Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question about pushing myself in my chair...

Yes, I agree with that. I saw a video with a woman who was missing one leg and used a prothetic but also used a wheelchair for longer distances. She was in and out of the chair all the time and made it look totally natural. It got me thinking for sure.

At this point there are two things. One is that I have noticed one of my front wheels doesn't change direction as easily as the other. Have a post on the 'equipment' area. The other thing is that I am trying to get stronger and the only way to do that is to practice practice practice! Hehe

I guess in my original post here I just wasn't sure if I was doing something terribly wrong to be having so much trouble. It simply sounds like I need to build up a lot more muscles before I will make it 'look' easy.

Now that my mom is gone I am going to really start taking the chair with me so I can build up that strength so when I need it I will have it. There is no sense in not being able to walk far and not be able to push myself in my chair far. Then I just can't go ANYWHERE! Hehe

its all about repetition. as for steep ramps, i go down backward. sounds crazy, but i lean forward and press on rim tire w/ palm and forarm to control speed. do it w/ a spotter 1st.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Hi Oli,
    You and I are in THE same boat. Don't know where you live but if you're near Chicago look me up. I've had two major reconstructive spine surgeries and have rods, hooks, and screws in what's left of my lumbar spine. I can walk PERFECTLY FINE for about 45 seconds, literally. Then the trouble starts: severe pain. I, too, have a chair (Colours Spazz) and I'm encountering the very same issues that you are: tilted sidewalks, steep ramps, relatives (boyfriend in particular) who for some reason feel ashamed to be seen with me when I decide I need to use the chair (I'm giving in to the pain, or they tell me: "I have back pain, too, and I don't use a chair!". I'm trying to build arm strength but am developing some shoulder and elbow pain. Look me up via PM if you'd like to chat. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sue132 View Post
    relatives (boyfriend in particular) who for some reason feel ashamed to be seen with me when I decide I need to use the chair (I'm giving in to the pain, or they tell me: "I have back pain, too, and I don't use a chair!".
    That's not right and I'm really sorry to hear that you have people in your life that just don't understand.

Wow I'm sorry. I am lucky that my husband 'seems' to be able to deal with it ok. I think he is a little weirded out but tolerating it well enough. Probably since having a wife that never leaves home sucks so much that anything to get me out is good.

My problem is all of our acquaintances in our industry that we run into around town or when I went to and industry event and they all thought I fell off my horse and got hurt. Or else they thought I was weird or faking...

I am certainly not used to the explaining yet. My hubby also fumbled me up and down some little steps and we looked a mess. I would rather learn myself!

Sue, why are you with a boyfriend that is ashamed of the fact that you have to use a chair. Their are plenty of men that understand....

Quote Originally Posted by Sue132 View Post
    Hi Oli,
    You and I are in THE same boat. Don't know where you live but if you're near Chicago look me up. I've had two major reconstructive spine surgeries and have rods, hooks, and screws in what's left of my lumbar spine. I can walk PERFECTLY FINE for about 45 seconds, literally. Then the trouble starts: severe pain. I, too, have a chair (Colours Spazz) and I'm encountering the very same issues that you are: tilted sidewalks, steep ramps, relatives (boyfriend in particular) who for some reason feel ashamed to be seen with me when I decide I need to use the chair (I'm giving in to the pain, or they tell me: "I have back pain, too, and I don't use a chair!". I'm trying to build arm strength but am developing some shoulder and elbow pain. Look me up via PM if you'd like to chat. :-)
    they dont have a clue do they? I dont either since my pins and wires have been removed.

I know a few folks with hardware like you describe. I dont think they have given in.
    My sister says she will pray for my pain. I told her dont bother.
    pray for my upcoming surgery. the pain is here to stay. She thinks I have no faith, but I do. I have faith that the pain is what it is, and will probably not change unless it gets worse. It isnt that I dont believe in god, just that I dont think God is going to change things and make it all better.

anyway, why dont you get a crutch mount for your chair? you can use it as a walker too, (the chair)and your crutches or canes on the back indicate that you can walk some.

Smile He can

Jody, why dont' you think GOD is going to make it all better. I understand that GOD made me the way I am for a reason and that HE has a plan for me and you but saying not to bother praying for your pain is the wrong attitude to have. If you have faith he may heal you from your pain but still be disabled wouldn't that be better than where you are now????? I ask GOD for things all the time (honestly not as much as I should) and he has opened doors for me and put me in a life I never dreamed i would have. I don't not ask for something because I think HE wont bless me with it. I have been in a wheelchair for as long as I can remember..When I was younger I never thought I would graduate High School, then go to college and receive two college degrees but I did by praying to GOD. The 14 years ago I applied to be a 911 dispatcher and honestly I never saw myself with the job but I prayed about it and not only did I get the job but here i am 14 years later in charge of the place. I have had a great life and I do not consider myself disabled at all and all of it is because of GOD. So please continue to pray for everything including your pain to go away.

I always assume people have great lives because of the choices they make and the people they are. I don't really think anyone else has anything to do with it. YOU made your life.

That being said, I don't mind people praying for me. Hey, no skin off my back. If it works, great. If it doesn't, I am still responsible for my own life.

The only thing that bothers me is when people thank god after a successful surgery when it was the surgeon that did all the work!