Thread: Will Worker's Comp pay for a family member to be my caregiver?

Will Worker's Comp pay for a family member to be my caregiver?

I am tired of having a caregiver around. No matter how good they are, it is irritating and exhausting to have a half-stranger in the house so much and maintain a cordial relationship.

Is it possible for WC to pay a family member or family members instead?

It depends on the WC company you are dealing with, and may also depend on WC regulations and laws in your state. You should ask your WC case manager. Often they will not do this as they want to deal with an agency which provides them with reports on a regular basis.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Kari in Pacific NW View Post
    I am tired of having a caregiver around. No matter how good they are, it is irritating and exhausting to have a half-stranger in the house so much and maintain a cordial relationship.

Is it possible for WC to pay a family member or family members instead?
    My work comp will pay for family to do my caregiving. Medical and household. They are only payed minimum wage. If they had any medical training they would get more, but otherwise they get paid minimum.

I think SCI nurse is right though. I think it depends on what work comp company you have.

They paid me for about a year then they cut us off. O ya and they are cutting us off $2200 a month this month. Bastards!

They said yes if the family member becomes an actual employee of the same agency we are dealing with now and all current protocols, including weekly reports, are followed. The agency requires all new hires to have a TB test, fingerprints, a few hours of overall training, and CPR training. The pay will be a dollar or so higher than minimum wage here--not sure exactly how much yet, but my current caregiver, who has no prior work experience at all, is making about $9.50.

We are setting up an interview with the caregiving agency and will see how it goes.