Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: T12 - Incomplete . NEWBEE

First Night Home

Last night my was my brothers first night at home. It was scary for him to leave Rehab after 7 weeks but he's so glad to be around all of his family. He's still having nerve pain in his legs and it's moving into his feet. It seems like after his wife stretches his legs it gets worse. Is this normal? I hope he gets rid of the pain soon.

Also, he won't be doing the extensive Rehab he's been doing for a couple days but he'll be back at it on Monday. I'm scared the next Rehab place he's going to isn't going to push him as far. What should he be doing for Rehab at 2 moths post? He's moved his legs very little on his side and has some burning sensation down to his feet. He has great hip movement and good balance too. They stood him up on the parrelell bars about twice a week. We're hoping with time it'll be better.

I think he should be doing range of motion every day. It would be wonderful if he could work out with some free weights and use an FES bike a few times a week. He should continue the standing, also. It would be nice if he could do that daily.

The pain he is experiencing is normal. It varies in every individual.
    Incomplete T-12/L-1

He should be going to out patient teraphy where he will be push especially if there is signs of recovering. The leg pain its painful but its part of it and its nothing that cant be done. There is medication and they will offer them to him for the pain. My expirence they dont work and after awhile one get use to the pain. I been paralyze 4 years and my advice is do not overwelhm family with the stretching. The most important things that are basic I had to learn for my self beside going to out paitent theraphy. 1- make sure he get medication for leakage.. meaning he will pee on himself without knwing and what i been giving that works is call (oxybutinin) a pill in the morning and one at night. Also for spasm that works for me (baclofen 20mg n valium 5mg three times a day. As for bowel program they give you suppostory but later in time they will not work cause the body starts to change and when he have problem then I recommend magic bullet suppostory works awesome and it can be bought through the net. (important) cushion shower chair can get on ebay for 100 dollars. as well toilet seat rise need chushion because pressure sore can occur in the beginning you can feel and tend to toss your body around not knowing ur skin is fragile. I was given a toilet seat rise plastic but i bought rubber cheap slippers and rip the toe strap and glue them on the seat and it works. It will be tough learning but being patient will be helpful for himself and the family. Wish you well and feel free to ask question and i pray he gets healed fully or all that he can cause its a tough ride I tell you so understand how to mentally be patient and strong....
    life begins when you walk in spirit papito189@gmail.com

As far as exercises (keep in mind that rehab is not just PT and OT), he should be doing daily stretching (range of motion, ROM) exercises, even if it is painful. He should also be doing at least a 3X/week (daily is better) strengthening program with the muscles he can control, which he can do at home. Emphasis should be placed on good exercises that maintain muscle balance in the shoulder girdle especially.

He should also be standing in a standing frame, ideally at home, and ideally 1 hour daily. In addition, it would be great for him to find a sport that he enjoys that provides him with cardiovascular exercise. This will both help his endurance and function, but also help him to decrease pain (because it produces endorphins) and also help keep his weight under control. Weight gain is common once the person gets home and starts eating home cooked foods again. Examples would be hand cycling, swimming, wheelchair basketball or lacrosse, etc.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by brittani43 View Post
    Last night my was my brothers first night at home. It was scary for him to leave Rehab after 7 weeks but he's so glad to be around all of his family. He's still having nerve pain in his legs and it's moving into his feet. It seems like after his wife stretches his legs it gets worse. Is this normal? I hope he gets rid of the pain soon.

Also, he won't be doing the extensive Rehab he's been doing for a couple days but he'll be back at it on Monday. I'm scared the next Rehab place he's going to isn't going to push him as far. What should he be doing for Rehab at 2 moths post? He's moved his legs very little on his side and has some burning sensation down to his feet. He has great hip movement and good balance too. They stood him up on the parrelell bars about twice a week. We're hoping with time it'll be better.
    I was scared to death to leave the rehab the first time!! Actually the lady in my outpatient rehab pushed me harder than they did inside. Glad to hear his balance is good! I never regained mine.

Last night my brother's blood pressure was high, he had been in the wheel chair all day so the nurse thought with all the medication he's on it could result in high blood pressure. We got him to bed and his blood pressure was normal. He kept saying how his thighs felt really funny like he could move them. The last few nights when he gets in bed he says he feels like he should be able to pick his legs up, HE NEVER SAYS THAT. I can't decide if this is in his head or if it's something he's actually feeling. We told him to try and move his legs but it was more just hip movement that made his legs look like they were moving. I'm at a loss of what to do right now. He still has his back brace as he is still on "spinal cord precation" so it's limiting his thearpy. He only goes one day a week but does continue to do ROM/stretching 2x a day. Has anybody felt anything like this at this level? I'm so confused on what to do next.

Can he do more exercise than this? Is he able to get any home exercise equipment to use on his own or with the help of family. Equipment such as an arm ergometer, Vitaglide, free weights or a pulley system and Theraband can go a long ways to continuing daily or every other day strengthening and conditioning.

Were you (and he) taught about autonomic dysreflexia while he was in rehab? This is critical! That is probably the cause of his high blood pressure, and could be related to incorrect wheelchair fit or wheelchair cushion in addition to the more common causes (too full bladder, too full bowel, or any other sources of body pain below the level of injury). It is critical that you know about this, and what to do to manage it at home.

(KLD)

Thanks for the information. As far as (AD) I thought this was for people with higher level injuries than a T12. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

He's had a rough couple weeks. He has a partially collapsed lung and now has phneumonia in that lung. They put an IV in him and put him on stronger medication.

He's struggiling with his bottom hurting from sitting in the wheelchair so much. suggestions?

I'm a T12 and I have AD. Mine's tied to my bladder it seems.
    If I got to go I end up with stabbing pains in my hip/upper thigh.
    If I have a bladder infection the pain can just go wild.
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

My son is an L1. It took about six months before his blood pressure settled down. At first he would have to sit on the side of the bed for a while if he was going to adjust to being upright instead of laying down. Similarly if he moved any direction too fast. He also felt sick to his stomach too. It takes time, but it will likely pass -- just part of the adjustment process.

Is he on medication for the nerve pain -- such as neurontin?

feel free to message me with any questions.

best wishes.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt