Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's a hypothetical situation to ponder.

Here's a hypothetical situation to ponder.

Let's say there's a new, wondrous surgical treatment that offers a complete paraplegic a significant improvement to motor function. An eminent surgeon gives his brief on the treatment to the patient for informed consent, and the patient, after lots of consideration, refuses the treatment and leaves.

What could have been the reason?

I know of a few people who have said they are in no rush for a cure. They have worked hard to accomplish what they have and finally have come to peace with their situation. To start all over again would be too much.

Dr.'s aren't the one's taking the risks. If his description wasn't able to "sell" the proceedure then either his explanation was lacking or the patient used their own criteria to evaluate the +/-'s of the procedure and opted to not go that route. For instance, when I was in the hospital following breaking my back I had a pulmonary embolism. Treatment is blood thinners, but there is a fine line between too thin, and not thin enough. While trying to find this line, I had internal bleeding. The Dr.'s all suggested the "greenfield filter" or IVC filter. The technology at the time was fairly new, not much information re: long term effects. The Dr. was adamant. But his description of possible effects was lacking. I declined. A couple of months ago I saw a class action lawsuit regarding the IVC filter and all the problems involved were the problems I had envisioned (seemed like common sense to me) had I allowed them to install it.

http://www.youhavealawyer.com/ivc-fi...-recovery.html

So many reasons but the obvious ones are:

1) It is an unproven procedure/therapy ie not approved by a medical authority
    2) The individual may not want to risk further neurological loss
    3) The individual might actually not want any improvement (as lepups3 says above there are many in the community who feel this way)
    4) The surgeon may have a chequered track record in the field
    5) The cost maybe too high (especially if the chances of benefit are modest at best)

Define significant improvement. I would take more risks to get bowel and bladder function back than I would to walk.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Define significant improvement. I would take more risks to get bowel and bladder function back than I would to walk.
    You cannot separate B&B from any other functional return. The science is the same.

Fly, what can we , as chronics expect, versus what will acutes get in the near future. As I see it, there will be treatments that will come for acutes that will prevent a life in a chair. This will be huge and is coming. Chronics may get some functions back but the dilemna is when and at what cost. With the funding and arguing at this point in time; our dilemna will be when and what. I know that when polio was cured with the vaciine; those who would have got it never new; because the vaciine worked. Those that had polio died in iron lungs. I see our mountain as never ending and getting steeper and steeper everyday. I can only hope and pray that I'm wrong and something will happen for chronics.

keeping on

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
    You cannot separate B&B from any other functional return. The science is the same.
    a) You miss the "hypothetical" part of the thread?

b) Which science? The science that has cured SCI? Last I checked it wasn't cured so your point is not valid.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    a) You miss the "hypothetical" part of the thread?

b) Which science? The science that has cured SCI? Last I checked it wasn't cured so your point is not valid.
    Ok, so maybe not in the context of this "hypothetical" thread....

.........But, I have seen numerous misguided surveys which suggest that B&B is top of list of wants of the SCI community. Although I can understand this is very important, it can "hypothetically" be the difference between the limited funding that exists in the field being directed to bionic technologies, implants etc rather than regenerative technologies.

We have to be very careful with this message. The reality is that B&B return is a by-product of the regeneration of the spinal cord - rather than an isolated outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
    Ok, so maybe not in the context of this "hypothetical" thread....

.........But, I have seen numerous misguided surveys which suggest that B&B is top of list of wants of the SCI community. Although I can understand this is very important, it can "hypothetically" be the difference between the limited funding that exists in the field being directed to bionic technologies, implants etc rather than regenerative technologies.

We have to be very careful with this message. The reality is that B&B return is a by-product of the regeneration of the spinal cord - rather than an isolated outcome.
    Nerve rerouting to regain bladder control has already been accomplished in China. I don't recall the specifics, but it wasn't a by-product of regenerating the spinal nerves.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!