Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: finally, an offroad handcycle that's got potential for quads - reactive adaptations

finally, an offroad handcycle that's got potential for quads - reactive adaptations

I've got a buddy in Colorado who is building offroad handcycles & such. He just finished the first prototype of a recumbent. Compared to others out there (e.g., Lasher), it's rear wheel drive, which will make all the difference offroad.

I'm super excited to see this thing develop.

Keep your eye on this company: ReActive Adaptations

Thoughts?

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Also check out his videos on youtube. wish i would've went to Jakes's shop and tried his bike when there, never tried an off road bike.

i still like the idea of dual rwd, as in the hase kettweisel...

theres also a quad grip in the works by a racer
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Looks good. I like the disc brakes and rear wheel drive. Gonna be a long chair but so what. I have some concerns the brake cable won't last long the way it is configured.

Dang, just when I thought my bike buying days were over something new like this comes out. Good it'll keep things inetersting.

All in all, I think it is a great innovation. Not all of us want to ride 2 1/2" off the road or be stuck with an in-efficient higher riding cycle. Hope he can keep the cost down. Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by amyk View Post
    i still like the idea of dual rwd, as in the hase kettweisel...
    yeah, well this'll be more stable, especially downhill.

I do like the Hase though... it's just serious coin for a import bike that has next to no info/reviews online.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    theres also a quad grip in the works by a racer
    nice. who? any mods for shifting/braking?

This looks like a similar set-up to the Greenspeed which I bought in 1998, except that it had 20" wheels and the seat was a mesh sling. The tadpole design with rear wheel drive arrangement are the same idea and with the mountain drive it was a pretty capable off-road bike.

This should be better for those that find low transfers difficult but the extra height could reduce stability when contouring accross slopes if the design is not pretty wide.
    Last edited by Adrian; 04-04-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Does the crank assembly swivel forward for transfers? I have a One-Off (did Reactive collab with Mike?) and practically speaking, I'd rather be upright and comfortable on a back country road than grinding on my chest straining my neck all the time to look up. Keep us updated -

if Greenspeed would get around to entering the 21st century, they might have something worthwhile.

there's mention of lowering the COG some for stability... comments on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by alpentalic View Post
    Does the crank assembly swivel forward for transfers? I have a One-Off (did Reactive collab with Mike?) and practically speaking, I'd rather be upright and comfortable on a back country road than grinding on my chest straining my neck all the time to look up. Keep us updated -
    this is just a prototype... and no, there's no collaboration w/ Mike.

I was out in CB last summer & Jake mentioned that he had broken more than one One-Offs, which is part of the reason he started building his own.