Thread: New L1 injury

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New L1 injury

I needed this! I have an incomplete L1 that occurred 3 months ago! I'm walking in crutches and just walked with a cane yesterday (40 ft). I have to walk with a cane to go back to work and be able to bend over in 3 months from now to get my job back. I find though that I have no balance and I have lost all muscles below my knees. My feet are still called "dead" due to I can't move them. I'm scared and am afraid of not reaching my goal.

Quote Originally Posted by CW2404 View Post
    I needed this! I have an incomplete L1 that occurred 3 months ago! I'm walking in crutches and just walked with a cane yesterday (40 ft). I have to walk with a cane to go back to work and be able to bend over in 3 months from now to get my job back. I find though that I have no balance and I have lost all muscles below my knees. My feet are still called "dead" due to I can't move them. I'm scared and am afraid of not reaching my goal.
    I also am L1 inc 4 1/2 mo post, I am using walker and around the house I walk alone not good yet. Do you have neuropothy in your feet as wxplain as dead, I have neuropothy and do not have good balance. Can you get into water therapy, it helps so much with the walking, in the water it is so easy and pain is less. Don't feel bad about being scared it is normal. If you want to pm me we could talk farther about injury. Don't give up it is not easy, but it is possible
    JeAnNE L1Burst Fracture inc. 11/5/10

Live Well--Laugh often

Are you in rehab? You may need KFO's a brace for your footm and knee, it just straps under your knee and across the shin, then goes to the end of your shoe(for drop foot), hope this site is a load of help to you, paralysis is no fun.

My son (18) is an L1 four years post. He too has no movement below the knees and his feet are "dead." He walks using forearm crutches and AFOs (braces that wrap the foot, ankle and got to just above mid shin). Walking with a can was a goal early on but he just doesn't have the balance to do it for any length of time. He uses crutches about 60 percent of the time and a chair 40 percent of the time.

Can they modify your job responsibilities?

We did find that a recumbent exercise bike did wonders for improving his leg strength.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Take care!
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

Welcome Carecure...sorry to hear of your injury.

I am T12-L3 with a burst fracture and a fusion

I walk with AFO's and a cane. My accident happened 22 years ago. My feet are dead too as I have no movement either from the knees down. I do have pain.

I started out with forearm crutches/AFO's also.

You are doing great. It takes time and you have to build your strength and tolerance up. If memory serves me correct..it was 3-4 months before I could walk with a cane. I actually went to one forearm crutch before a cane.

What in your job requires you to bend over? They couldn't make an accomodation and you sit when you bend over?

I have always been a liability to my employers so I was not allowed to lift or carry heavy stuff nor climb step stools. I just used common sense not to injure myself and become a workmen's comp claim for my employer.

Under the ADA you can ask for a reasonable accomodation.

Good luck and keep working at it..you will get stronger and better at walking.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Hello,
    And although I hate that u had to find this forum welcome! I had an L1 burst fracture. 8 years post. You are still very early in your recovery and hopefully you will still get some return. I agree with everything people have said. Rehab, correct AFO's, reasonable accomodatins. It will take a bit to know exactly what u will need permenantly but doing it correctly will save u pain and help in your recovery. Feel free to ask questions. There are a ton of people willing and able to help you with anything and everything.

Welcome to the forum, and best wishes on your rehab.

Quote Originally Posted by CW2404 View Post
    Hello,
    I am also an L1 (Feb 1 10), all i can tell you I thought I would be up and walking in a month.... No!! It takes a Long time! I starred walking fully on my own and that took approx 8 months. Last week I walked two miles on my own. However, my legs and muscles are not what it use to be. I am 95 percent of what I use to be. My legs are not longer tight. And, I still deal with back pain. I use a patch. I can bend more now, but not like b4. All I can say is it will take time. I went from a wheel chair, walker, cane, holding on to walls and I fell MANY times. It's long and SsssLlllOoooooWwwwww...... Good luck.
    I wish you well in your recovery

You're doing pretty well if you're up and around after three months. Learning to walk again will be a long process, but if you understand that and are diligent with your therapy, you'll give yourself the best chance. I'm 9 months post and L1 and L5 injury. I can walk with a cane now but prefer two canes when I'm out of the house. My balance is getting better but it has taken time. I expect that you will continue to improve. As they say, it can be up to two years before you know what function will return and what you will have to accommodate in other ways. Good luck to you!