Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy tube???

Where to buy tube???

I have suffered my first flat and took my tire to a local bike shop where I was told they would have been happy to repair my flat but no cycle shops carry this type of tube... something that I was never told!???

My tires are Kenda Kontender 25X1 - 559

Was this shop owner on crack or do I have to get the tubes from my chair dealer?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson233 View Post
    I have suffered my first flat and took my tire to a local bike shop where I was told they would have been happy to repair my flat but no cycle shops carry this type of tube... something that I was never told!???

My tires are Kenda Kontender 25X1 - 559

Was this shop owner on crack or do I have to get the tubes from my chair dealer?

Thanks.
    http://www.sportaid.com/25-559-tubes/

try www.sportaid.com

I would order the tools (tire lever, presta valves, small mobile air compressor, tubes and rim liners) and change them yourself (assuming you have some hand function and can do it). I'm a C7 and have limited hand function and can manage it.

I usually keep a stock of 5-10 tubes on hand. I average 1-2 flats a month (sometimes I'll go 3 months without a flat and then have several in one week) and can change tubes out in about 10 minutes. If you travel, it never hurts to take one or two with you as well.

I always keep spare tubes on hand. Bike shops often do not have some sizes unless they have regular customers using them. I always carry some when going out of town. It is often easy to find a bike shops or some other place that will change them, but they seldom have a tube you need. I have an out-of-town duffel bag filled with tubes, spokes, tubes, cushion patches, etc.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I strongly recommend these...

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=132121

Patton57,

You are averaging way more flats than anyone I know. Personally, I might get 1-2 per year. Sounds like something's up. What tires do you use?

i might get one flat a year, guess i'm lucky with the 24" tires, i get tubes at kmart, i keep a couple tubes, 12v compressor and tools in a bag in my van
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    I strongly recommend these...

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=132121

Patton57,

You are averaging way more flats than anyone I know. Personally, I might get 1-2 per year. Sounds like something's up. What tires do you use?
    My spoke care is very poor, I do a bit of off road pushing/turning and there is a 4 inch step that I pop up to get in and out of my house several times a day. My body weight is also over 200 lbs and I am often carrying things.

I have 24 inch Sun rims and use 24 x 1 Primo tires and generic tubes. My flats often occur shortly after I do the 4 inch pops and drops and when I turn sharply from a resting position on soft ground. I also have a cat that uses the tires as a scratching post. He has only popped them once as far as I can tell though (hit the sidewall with his claws on some very old tires I had on).

I'm guessing my weight, poorly maintained spokes and how I hit the 4 inch brick threshold are the main culprits.

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    My spoke care is very poor, I do a bit of off road pushing/turning and there is a 4 inch step that I pop up to get in and out of my house several times a day. My body weight is also over 200 lbs and I am often carrying things.

I have 24 inch Sun rims and use 24 x 1 Primo tires and generic tubes. My flats often occur shortly after I do the 4 inch pops and drops and when I turn sharply from a resting position on soft ground. I also have a cat that uses the tires as a scratching post. He has only popped them once as far as I can tell though (hit the sidewall with his claws on some very old tires I had on).

I'm guessing my weight, poorly maintained spokes and how I hit the 4 inch brick threshold are the main culprits.
    Wait a minute, spoke maintenance?? What does that entail?

Thanks to everyone for their input, I'll order some tubes and learn how to do it myself eventually!

Quote Originally Posted by jackson233 View Post
    Wait a minute, spoke maintenance?? What does that entail?

Thanks to everyone for their input, I'll order some tubes and learn how to do it myself eventually!
    Spokes tend to loosen over time. If you don't have the wheel (the spokes) trued up occasionally then the loose spokes can poke the inner tube and puncture it.

A good bike mechanic can true your wheels while you wait and they usually just charge you labor unless you want them to replace some of the spokes. Since I don't have it done regularly I can't tell you how often you should do it.

My wheels are 8 years old and it has been 5 years or more since I had it done.

Patton, it sounds like you might be using the wrong rim strip (liner). Try going to your local bike shop and getting some Velox rim strips. They are specifically for high pressure (road bike type) tires and should not be punctured as easily by spokes. While you are there, have them do some spoke maintenance. You can buy the tool to tighten your own spokes and not ever let them get to the point where they are THAT loose. All spokes should be tight and "sing" the same tune when flicked.
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!