Thread: new van

new van

Just bought a 2002 Chrysler Grand Voyager, fully converted for self drive. Automatic side opening, kneeling, ramp lowering, wheel into drivers position, hand controls etc, etc. Has done 160,000 Kms.
    Has anyone got one and can give me feedback?
    I'm pretty excited about it, it's black, tinted windows and I think very sexy.

We have a 2000 Chrysler Grand Voyager. It hasn't been converted, though. We bought it new when I was still ab. It's been fabulous. It now has over 190,000 Kms, and is still in great shape. We have a towing package on ours, and had to replace the transmission at about 160,000 Kms, but we towed often and heavy when I was ab. Keep it well maintained by a good mechanic, and it should last past 320,000 Kms, IMO. It's a good vehicle. I know nothing about the conversion other than what I've been told by friends who have them that they are maintenance intensive.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Mine's a '96 Grand Voyager with the Braun conversion purchased new and currently with 127,000 miles. Had problems with the ramp last year. The motor shaft that lowers and raises the door broke so I had it welded back on. A small problem with the door chain catching on a metal plate causing the door to stop, but that's a minor inconvenience. The kneeling stopped working years ago, but I really didn't care. I think I had to replace a door sensor 2 years ago. That's pretty much it with the problems with the conversion. Overall, I really can't complain because it's better than the alternative, which is nothing at all. I would like to get a second vehicle, preferably a 4x4 like Scott's Wrangler, but right now I have other priorities. Don't let this bring you down. Enjoy your new ride.
    Last edited by vtran96; 04-04-2011 at 08:28 PM.

thanks for the feedback guys.
    I am waiting to get a bolt fixed to the underside of my powerchair so it can slot into the ezylocking device in the drivers position.
    I've had one drive of it when I transferred from my manual wheelchair onto the drivers seat, the steering is so light I spun the knob and nearly did a 360!
    The conversion is pretty much the same as the Braun, I looked up the Braun conversion on the internet. I hope my kneeling function doesn't die, I think it's great.
    The conversion on my van was only done 4 years ago so it's much younger than the van.

Partygirl, you made my day. I love it when someone is excited about a new purchase to make themselves even more independent.
    I have a 2000 Chysler Limited with the VMI system. One thing you will notice is that parking with van on a slight side incline may make going up the ramp harder. I use a manual and grab the passenger seat belt to pull my self up the steeper ramp angle. Also watch the speed bumps and steep driveways as the bottom will scrape due to it being lower. I usually go slow over them and places where I may scrape I drive at an angle rather than straight over them. You'll find out soon enough by the wicked scrapping sound.

It'll be so good for you with the van. May you have many thousands of troublefree miles er ummm kilometers. You deserve this girl, way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by partygirl View Post
    Just bought a 2002 Chrysler Grand Voyager, fully converted for self drive. Automatic side opening, kneeling, ramp lowering, wheel into drivers position, hand controls etc, etc. Has done 160,000 Kms.
    Has anyone got one and can give me feedback?
    I'm pretty excited about it, it's black, tinted windows and I think very sexy.
    sounds great, fill it up with gas and take off ................................
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan