Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Getting new power chair, I have some questions

  1. #1

    Getting new power chair, I have some questions

    This week I went to a seating clinic apointment as I'm getting a new power chair. I have been presented with three choices, mdiwheel, front wheel, and rear wheel. While I have liked the manurverability of the midwheel (which is what I have now) I have had problems with the handling of it on bumps, and small threahsholds. I have a 100 year old house with sanded down threasholds. In a couple of cases I have a small ramp that has been installed as the sunroom/mudroom is a diferent level than the kitchen and another small ramp from the kitchen into the living room. The diferent sections of the house were build in diferent time periods, as is often the case with old homes, they built them at different levels by a few inches. My entry ramp is wraped partially around the house and I turn to enter the house on the top 4 foot square. For some reason my TDX has a tendency to pull to the left, even if I am aiming the chair in the oposite direction. I also find it wig-wags at time making direction hard to control. I have had the chair fo 6 years. Its an older style TDX. the rep says the TDX SP is greatly improved, but has a tendency if stuck to "grind into the ground" as your entire body wieght is over the tires. She also showed me the front wheel drive and she said it has guts, but how is the steering? I had a rearwheel drive in the past and liked it the best so far. Its the Invacare storm. Has anyone have some thoughts??
    Disability is not a medical problem with social issues, but rather a social problem with medical issues.
    Franklin D. Rosevelt

  2. #2
    I too, am looking at the possible acquistion of p c. My good friend and owner of the DME store where I get my stuff is telling me that Permobil has a new M300 midwheel pc just out.

    It has a newly designed midwheel that offers better traction and is capable of going over 4'" thresholds without losing any traction.

    There have been some recent threads started on the subject. Good luck, I'll be watching what the others suggest also.

  3. #3
    Tweetybird,

    I have a 1 year old TDX-SR and they have improved greatly from the older models. I previously had a TDX5 and needed to do some major reprogramming to get it to not do what yours is doing. After reprogramming the TDX5 worked really well. The TDX-SR/SP is much better. I have the SR because I really like the GB motors and have always had problems with wheelchair gearboxes.

    WRT the FWD chair. I purchased a used Permobile from a guy in Canada and was pretty excited to have found such a good deal. After shiiping it from Canada, I got it home a tried to drive it -- holy crap a FWD is a major pain. Nothing makes any sense and would take a lot of time and sheetrock repair to figure out. I quickly sold it and purchased the TDX5. Just make sure you try one before you purchase one. If you can, get the TDX SR. If you can only get the SP you could do much worse. I've never had any issues with my chair "grinding into the ground". The stability lock really doesn't let the front and rear wheels raise while the center wheels drop. It's been my experience that this is mostly caused by a programming issue.

    Good luck!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I too, am looking at the possible acquistion of p c. My good friend and owner of the DME store where I get my stuff is telling me that Permobil has a new M300 midwheel pc just out.

    It has a newly designed midwheel that offers better traction and is capable of going over 4'" thresholds without losing any traction.

    There have been some recent threads started on the subject. Good luck, I'll be watching what the others suggest also.
    An issue with the M300 Corpus has to do with their decision to use 8" casters. The upside is that the chair will handle very well outdoors and climb over obstacles better than most other midwheel drive platforms.

    Permobil's spec for the length of the M300 and the actual functional overall length are very different, however. Power center mount legrests almost become mandatory since bringing them in > ~70 degrees causes the electronics to inhibit maximum speed because the footplates won't completely clear the casters.

    In fact, the M300 will not be more maneuverable than a C300 in a confined area unless it is also equipped with a power elevating seat as well. The seat elevator will allow the footplates to be raised completely above the casters so the legrest can be brought all the way in.


  5. #5
    Thanks for that SCI. Nice to go there prepared with this info.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Thanks for that SCI. Nice to go there prepared with this info.
    You're welcome. As you have said, make sure you use whatever chair you demo in the environment in which you intend to use it. Also, ask many questions and try to identify if there are adjustments to minimize the overall footprint of the chair. This is an area where many manufacturers seem less concerned than end users. The chairs are oftentimes assembled using the "longest common denominator" for certain options. It took some repositioning of the power seating system to get a 39" overall length on that TDX SP (which isn't bad at all considering that it has power tilt and that the "fixed front frame" is based on 70 degree tapered swingaways).

    The pic below would not be a configuration you would be looking at, but it is a good example of what I'm describing. Note that with a midwheel drive chair, any reduction on the overall length of the chair also represents an identical reduction in turning radius...


  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweetybird View Post
    This week I went to a seating clinic apointment as I'm getting a new power chair. I have been presented with three choices, mdiwheel, front wheel, and rear wheel. While I have liked the manurverability of the midwheel (which is what I have now) I have had problems with the handling of it on bumps, and small threahsholds. I have a 100 year old house with sanded down threasholds. In a couple of cases I have a small ramp that has been installed as the sunroom/mudroom is a diferent level than the kitchen and another small ramp from the kitchen into the living room. The diferent sections of the house were build in diferent time periods, as is often the case with old homes, they built them at different levels by a few inches. My entry ramp is wraped partially around the house and I turn to enter the house on the top 4 foot square. For some reason my TDX has a tendency to pull to the left, even if I am aiming the chair in the oposite direction. I also find it wig-wags at time making direction hard to control. I have had the chair fo 6 years. Its an older style TDX. the rep says the TDX SP is greatly improved, but has a tendency if stuck to "grind into the ground" as your entire body wieght is over the tires. She also showed me the front wheel drive and she said it has guts, but how is the steering? I had a rearwheel drive in the past and liked it the best so far. Its the Invacare storm. Has anyone have some thoughts??




    I have had a TDX-SP for a couple of years. I got stuck one time when I was in very soft sand and tried to climb up about three inch floor. I did not attempt this moving, I just eased up to it. This is the only way I have found to get it stuck. Here is a video showing how they can perform...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU6NBZ1vKhI The chair will work as demonstrated. I have tried a few of these moves but not the high speed ones. I also have the elevating seat which let me reach many more items on shelves and cabinets than in the past.

    The mid-wheel drive chairs are very maneuverable in small places but tend to wiggle at high speeds. The rear wheel drives chairs are less maneuverable but more stable at high speeds.

    Good luck on your choice.


    Note: When your chair is hard to maneuver at slow speeds, you need to cut back your power setting.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne


  8. #8
    Thanks Mill, more added info for me to ponder.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Katilea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    385
    Hi

    I had home demo of a TDX last Tuesday as I think that is the one NHS are going to give me. I tried it on gravel, steep slopes, through a tight A frame and swing gate (kissing gate) and over grass in nearest park where I want to be able to get my dog in and it handled really well.

    It will be mainly for indoor but I like to take my dog in that park a few times a week and my mobility scooter is too long. I'd never driven a MWD before having only owned RWD and mobility scooters but I preferred the TDX over the FWD chairs I tried.

  10. #10
    Good points Kat. YOu're the best!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-29-2012, 05:48 AM
  2. Power wheels vs Power chair
    By Patrick Madsen in forum Equipment
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-28-2011, 03:58 PM
  3. Insurance And Power Chair Coverage Questions
    By GroovyWheeler in forum Equipment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-07-2009, 01:33 PM
  4. Questions about my power chair
    By alittleslower in forum Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-16-2007, 07:44 PM
  5. Power Chair Bowling & Power Soccer Resource
    By SCI-Nurse in forum Recreation, Sports, Travel, & Hobbies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-14-2006, 12:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •