently having excruciating pain of my left shoulder. I just wrote about it yesterday, i think it was or the day before, i'm so tired from not sleeping due to the pain. I cant remember. Some nice folks commented on it. Just to give you an idea of mine and other people's shoulder problems. I know this forum is loaded with threads about shoulders. Anyway here is it. It is in care:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=152102

I saw that Mary, thank you! I hope your shoulder gets better very soon

WG

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliegirl2010 View Post
    As many of you know, I have a bad shoulder, but have yet to recieve a diagnosis. I will be seeing my Orthopedic Surgeon tomorrow and my OT will be there as well to assist with assesment/ demonstrate his concerns. He has also been trying to arrange for me to see a Physiatirst (sp?) and will be asking him to do an EMG as I am having nerve and muscle pain. Anyways, I'm just super frustrated/upset.

These last few weeks have been bad. Really bad. The good days are becoming fewer and fewer and really far between. You see, I tried for a long time to hide how bad the pain was, I tried really hard and I just can't anymore. I need people to understand how bad the pain is so they can understand how badly I need something done about it, but people can't understand and think I am just complaining. They don't understand that I am as tired of talking about it as they are of hearing about it.

I have become extremely tired due to not sleeping at night and just the plain and simple fact that being in pain all the time is exhausting. I can't function at school because I'm so tired, I run on coffee just to stay awake and then come home and crash and end up not doing my homework. I'm snappy at people because of the pain and exhaustion and little things that I would let roll of my back make me lose my head.

I can handle whatever it is, but I need answers. If it's more PT, fine. If it's more OT, fine. If it's Botox, fine. If it's powe chair, fine. If it's anti-inflammitories, fine. If it's surgery, fine. The only thing I will not be fine with is her giving me some pain medication and saying "see you later." because pain medication is a mask, a bandaid.

Thoughts?

p.s. Thank you to every single one of you who reads when I need to vent.

WG
    wheeliegirl, I'm feeling the same way these days. I started going to PT over two years ago because of some shoulder pain, and although it got better, it moved to my hip. Now I have pain in my hip, both shoulders, and both knees, as well as my back. I know of a person who could help me feel better, she practices a really specific kind of body work, but she's booked until late June. I want to be the type of patient who can help themselves at home, but I'm at a loss for what I can do for myself at this point. I need someone to tell me what to do. I'm sorry you're going through this. I've been having a lot of days where I want to quit both school and work and just stay home where I can at least lay down. That's not like me at all, and I don't think that's like you either. I wish I had better advice.

Does anyone in your area do Hellerwork? http://www.hellerwork.com/

I'm having (on a scale of 1-10) 7-8 shoulder pain all day everyday. I recently had a PET scan to check things out 5 years in remission from non-Hodgkins lymphoma. I have avascular necrosis (AVN) in both hips (that has shown up before), but now AVN is showing up in my right shoulder. Twenty eight years ago, after my injury, I was on Decadron (heavy duty steroid) for about a year (now known as a contributor to AVN). I will be scheduling an appointment with an orthopaedist soon. It will be interesting to see what he says. I really don't think (from what I have read) that surgery is viable. I take warfarin/coumadin, so anti inflammatory drugs are not easy to use. I don't know what options I have. Too be seen.

Hope you find some answers.

All the best,
    GJ

Thank you both for the advice.

JGrant, I have never even HEARD of Hellerwork haha. I hope your pain can be taken care of soon!

GJ, sorry to hear of your troubles. I don't think surgery is a very viable option for very many people with shoulder problems because surgery is not usually successful.

My orthopedic surgeon thinks I may have a small rotator cuff tear and if that's the case. I will be put back into Physio (yuck...). She thinks it might also be that ther is not enough space between the bones; one xray showed that. If that's the case, I will be seeing a Scope Surgeon. I go for an MRI a week from tomorrow and I'm a tad scared about that...

EMG showed no nerve damage. Got the MRI results today. OT looked up the report. I have partial thickness tears in both rotator cuffs as well as a 4mm cyst on the right shoulder. The cyst looks benign (sp?) but, it could be where it is located that is causing all the pain. Because of the tear, cyst, and all the pain/ functional problems it's causing that may or may not mean surgery. How is your shoulder, Mary?

WG

Glad you got the results back so that you can know where the damage actually is. I wonder if the cyst can be drained...they usually fill up again, but draining it might at least let you know if that is the major cause of your pain.