Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: T12 - Incomplete . NEWBEE

T12 - Incomplete . NEWBEE

My brother shattered his t12 almost 2 months ago. He's been in Rehab the last month and I'm very confused.
    2 weeks ago they had him try and move his legs while laying on his side with a sliding board between them and he was able to do so. The last week the PT’s and OT’s have just been standing him on the parallel bars and working with him in his wheel chair. Why wouldn't they keep working with his legs? They still say "time will tell" whether he will walk or not.
    Also, he is having horrible nerve pain these last couple days. Does this mean it's a good thing that he's feeling it or could this pain last forever and bring back no more movement? His spirits have been awesome but he's starting to get down on himself because of this pain he's feeling............Any feedback would really help.

Brittani

Hi Brittani, welcome to the forum. I wish I had some answers for you, but I don't - it's still early days in your brother's rehab, and also my type of SCI is not similar to your brother's so I wouldn't hazard any guesses. But there are many, many people here who can help and this is the best forum online for the types of issues your family is facing. Best wishes to all of you.

It is still very early in his rehabilitation.

If they are standing him at parallel bars, they are working his legs. Walking is not just about movement. It is about feeling pressure and knowing where your feet are placed on the floor and many other things.

It can take many months.

I am the same level as your brother and incomplete also. Every injury is different. I have walked since six weeks after my accident. However, every injury is very different.

Give it some time, he could get some return up to five years post accident.

Is he doing water therapy? I learned to walk in water in 1989. It is excellent way to wake the muscles up and get them working again.

Good luck...feel free to ask any questions.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Brittani, what rehab center is your brother in? What are they giving him for the pain?

What the others have said here is true, every injury is different. I know how frustrating it can be not to have the answers. Many of us are still searching.

He's moving his legs. that's a very good sign

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=37378

as for the pain he's feeling, read this.

Hi "brittani43,"
    Welcome to the Care Cure Community. Your brother is lucky to have someone like you as his advocate and supporter.
    When a spinal cord injury occurs there is a lot of trauma to and swelling of the spinal column. It can take months (and not just a couple) for the trauma to heal and the swelling to reduce. When the therapists were working with your bother's legs, they were probably making an assessment of your brother's current status. They will more than likely make intermittent assessments as time goes on to determine what other therapies to add to his routine. Meantime, I suspect, your brothers rehabilitation therapists are trying to help him regain overall strength in those areas he can move and rebuild muscle mass that he may have lost during the acute phase of his injury. Whether your brother will regain some to full use of his legs is yet to be seen, and meanwhile, he has to have strength to help him perform transfers safely, bathe and dress himself, and get around in a manual wheelchair. Try to encourage your brother to get the most he can out of these weeks of rehabilitation so he can live as full a life as possible with a spinal cord injury.
    Pain is a huge drain on anyone, physically and mentally. Encourage him to speak with his doctors about the type and intensity of pain he is experiencing.
    Hope your brother will join in here at Care Cure. There are many people here who are excellent resources.

All the best,
    GJ

Wow - I really appreciate all the quick responses. This site seems incredible and it's making me feel better already!

Daisy - No, they haven't started him in water therapy but I hope they do at some point. He'll be at the Rehab center until April 21st, then he will have outpatient therapy in our home town.

Sharon - He is at St. Lukes Rehab in Cedar Rapids, IA. This is 2 hours away from his home. He has an awesome wife and a great support system - From what I hear that can really help

Imight - that link was VERY helpful! Thank you.

I do have another question. Brandon (my brother) is an avid golfer. Has anybody tried the paragolf? I think this is something he'd love to have.

Thanks everybody!

Here is a little more information about his accident.
    Brandon's accident occured while he was cutting down hedge trees with our Dad. He cut a tree expecting it to roll one direction but it rolled toward him, he attmepted to get out of the way but the it landed on his back. He was air lifted to Iowa City hospital immediately where he had a CAT scan and an MRI. From doing these tests the doctors found he had shattered his T12 vertibrae and had severe injury to his spinal cord. Because of his age, 27 and health the doctors determined he had a slim chance to regain the use of his lower body and decided to do surgery. Two neurosurgions performed a six hour surgery where they did everything they could do to repair the damage. The broken vertibrae was removed and rods were placed in his back to support his spinal cord. After surgery the family was told that "it is in God's hands" whether he will regain use of his lower body. We are hopeful that he will regain feeling and movement of his legs and be able to walk again.

Brittani, Sorry you had to find this place!!!!!!!!! There is alot of good info here also I sent you a pm with a link to a really good T12 thread.

Quote Originally Posted by brittani43 View Post
    Here is a little more information about his accident.
    Brandon's accident occured while he was cutting down hedge trees with our Dad. He cut a tree expecting it to roll one direction but it rolled toward him, he attmepted to get out of the way but the it landed on his back. He was air lifted to Iowa City hospital immediately where he had a CAT scan and an MRI. From doing these tests the doctors found he had shattered his T12 vertibrae and had severe injury to his spinal cord. Because of his age, 27 and health the doctors determined he had a slim chance to regain the use of his lower body and decided to do surgery. Two neurosurgions performed a six hour surgery where they did everything they could do to repair the damage. The broken vertibrae was removed and rods were placed in his back to support his spinal cord. After surgery the family was told that "it is in God's hands" whether he will regain use of his lower body. We are hopeful that he will regain feeling and movement of his legs and be able to walk again.
    Keep the mindset that all things are adaptable. He may not be able to perform things standing up but over the years..I have adapted things to sitting down and still lived a full life.

Doctors don't know either. It depends on how bad and where the break is.

Its a big change.

Ask him about the water and find out why he has not had water therapy? It is the best if he already has movement.

The water is still the best form of therapy even 22 years later.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown